• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately, it's all about the game being interesting enough for everyone. Honestly, not that much needs to be done there. All I want is for the natural looking environments to be back, and they more likely will since Let's Go was mostly for nostalgia purposes.

Abilities are pretty much the only huge thing the Let’s Go players are unaware of.

The concept of items would be pretty easy to understand since that’s an advanced version of using evolution items in Go.

They could release short trailers of Pokemon showing off their abilities so that Let’s Go players can understand them, like they released a trailer with old megas for Lets Go.
What about the existence of other 650 pokemon with plenty of new evolutionary methods and moves? What about weather conditions? What about day/night cicle? What about normal stats that cannot be boosted to the extreme and how to evs train properly? What about strategy in battle to defeat real opponents? What about a real plot? What about eggs, destiny knot, everstone? What about Z moves? What about multiverse and UBs? And as you said, abilities, items etc. which are not that simple to forget if you consider that Cloyster with shell smash and skill link, 252+ Attack/Speed and Focus Sash is a completly different pokemon from a normal cloyster which is basically unuseful.
There are so many things that LGPE lack of that imo GF simply understood there's no way a new player can play a main serie game as they would like to, so they decided to split the main serie.
But LGPE are seriously mediocre games: after Mewtwo there's litterally nothing else to do if you don't count the master trainers (and no one can seriously consider the master trainers cause no one would seriously face lv 70 caterpie and pidgey for no reward). And let's not talk about all the frames drops which are just embarassing for the biggest franchise of all times. I can understand the decision behind LG serie but I'm just not ok with the result.
Those games are 22 years old now, GF should understand that they have to stop to 1:1 remake old things.

What about the existence of other 650 pokemon with plenty of new evolutionary methods and moves? What about weather conditions? What about day/night cicle? What about normal stats that cannot be boosted to the extreme and how to evs train properly? What about strategy in battle to defeat real opponents? What about a real plot? What about eggs, destiny knot, everstone? What about Z moves? What about multiverse and UBs? And as you said, abilities, items etc. which are not that simple to forget if you consider that Cloyster with shell smash and skill link, 252+ Attack/Speed and Focus Sash is a completly different pokemon from a normal cloyster which is basically unuseful.
There are so many things that LGPE lack of that imo GF simply understood there's no way a new player can play a main serie game as they would like to, so they decided to split the main serie.
But LGPE are seriously mediocre games: after Mewtwo there's litterally nothing else to do if you don't count the master trainers (and no one can seriously consider the master trainers cause no one would seriously face lv 70 caterpie and pidgey for no reward). And let's not talk about all the frames drops which are just embarassing for the biggest franchise of all times. I can understand the decision behind LG serie but I'm just not ok with the result.
Those games are 22 years old now, GF should understand that they have to stop to 1:1 remake old things.
Go players are not stupid you know. Half of what you said needs no explaining. Day and Night cycles? What ._. "Real plot" ? How does extra story content alienate people? UBs are pretty much Pokemon with a few gimmicks. So no problem there.

Held items and abilities are the only real difference. And if people who started playing Pokemon at later gens got it then I'm sure people who are more familiar with Pokemon will do too.

Go players are not stupid you know. Half of what you said needs no explaining. Day and Night cycles? What ._. "Real plot" ? How does extra story content alienate people? UBs are pretty much Pokemon with a few gimmicks. So no problem there.

Held items and abilities are the only real difference. And if people who started playing Pokemon at later gens got it then I'm sure people who are more familiar with Pokemon will do too.
It's not a matter of how smart people are but of how interested people are. Casual players usually don't like highly complex games to start a franchise, simply (Look at Pokemon Go and at how it was handled for example). There are pokemon that can be found/evolved only during a specific part of the day, the entire multiverse thing took 5 years of development in pokemon games, it's not something you can put there one day and expect people to accept and fully understand it as a fact. What I meant is not that people cannot understand those things but that there are too many things to understand in a single game. You expect a casual player to face all the pokemon/gimmicks/features/abilities/items that old fans had 20 years to get used to.

It's not a matter of how smart people are but of how interested people are. Casual players usually don't like highly complex games to start a franchise, simply (Look at Pokemon Go and at how it was handled for example). There are pokemon that can be found/evolved only during a specific part of the day, the entire multiverse thing took 5 years of development in pokemon games, it's not something you can put there one day and expect people to accept and fully understand it as a fact. What I meant is not that people cannot understand those things but that there are too many things to understand in a single game. You expect a casual player to face all the pokemon/gimmicks/features/abilities/items that old fans had 20 years to get used to.
Yes because not everyone started at Gen I. Many players got into Pokemon in Gen VI and VII where thing were arguably more complicated. So yeah people can get used to it. Pokemon isn't even that complex when it comes to jrpgs.

Well you should expect them to not know whats going on from previous titles while still being able to enjoy the game. You can pick up USUM and never have played any other pokemon game and still have fun with it.
I only played the first assassins creed and then recently played syndicate, I didn't go in expecting all the previous games plot lines to be explained to me but regardless I was able to have fun with the game. The point is play this game don't worry about previous titles unless you get invested enough to care.

You are with a lot of people who are afraid the series is going to BECOME Let's Go and trash the complexity that existed from this point forward. When thinking about it myself, I pondered how exactly they plan on bringing people into stuff like items and abilities should they return. You'd end up with the same problem as if Let's Go didn't exist, the game is too complicated for Go players to comprehend. They either have been gutted permanently or they honestly think people can learn that many things right off the bat.

Sorry fam but I don't want the breathtaking Sinnoh region to be drawn in an infantile art style. Don't you dare to judge people without knowing their reason as to why they are against something. I couldn't care less about the mechanics being simplified. As long as they don't ridicule Hikari's looks and that of the Sinnoh region's, I'm fine with everything, including simplified mechanics (of which I don't give a thing about).

Guys I'm not saying that no one has ever played a pokemon game without playing everything before, what I'm saying is that GF created LGPE to attract those milions of players who never played pokemon before apart from Go or that had left pokemon during the years. You do not attract those people with a higly complex game. This is why Pokemon Go started with no battles, not all pokemon, no holding items, no trade, no day/night cycle/no weather etc. But now they're gradually introducing all that stuff. LGPE is just the same, it's the first step for another type of players. You can't expect all of them to jump from that to the "real" switch game. Some of them will but most of them would rather buy the sequel of LGPE. This is why GF created this parallel serie. I'm totally fine with its existence, they just have to make good games even if easier and not what we got 3 weeks ago.

Guys I'm not saying that no one has ever played a pokemon game without playing everything before, what I'm saying is that GF created LGPE to attract those milions of players who never played pokemon before apart from Go or that had left pokemon during the years. You do not attract those people with a higly complex game. This is why Pokemon Go started with no battles, not all pokemon, no holding items, no trade, no day/night cycle/no weather etc. But now they're gradually introducing all that stuff. LGPE is just the same, it's the first step for another type of players. You can't expect all of them to jump from that to the "real" switch game. Some of them will but most of them would rather buy the sequel of LGPE. This is why GF created this parallel serie. I'm totally fine with its existence, they just have to make good games even if easier and not what we got 3 weeks ago.
Ok so let's say these let's go players continue the franchise one game at time by the time they get to lets go sinnoh we're going to need to restart again because of the same problem of people never playing the older games because its a new generation. It would be a continuous cycle, Gamefreak needs to accept its ok if some kid born today doesn't know what Kanto is 10 years from now, just that that kid needs to like what they're putting out at that time, while not insulting players who have been to kanto 3 times now. If that kid gets invested in their new games they'll go back to find the old games its that simple. As far as machanics go hold items is not confusing abilties are not confusing I see no reason why those were removed BUT NATURES STAY.

If there was ONE thing I didn't understand as a kid it was natures. The held items tell you what they do, the abilities tell you what they do I had no hard time what so ever understanding them at 6 years old, I even knew going into the elite four to buy a **** ton of potions and won using stall startgies (probably I don't remember, just remember I did it on my first try) but natures are just there like "hey I'm here whats up don't worry about me I just effect how good your pokemons stats turn out but we won't tell you that unless you find a very obscure line from an npc"

To be honest, Pokémon GO is becoming complex on its own merit. It's just different from the console series.

And I don't think Game Freak plans to be releasing several games for beginners, I think the main traditional series is already careful enough with them. They just wanted to capitalize on GO's success (although a bit late, which is normal, games aren't developed in just a day), and then they released Let's Go. I can see them releasing a Let's Go Johto. But anything beyond that would not be worth the cost, I think. There will always be more people interested in a new traditional remake of Hoenn (even though the latter has been released "recently") than in a Let's Go Hoenn format.

I kind of find it funny that Plus and Minus are being brought up again as of late, especially when the original rumor was really specific with the console it would be on that was basically describing the Switch. Of course the rest of the rumor has been proven fake, but it kind of makes me wonder just how many rumors are made because people jump the gun in their "leaks" by revealing beta info that isn't final, or how many rumors are formed by an accidental mixup of real info. Of course rumors are just rumors, but it's kind of interesting to think about the "temporary" truth or the truth that is caught in a theoretical web of other truths until you get a lie.

Considering how old it is, it's funny. It's curious how an old rumour like that had somewhat accurate information on a console that wasn't released until 3 years later, and the years up until the Switch's actual reveal were utterly riddled with fake leaks.

Sorry, but honestly, there's no chance of that rumor being real.

The Nintendo Switch format (a hybrid console, portable and home console) had already been debated and "rumored" long before the release of the Plus and Minus rumor.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the rumor dealt with things like: the final evolutions of the starters and their types, the legendaries and their types, statues that would be inside the game, new mechanics, how it would connect to Bank, and all sorts of things that are impossible of knowing in the initial part of the development. In addition, many of that has already been proven as fake (Pokkén Teaser). And the development of the next game should have started in 2016~early 2017, as they always do (2 months after the last release), and the rumor said that they were developing the game in 2014.

I'm sorry for those who liked the rumor, but it's definitely fake.

Last edited:
true, but if these are always available for virtual download to consoles...
Unless you know...

(gen 4 through 5 cry in a corner with their now unuseable wifi )

something happens

Now yeah for the switch any games released will be downloadable in the near future but when the switch U (because you know nintendo would so name it that) comes out and you can no longer down load on a current console it becomes useless. Or if they shut down any more older console wifi systems...

*3ds and wii u currently having a stare down with nintendo *

Ok so let's say these let's go players continue the franchise one game at time by the time they get to lets go sinnoh we're going to need to restart again because of the same problem of people never playing the older games because its a new generation. It would be a continuous cycle, Gamefreak needs to accept its ok if some kid born today doesn't know what Kanto is 10 years from now, just that that kid needs to like what they're putting out at that time, while not insulting players who have been to kanto 3 times now. If that kid gets invested in their new games they'll go back to find the old games its that simple. As far as machanics go hold items is not confusing abilties are not confusing I see no reason why those were removed BUT NATURES STAY.

If there was ONE thing I didn't understand as a kid it was natures. The held items tell you what they do, the abilities tell you what they do I had no hard time what so ever understanding them at 6 years old, I even knew going into the elite four to buy a **** ton of potions and won using stall startgies (probably I don't remember, just remember I did it on my first try) but natures are just there like "hey I'm here whats up don't worry about me I just effect how good your pokemons stats turn out but we won't tell you that unless you find a very obscure line from an npc"
Isn't exactly what GF has done during these 22 years? :) Yes, in 10 years or more they will probably reboot the serie again. These days they have rebooted everything: games and even movies. Gen 5 was a sort of reboot, LGPE are a reboot. You can't relay on old fans forever. One day those players will not play the games anymore and they need other players to take the seats. What's wrong with that?
Anyway, I'm not the one suggesting this theory. In the exact moment when Ishiara addressed LG games to casual players and next year games to old fans, GF made it clear (even if not verbally clear) that they are separating their audience. And it's an extremely good thing imo.
For years now we have been complaining about how the games were handled. Z moves with those childish names, the complexity of the games getting lost through the years etc. What I see and hope right now is that game freak will realize games for everyone and more mature games for fans which now are over 20. That's something I'm totally ok with. They will have tons of money, we will have better games.

I will ask again, what about people who are not on either extreme?

They'd just enjoy the game and how invested they are would determine if they like the casual or hardcore approach.

As far as gen 5 being a reboot it was done poorly as well but atleast it tried to be something new (save for their obvious dex fillers like stunfisk and not geodude (rockenrolla) ) Of curse gamefreak should aim games at new kids but they need to keep in mind they have older fans too.

They will choose one or the other side. You cannot simply please everyone. What you want from Pokemon games is catching pokemon and beat the League? Go Let's Go.
You want competitive and complexity, go main main serie and get used to it.

I know people are tired of Kanto, but I'm one of few that would be interested in a more modern version kanto. Bigger and vast, some new characters and gym leaders, pokemon from other regions that have migrated to the region. An evolution of Kanto if you will

If they are determined on Kanto, I really wouldn't mind a very new take on it. Like thousands of years in the past or future, with Let's Go getting people familiarized with the landscape one last time before completely deconstructing it. I would much prefer a new region, but I think if they're going to do something like that, now is the time.

If they are determined on Kanto, I really wouldn't mind a very new take on it. Like thousands of years in the past or future, with Let's Go getting people familiarized with the landscape one last time before completely deconstructing it. I would much prefer a new region, but I think if they're going to do something like that, now is the time.
Kanto needs to STOP. Fot at least 10 years.
Please, they are seriously forcing me to hate gen 1. XD

And we have to divide because you perceive there to be two extremes that will not compromise even though you know there are people that will? Are there more extremists or more centrists is the question. I want to think there are more centrists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom