• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh, I hope that was intentional, I'm sure there's some other fun references that could be made with more Pokemon!

Ohmori said that he started on SuMo "right after ORAS development was finished". Geno's leak is posted on January 2014, a good ten months before ORAS's release. Could they have really gotten ORAS done that soon?

Given all the rumors about the NX being a hybrid console, is this really that impressive of a guess? It'd make sense to expect a difference in playstyle between the two modes.

I think that's hugely up for debate. The only similarity between regional forms and shinies is that they look different. If that's the comparison Geno is making, then all that he's said is that there's a new form of Pokemon that changes appearance and affect gameplay-but alternate forms have been added in every game since Gen 3.

No, it definitely says that.

There's also this statement that implies they'd follow XY.

Geno said that there was a lot of concept art traveling, but he never said that was all that there was. His comment about "possibly final" isn't in reference to the versions being only a concept, he's saying that codenames that have been decided could potentially be the official name. (which ought to be a strike against legitimacy-the codenames we've seen so far are never considered the official names, they don't even have Pokemon in the title) It'd be pretty weird to have a codename set up when you're just sharing concept art, wouldn't it?

Geno also implies that designing models had begun already:

(Unless I'm mistaken and models are also considered concept art?)

Isn't that all the more reason to doubt Geno's claims? 5 years since the rumor was started, with four pairs of games being released in the time since?

And Geno himself has a pretty low credibility. He claimed there would be a 3DS game called "Kirby's Popup Panic", a Pokemon Battrio game for the WiiU, Sleeping Dogs for Wii U, Resident Evil Operation Terrestrial Fear for Wii U ( x ), Call of Duty: Bloodlines in 2016 ( x ), Kingdom Hearts on the Wii U ( x ), and said that "[The NX] can literally Bluetooth synch with everything, especially smart phone and tablets to the point where one feature is that it can answer phone calls and display text messages from your phone onto the screens itself so you don’t have to stop and answer your smart device.", and "The operating system, named NintendOS alone is very powerful and has so many modern features of mobile operating systems today that Nintendo is trying to be very careful in showing it off for fear that it would be mistaken as running Android."( x ).

And the guy who shared Geno's claims isn't very good at telling fake leaks. Look at what he thought the Switch would look like.

I had never looked into Geno, so yeah, that's all suspect. Game Freak just posted a Plusle and Minun picture on Twitter, though, which happen to match up with the switch controller color scheme. So I'm not giving up on it yet! I will drown in the murk.

Kanto needs to STOP. Fot at least 10 years.
Please, they are seriously forcing me to hate gen 1. XD

I mean, I completely agree. I'm just worried that a game takes at least 3 years to develop and at the typical start of development, Let's Go was reviving the brand with seemingly Gen 1 nostalgia. It's survived up to four generations now, but with the new movie being Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution and Ishihara stressing this will be an "evolved" Pokemon game... I'm slightly worried. A time period far removed from what we know so that Kanto may as well be a new region is the best of the worst case scenario for me. If it goes all out multiverse from every generation like Rainbow Rocket then I would be even more on board. I just don't know how likely that is.

I tend to think that patterns and trends in Pokemon will never dictate any future installments. While something can seem like a solid rule, Game Freak has every right to break that rule when they see fit. Could we see new evolutions of old Pokemon? Of course, absolutely. Will we for sure? Who can say. No pattern or algorithm is going to tell us the future.

Yeah, they love breaking tradition, but I'd be surprised if the movie being titled Evolution has no new evolutions of its star or any of the Pokemon that appeared in the first movie. That leaves a lot of options, though. I really disliked the mega designs mewtwo received, though, and especially disliked most of the Gen 4 new evos. So if it was some sort of fake-out or twist, I would be more than okay with that. I hope it's just Mew evolving into a real "Mewtwo", that was wholly different from the experiment our Mewtwo was. It could have some existential freakout about what it even is if it's not Mewtwo anymore, and mirror the philosophical questions of the original. I could accept that.

For years now we have been complaining about how the games were handled. Z moves with those childish names, the complexity of the games getting lost through the years etc. What I see and hope right now is that game freak will realize games for everyone and more mature games for fans which now are over 20. That's something I'm totally ok with. They will have tons of money, we will have better games.

I think some people might bother with the names of the new Let's Go moves, but I've never seen anyone seriously complaining about the names of the Z-moves. And Game Freak doesn't have to do away with the complexity of the game to please to "everyone".

They will choose one or the other side. You cannot simply please everyone. What you want from Pokemon games is catching pokemon and beat the League? Go Let's Go.
You want competitive and complexity, go main main serie and get used to it.

I totally disagree with that. Of course, "everyone" is very subjective, a game will never really be able to please to "everyone". A game that tries to please to everyone will end up displeasing many.

But speaking of the Pokémon fanbase specifically, there are ways of Game Freak please to"everyone". That's what they should be doing. And that's what I expect them to do from now on.

About complexity regarding overall difficulty:

4V1baOw.png

About complexity regarding exploration:

(I know this is not the best example, because you were forced to go through the forest to progress, but let's use Pinwheel Forest as an example)

1200px-Pinwheel_Forest_Spring_B2W2.png

With places like that, some players would go straight to the next point of the story, while others would explore the whole place. They could even add a following NPC at the easy and normal levels of the game, where the NPC would heals you and takes you anytime back to the main path.

About the tutorials:

Just make them skippable.
NPC: Do you know how to catch Pokémon?
Player: (Yes), (No);

And so on. There are many ways to do that, I just mentioned the simplest and easiest to do. They don't have to create another game just for that, and I think the intention with Let's Go wasn't just that, otherwise it would not include GO mechanics, which traditional players may not know about. Their main intention was to capitalize on the GO's success.

Last edited:
Pokemon Garnet & Rose Quartz!

Considering how old it is, it's funny. It's curious how an old rumour like that had somewhat accurate information on a console that wasn't released until 3 years later, and the years up until the Switch's actual reveal were utterly riddled with fake leaks.

Maybe it's coincidence, but there is something else curious about the leak. The plus/minus leak talks about a legendary lion Pokemon as a mascot that is part psychic. As we all know, Sun had Solgaleo, a legendary psychic lion. While the typings (and design) don't match exactly beyond the psychic typing, I find it a curious coincidence worth mentioning in regards to the plus/minus leak.

The last part is what I find so compelling about the rumors. There are a lot of things that almost fit, but Game Freak have changed designs in the past to better suit the rest of the regions Pokedex. I don't think they are confirmed in any way, it's just something fun to look back at while we wait. Especially when this seems pretty similar to the random Pikachu and Eevee posts before the Let's Go announcements. And then you have the rumors mentioning the return of many Sinnoh and Hoenn Pokemon, which make up most of the Christmas tree outside of Mew. And considering Mew was a big part of the first movie, I wouldn't be surprised if Mew is actually the focus of the new movie.

But yeah, it's mostly just fun speculation at this point, and I don't see the harm in it for the speculation thread. I haven't called it a leak for that reason and don't think it should be treated as such, but speculation is in the name of the thread so I don't think it's inappropriate to think about it. Especially as Kanto is not mentioned and I am holding on to anything.

People really think you have to choose sides in the hardcore/casual divide?

I think it's more that people on one side have felt abandoned so they feel forced into choosing a side. Relativity in accessibility and whatnot. If Ishihara delivers it'll die down. And I think Nintendo has been killing it with Switch and listening to what their core fans want in games. Smash Bros just broke records doing this without pandering. Not pandering being key. Maybe Nintendo really messes up, but Pokemon will likely be the holiday release next year. They likely will have a lot more sway in making sure things are up to standards.

People really think you have to choose sides in the hardcore/casual divide?
Again, it's not like what I feel, but what game I've been addressed to and what not.

Ishihara: "The new title coming out in the second half of 2019 will be a completely different game from Pokémon Let’s Go. It is not an entry game, but a game that we want longtime fans of the Pokémon series to look forward to."

I'm a core fan and they are telling me that the 2019 title is the game made for me and they needed to underline that it will be "a completely different game from Pokemon Let's Go". They are not telling it directly but what I understand here is that Let's Go games have another target which is not core fans in particular.

I think the problem that has happened here is that there would be no problem with this if it was a spinoff. What is the real difference with it being a mainline game, though? It's still a concurrently running game series. There's been connectivity between spinoffs and the main series before. It's never been a thing that they could potentially battle each other, though, but that's just a bad idea in general. The issue is with it being called a mainline series, when that doesn't really change anything at all. It's just people asserting that all the games have to be about them.

If you are talking about that rumor that came out around xy~oras, it has already been proven to be fake. It said that Pokkén's teaser would be a main game, and then we saw that it was just a spin-off.

Never resting.

--

On topic now, to be honest Ishihara was just telling that next games are going to be similar to proper Pokémon titles like DP or SM. Not sure about this "hardcore" thingy.

I think that the picture alludes more to the obvious than anything else: that the next big game is going to be on the Switch. Which is literally all we know about the game(s). We don't even know for sure that there will be 2 games, though it seems unlikely that they would abandon their fraternal twins concept for game releases.

We need someone with The Sight, man.

The globe is in their main office IIRC. Or something like that. But they do position the globe differently each time something big is about to drop.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/1071945306898542593

He is talking about a buisness trip while quoting this tweet

Also this

View: https://twitter.com/HeavyMetalFairi/status/1072191604457439234?s=19
note:The left picture is from gamefreaks anniversary, but I do distinctly remember masuda posing the picture of the earth around new years 2016

Masuda is talking about business trips all the time. He quoted the Game Freak's tweet, and just mentions that Game Freak put a Christmas tree there again, and says "let's do our best this week" or something. And again, he is always saying these things, all the time.

About the other pic, it wasn't "posted before Sun and Moon announcement". It was't even posted in 2016. It was posted on Game Freak's facebook at its anniversary, April this year (2018). The "29" refers to the twenty-ninth anniversary of the company.

Also, what are the "Hawaiian flowers" in the picture? He's not referring to the sunflowers, is he?

This is reminding me of when Junichi Masuda posted a photo of the same globe in January 2016, and many people saw some sort of "Z" on it. :p

Last edited:
Poor Masuda. Everything he posts gets over-analyzed.

To be fair, during the USUM promotion period the Chinese leakers said that one of the ways they were able to predict and get information on future Pokemon games was because when you look at Junichi Masuda or other Game Freak executives twitters they actually do hint at a lot of stuff for the upcoming games on their twitter posts. If you go to Junichi Masuda's posts for the XY,ORAS,SM,USUM and LGPE periods you can actually see the hints to those games before they were announced.

It seems to me, that we are getting hints to generation 8 again.

About the other pic, it wasn't "posted before Sun and Moon announcement". It was't even posted in 2016. It was posted on Game Freak's facebook at its anniversary, April this year (2018). The "29" refers to the twenty-ninth anniversary of the company.

Also, what are the "Hawaiian flowers" in the picture? He's not referring to the sunflowers, is he?

This is reminding me of when Junichi Masuda posted a photo of the same globe in January 2016, and many people saw some sort of "Z" on it. :p
Thats basically what I said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom