• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The no weakness thing is why Sableye was so annoying to deal with pre-Gen 6.

I know weaknesses are the best way to take a Pokemon down, but they're not the only way? If they were, the Dragon type wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it was. Unresisted STAB is still valuable.

I know weaknesses are the best way to take a Pokemon down, but they're not the only way? If they were, the Dragon type wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it was. Unresisted STAB is still valuable.
Pretty much this.
draco meteor/outrage is only super effective on dragons but still one of the strongest moves on the game because the base power and dragon types usually have good stats

One thing I hope they do with the starters is make sure they are all three represented equally and with a lot of care. It seemed to me that for Generation 6 and 7 Greninja, Decidueye and Incineroar clearly got the best designs and were put more focus. You can maybe say the same thing about Generation 5 too.
Dunno about VII. I think all 3 of them were pretty even. Primarina had a great design. All problems were with the starter base forms,

Xy was revealed in Jan, SM was revealed in Feb, when will Gen 8 be revealed ? Im thinking late Feb personally gives time after the usual Jan Nintendo direct.

Dunno about VII. I think all 3 of them were pretty even. Primarina had a great design. All problems were with the starter base forms,
TBH, I liked the base forms and the finals forms, it was the middle forms that I really didn't care for, save for Torracat.

Thinking back, I tend to not like the middle forms of all starter Pokemon the most, save for Braixen. I get that it's all supposed to be a natural progression, but we know that the final forms are what are designed first for starter Pokemon, and then the base forms are designed based on what those Pokemon would look like in that stage. The middle designs end up looking very frumpy to me and generally unappealing.

To add on to the current conversation, I think it would be interesting to see how a Pokemon with no weakness could be handled. Are there any type combos that could result in no weakness, aside from Electric with Levitate ability?

Additionally, we know that this game is going to be one more meant for hardcore players, so in more of a traditional sense I guess than Let's Go is, but with the lack of abilities in LG, do we think that this feature could possibly carry over to the new games? Honestly, playing through LG and playing Pokemon Go, I don't really miss them, though I do somewhat enjoy them in the previous titles, so i'm sort of on the fence with them staying or leaving.

Abilities not being present any longer in future games would remove Eelektross' weakness immunity.

Edit: I still firmly believe in an early January reveal.

Additionally, we know that this game is going to be one more meant for hardcore players, so in more of a traditional sense I guess than Let's Go is, but with the lack of abilities in LG, do we think that this feature could possibly carry over to the new games? Honestly, playing through LG and playing Pokemon Go, I don't really miss them, though I do somewhat enjoy them in the previous titles, so i'm sort of on the fence with them staying or leaving.

Abilities are in LGPE, they are just disabled, so I don't think they are going anywhere.

Xy was revealed in Jan, SM was revealed in Feb, when will Gen 8 be revealed ? Im thinking late Feb personally gives time after the usual Jan Nintendo direct.
Pokemon day sounds the best time for it tbh, since it's also the first new gen for the switch

One thing I hope they do with the starters is make sure they are all three represented equally and with a lot of care. It seemed to me that for Generation 6 and 7 Greninja, Decidueye and Incineroar clearly got the best designs and were put more focus. You can maybe say the same thing about Generation 5 too.

I don't agree with Incineroar getting the best design alongside Decidueye.

Primarina and Decidueyes designs make more sense than Incineroar, since with them, its clear they have moved on from their beginner stage, while with Incineroar, its just a bigger Bipedal Litten, which for me personally, means his design is lazy drawing.

Thats the same problem i have with all three designs from Gen 5 and gen 6, they are just bigger first forms, rather than have some design progression that fits their evolved status.

I don't agree with Incineroar getting the best design alongside Decidueye.

Primarina and Decidueyes designs make more sense than Incineroar, since with them, its clear they have moved on from their beginner stage, while with Incineroar, its just a bigger Bipedal Litten, which for me personally, means his design is lazy drawing.

Thats the same problem i have with all three designs from Gen 5 and gen 6, they are just bigger first forms, rather than have some design progression that fits their evolved status.
Eh not really. I understand what you mean but small changes still work. Serperior may not be a big departure from Servine but it looks complete. (It's my favoursite so I'm biased :3) And Emboar and Samurott have enugh differences in them to stand out. Especially the latter. Gen VI also made huge changes. Chestnaught and Greninja and even Delphox look quite different. It's not just a "bigger" version thing. And if you believe it to be so, then shouldn't Gen IV starters be the same too?

Gen II starters, while I love them, had the least amount of changes in my opinion. V and VI did much more.

I usually like the middle stages a lot. Sometimes they're my favorite. Gen VII was the first time I didn't like any of the middle evolutions.

As for abilities, I doubt they are going anywhere, but I would really miss them if they were gone forever. They add a lot of depth to the battle system and many pokemon would be a lot less useful without them. Sure, there are a lot of abilities that are practically useless, but I'd rather they try to improve them than trash the whole thing. Also, they could just remove Levitate from Eelektross like they did with Gengar if they wanted to.

I usually like the middle stages a lot. Sometimes they're my favorite. Gen VII was the first time I didn't like any of the middle evolutions.

As for abilities, I doubt they are going anywhere, but I would really miss them if they were gone forever. They add a lot of depth to the battle system and many pokemon would be a lot less useful without them. Sure, there are a lot of abilities that are practically useless, but I'd rather they try to improve them than trash the whole thing. Also, they could just remove Levitate from Eelektross like they did with Gengar if they wanted to.
True, although I still wonder why they changed some abilities but not others. For example, they turned Sturdy, a mostly useless ability, into the most annoying one, but did not fix Illuminate. Also, I don't get why Gengar lost Levitate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom