• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snivy is also partly based on a skink, though- a snake-like lizard with tiny legs. I can't think of anything remotely similar to a dolphin that has legs of any sort, and just adding legs to a dolphin would look stupid as heck.

I know Popplio kind of got away with not having legs due to being based on a sea lion, which are decently mobile out of the water, but dolphins can't get around on land whatsoever.
Having a Dolphin for a starter flies fake flags with this one. Unless it's not a Dolphin but instead something that look similar in shape, like a Wolf.

So something akin to an Akhlut?
lol. No. I mean something that fits a similar description of a Dolphin to what this guy mentioned. fat, has a snout but runs on all four. All I coult think of is Ambilocetus, the walking whale fossil.

Last edited:
Dolphin is less viable because all water starters so far have been only partially aquatic. I've seen it said a couple of years ago, but they could go a dolphin route similar to snivy - starting as an assumed ancestor of dolphins or related species (like mesonyx or even andrewsarchus) and growing into a dolphin.

Edit: Just noticed someone else said something similar.
Mesonyx-nuhetingensis-white-738x591.jpg

Dolphin is less viable because all water starters so far have been only partially aquatic. I've seen it said a couple of years ago, but they could go a dolphin route similar to snivy - starting as an assumed ancestor of dolphins or related species (like mesonyx or even andrewsarchus) and growing into a dolphin.

Edit: Just noticed someone else said something similar.
Mesonyx-nuhetingensis-white-738x591.jpg

Might use a Giant Otter, even though the Sea Otter was already used with Oshawott for Gen 5. And if used would probably be a reverse to the Grass Type's pattern of Prehistoric animals.

Grass Types - Prehistoric Animals
Fire Type - Chinese Zodiac Animals
Water Type - Amphibious Animals

Even so, if the leak is proven true, we just have to wait and see. After all, it is Japan, they do strange stuff. Why on Pokemon Go I've even found Water Type Pokemon that are supposed to be fish or aquatic on land.

Or perhaps... a Capybara! Just kidding.

Last edited:
So, from what I could ponder, the Starters could be...

Grass: Ferret (Thylacoleo), Cat (Smilodon), Kangeroo (Ancient Kangeroo), Sloth (Megatherium), Elephant (Mammoth), etc.
Fire: Rabbit/ Snake/ Ox/ Sheep or Goat/ or Horse
Water: Capybara

Capybara does seem like the logical choice for water...I was trying so hard to think of another semi-aquatic animal that hasn't been used yet.

Smilodon would be great, as it's one of my favorite extinct animals. Though I have my doubts that they'd have another cat starter so soon after litten.

Capybara does seem like the logical choice for water...I was trying so hard to think of another semi-aquatic animal that hasn't been used yet.

Smilodon would be great, as it's one of my favorite extinct animals. Though I have my doubts that they'd have another cat starter so soon after litten.

Torchic (Gen 3), Piplup (Gen 4), both are birds

Last edited:
For Fire Types Starters, the reasons of those complaining about it is because...

1: They were sick and tired to the use of Fire/Fighting Type being used for three Generations in a row.

2: They just wanted a Fire Type quadruped.

3: They just complain for the sake of complaining.

I honestly dont care how many legs a starter stands on, as long as they have good stats and a usable HA it will be good. Incineroar got massive pluses in both categories so hes chill imo. The fact he went from something hated to the most used pokemon in VGC is hilarious, knocking lando t off his high horse was amazing lol We havent had a fire starter with decent usage since Charizard with Mega evolution.

I honestly dont care how many legs a starter stands on, as long as they have good stats and a HA it will be good. Incineroar got massive pluses in both categories so hes chill imo. The fact he went from something hated to the most used pokemon in VGC is hilarious, knocking lando t off his high horse was amazing lol We havent had a fire starter with decent usage since Charizard with Mega evolution.

Uh, Blaziken? Infernape? Besides, Mega Charizard and Incineroar differ one generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom