• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The character design and style of clothing, baggy trousers, the arm-less shirt, similar to Maylene in Gen 4.

There is a recent theory I've heard from a recent Ruffoldrowlit video that states that the next region could be Hong Kong with the hints coming from both UK and Chinese rumors. Hong Kong was once a British Colony before giving it back to China after a 99 year lease in 1997.

What better to have a Chinese Region than to have it in Hong Kong.

That, or it could be how they draw characters before adding more details to it.

Last edited:
Comparing a title to BotW seems like fan-driven hyperbole.

Pokemon Wind/Sky/Earth are cool titles, though. And they seem more feasible than Crown/Sceptre.

Maybe Pokemon Skyward Sword considering all this BOTW talk ;) Pokemon Earthsea?

A major point of the gen 8 game(s) possibly to explore the rest of the U.K. on down the British Channels... and eventually branch out to establish the empire! Hail Britannia!! But really, a more expansive Pokemon game is interesting since it is a chance to mix things up from the linear badge quest.

I imagine side-quest may become a more prominent thing for the series. I mean one could argue that we have these already, but not to the point where is really feels like it would in a standard Zelda game. If it builds upon the lore of the region & the series then I say go for it. Traveling might also feel more real in these games, more logical for the setting. Rather than having to learn "cut" (do we still even do that?) we'd simply have a lot more realistic options like having a fire type burn the shrubbery in your path or another could simply fly over it. Think the ranger games in this sense. This is where I imagine BOTW to show more inspiration, how the mons actually "interact" with a more open-world environment.

As far as the badge quest goes, it could easily be like either Odyssey or BOTW when you really think about it. Odyssey is obvious, while more open still linear to an extent so not that difficult in theory for GF to replicate. BOTW on the other hand:
I'd imagine the badge quest to be handled in a similar vein to the 4 Divine Beast. In Poke terms, you choose which gym you want to take on, and the levels of each adjust accordingly in this instance to your own progress. I'm not quite sure how feasible that is of course, and it could get wonky depending on how surrounding trainers outside of gyms should be handled. Maybe you get "locked" into whatever area you choose to explore, and the levels adjust accordingly while you finish. Almost like a midway between Odyssey & BOTW in regards to "openess."

Hell, maybe the gym quest is even optional, and the main storyline itself is also much more expansive for a Pokemon game. The gyms could be a main quest, but not one with "priority" as opposed to stopping the villain team, itself a main quest. Taking on gyms makes you stronger, but doesn't necessarily progress the overarching story.

The character design and style of clothing, baggy trousers, the arm-less shirt, similar to Maylene in Gen 4.
The character resembles Elio and Selene more than anything:
upload_2019-1-4_17-54-9.png

upload_2019-1-4_17-54-54.png

Large eyes, youthful appearance, legs-bent-in-air pose, tank tops and the pants are really similar to Elio’s.

They’ll probably draw them since they’re from the last 3DS games and latest generation.

What better to have a Chinese Region than to have it in Hong Kong.
What better way to have a Chinese region than to have it in a disputed Chinese territory?

The character resembles Elio and Selene more than anything:
View attachment 114762

View attachment 114763
Large eyes, youthful appearance, legs-bent-in-air pose, tank tops and the pants are really similar to Elio’s.

They’ll probably draw them since they’re from the last 3DS games and latest generation.

What better way to have a Chinese region than to have it in a disputed Chinese territory?
Hong Kong and Macau are not disputed, they are part of a Special Administrative Region to China. It's the equivalent to Monte Carlo to France and the Isle of Man to the UK

Hong Kong and Macau are not disputed, they are part of a Special Administrative Region to China. It's the equivalent to Monte Carlo to France and the Isle of Man to the UK

Last time I checked Hong Kong being a Chinese territory, and it’s influence on Hong Kong was a very sensitive topic.

Maybe the battles could be a bit more realistic like the Pokémon actually dodges and then stays where he dodged to and attacks from there,and when it's attacked it goes back a bit(or not depending on the attack),you know while doing its "hit" animation.

Maybe the battles could be a bit more realistic like the Pokémon actually dodges and then stays where he dodged to and attacks from there,and when it's attacked it goes back a bit(or not depending on the attack),you know while doing its "hit" animation.

I'm also thinking maybe you can freely move in battles like dodges,jump,dash then when it comes to attack like long range attack we get a slowmo phase where you given a chance to target your foe in slow mo and your foe is freely to move jump dash or uses A counter move like smokescreen then the slowmo ratio will be raise base on the accuracy of the mov but still it will be turned based so it would not be like pokken,I know its impossible to receive that kind of gameplay or maybe in gen 9

Sorry for the grammar,An asian passing by

Edit: new to this thread btw

About king zell's statement, I think that it isn't good.

The community seems to be reacting as if it were a brand new information, as if we had received a new information that says the game would be Botw's equivalent of the Pokémon series (as if it has been emphasized), but from what I understand, he was only answering to the questions about, and remembering what him had said previously.

I mean, it isn't a new information. If no one was taking this statement so seriously so far, I don't see why would do that now.

In an interview for Game Informer in 2017, Masuda implied that he wasn't thinking of making a open world game by that time¹. And at that time, the game was probably in the middle stage of development. In a recent interview, he reacted differently to the idea of an open-world game though², which makes me think that we could have an open-world game in the ninth generation, but not for now.

I could not help but remember of this image:

XD05di1.png

Also, some points that need to be pointed out:
  • Game Freak doesn't have the experience that other developers like Monolith or even that Nintendo's divisions have with home consoles yet. We can see that by Ishihara saying they had difficulty producing games for Switch; ¹
  • Game Freak currently has only 143 effective employees. That's not even half the team that produced BotW (that was around 300 devs); ¹ ²
  • In addition to the small number of employees they have in the company, Game Freak had other projects being produced from the time of the beginning of the development of the next game (probably around 2016-early 2017) until now, they were: USUM, Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go Eevee and "Town";
  • BotW took 4 years to be produced. Pokémon generation-starter games are usually produced in 3 years only. ¹ ² ³
So, I think they might surprise us, and I'm expecting big things from this game, but I'm not expecting a BotW.

I've always thought that if we are going to have a larger world, then 8 gen will be semi-open, and then maybe at gen 9 or even 10 we are going to get a full open world.

Anyways, the thing is that those new games probably will have a larger world than the ones we had before but it's not a 100% guarantee.

I'm also thinking maybe you can freely move in battles like dodges,jump,dash then when it comes to attack like long range attack we get a slowmo phase where you given a chance to target your foe in slow mo and your foe is freely to move jump dash or uses A counter move like smokescreen then the slowmo ratio will be raise base on the accuracy of the mov but still it will be turned based so it would not be like pokken,I know its impossible to receive that kind of gameplay or maybe in gen 9

Sorry for the grammar,An asian passing by

Edit: new to this thread btw
I didn't mean to change the gameplay.Just for example
Lucario1 Vs Lucario2
Lucario1 chooses Aura Sphere
Lucario2 chooses Close Combat
Lucario1(standing in point 1A) uses Aura Sphere towards Lucario2(standing in point 1B)
Lucario2 evades by dashing to 2B,instead of just some text appearing saying he evaded
Lucario2 dashes to point 1A and uses Close Combat
Lucario1 gets launched to point 3C or whatever
Choose moves for next turn

Lucario1 Vs Lucario2
Lucario1(standing in point 1A) uses Aura Sphere towards Lucario2(standing in point 1B)
Lucario2 evades by dashing to 2B,instead of just some text appearing saying he evaded
Sorry for the misinterpretation

But I really hope they change the gameplay so the players will be more hook and also we can use are skills in choosing moves while dodging

Lucario1 Vs Lucario2

Problem here becomes Pokémon like Wailord on land.

Wailord will have no chance to dodge on land, and if it uses only long-distance attacks against a fast Pokémon, that Pokémon will have already long dodged Wailord's move before it's even fired because of Wailord's mobility on land.

With the current game mechanics, it's just, don't worry about it. With open world, things actually have to make sense as far as body types and such goes.

I think as we learned with LGPE, the smallest of changes can be met with a huge vocal uproar from fans. I really don’t think GF will touch anything major Gen 8.

Hmm... I think that was much more to do with those games having more of Pokemon Go's mechanics than anything else. The motion catching, evolution methods, & experience gain isn't something every longtime fan wants to see being adopted in a "main series" title. It has its place on android and smartphones, but personally I want something more "in depth" myself when it comes to change.

Wailord will have no chance to dodge on land, and if it uses only long-distance attacks against a fast Pokémon, that Pokémon will have already long dodged Wailord's move before it's even fired because of Wailord's mobility on land.

With the current game mechanics, it's just, don't worry about it. With open world, things actually have to make sense as far as body types and such goes.

Ohohohoho I have the perfect solution for this. Ready? Check this out: Blue Ditto: PokeScience: Wailord is lighter than air?

Just imagine... Wailord already looks pretty much like a Blimp, so an open world Pokemon game where Wailord's habitat is in the clouds now becomes feasible with the power of science! Does it kinda contradict past games? Maybe? But who cares! This is so much better and really more accurate considering it actually is less dense than air.

Last edited:
Hmm... I think that was much more to do with those games having more of Pokemon Go's mechanics than anything else. The motion catching, evolution methods, & experience gain isn't something every longtime fan wants to see being adopted in a "main series" title. It has its place on android and smartphones, but personally I want something more "in depth" myself when it comes to change.

Ohohohoho I have the perfect solution for this. Ready? Check this out: Blue Ditto: PokeScience: Wailord is lighter than air?

Just imagine... Wailord already looks pretty much like a Blimp, so an open world Pokemon game where Wailord's habitat is in the clouds now becomes feasible with the power of science! Does it kinda contradict past games? Maybe? But who cares! This is so much better and really more accurate considering it actually is less dense than air.

Then their is still the Problem with other Sea only based Water types like Whisiwashi. Another problem is that you need to completely overhaul the speedstats, else a slow mon cannot even touch a fast mon because the moves are getting dodged always and its the other way around for the slow mons as well: They cannot dodge attacks from fast mons, since they don't see them coming.

I don't mean to change the dodge chances either,it's purely aesthetical.
Maybe,humans invented some kind of floating water spheres where aquatic Pokémon can be in.

Wait,first I said it's purely aesthetical,but maybe there could be some,only some,battles where the environment is interactable.So for example a Pokémon gets hit and launched to a tree,the tree gets destroyed and the Pokémon gets a tiny bit more damage.

Then their is still the Problem with other Sea only based Water types like Whisiwashi. Another problem is that you need to completely overhaul the speedstats, else a slow mon cannot even touch a fast mon because the moves are getting dodged always and its the other way around for the slow mons as well: They cannot dodge attacks from fast mons, since they don't see them coming.

How about the slow mo phase I mentioned?

Okay; until new evidence comes along, I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that Wind and Stars aren't completely unrelated. Both are used for sailors to travel.

reminds me of this really cool theory on Youtube regarding the draconid tribe in the pokemon world. His other videos have more tid bits about this group of people but this video has them in the actual title.
View: https://youtu.be/IxUJJ6ujmAM
The Ruin Manic Files
Basically, they are the tribe that traveled to many other regions and built things and not much is known about them in the actual pokemon world. (example this manic dude theorizes that the Draconid people actually built the Ruins of Alph.) He talks about other things they may or did have their hands in, in other regions including the mega evolutions stuff.
His videos are really interesting to me and worth the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom