• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean James Turner did get promoted to Art Director. If generation 8 does take place in England then perhaps James Turner will oversee most of the Pokemon designs and make sure they fit the England lore and British culture?
Really? Where did you get that info? James Turner isn’t really a new member though; just because the region is based on UK doesn’t mean all the Pokémon will be inspired by UK. Look at Oranguru. Why is an Orangutan in Hawaii?

I suppose that could be a legit concern considering that all Pokémon games to take place in universe, though just because someone doesn’t know much about Pokémon doesn’t mean they can’t be trusted to not make a game good simply because they haven’t had much experience . Take Yusuke Kozaki for example, the Illustrator for Pokémon GO, Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates. He knew little information on Fire Emblem but was still hired to design characters for Awakening.

I think it's not just about not knowing enough about Pokémon, but also about not knowing enough about to how to develop it. There should be many internal things, like rules they follow, that we don't know about. As for example, the fact that they don't want to use much "threatening" themes for wild battles, because we are supposed to catch the Pokémon later (this was mentioned in some interview). Game Freak gives a lot of attention to details, so they seem to have lots of internal rules when they're developing Pokémon, so I guess a newbie in the company needs time to take time to learn everything about.

Oh, and I just remembered of one more thing that could be a problem regarding what you have said. The "work culture" in Japan is slightly different from the West. There, it is much more common to spend the life working on the same company. And so, companies also usually seek young, newly formed labor. I don't know of how much this affects Game Freak, but it must certainly be different from how western-companies like Disney operates.

So maybe this is a difference to take into consideration. Companies like Disney look for skilled labor, and so the newcomers in the company can get high positions because they already have a lot of experience. Unlike Game Freak, which as have I said, probably look mostly for newly formed labor. And even if they not invest as much in games as should do, Pokémon is still a multi billion dollar franchise, so leaving newly formed labor in charge of more important things isn't a good idea. They need to gain experience, not only on how to develop Pokémon games but also general experience of their profession's activies. And this can overload the veterans with work sometimes.

Anyway, I think the best way to look at the region’s basis is to choose based on its relationship to Japan- New York- Japanese Immigrants, France- Manga\Anime, Hawaii-Japanese Tourism. Even if GF says the region was chosen for it fitting the ‘ theme ‘ the relationship to Japan is probably more important. So when we speculate countries, speculate based on its relationship to Japan, not whether it’s interesting.

Oh, yeah, I just mentioned that post because I also quoted the fact that they use a stereotyped version of the places in the games. I wasn't talking about possible future regions. :p But what you said makes sense.

Really? Where did you get that info? James Turner isn’t really a new member though; just because the region is based on UK doesn’t mean all the Pokémon will be inspired by UK. Look at Oranguru. Why is an Orangutan in Hawaii?

Yes! It was mentioned here:

Edit
I meant (...threatening themes* for wild...).

Last edited:
D

Don't the Switch and 3DS use Nintendo Network? I know Switch has its own Wi-Fi service, but it still uses Nintendo Network.
No. Nintendo Network is used only by 3DS and Wii U.

Switch uses a totally different network infrastructure called Nintendo Switch Online and a different account system.

If they wanted to portray Unova as a " melting pot " I feel like California, specifically the San Francisco Bay Area would have been much better choice. I live in the Bay Area, and there are tons of diversity everywhere, primarily Asians/Whites/Black. Not to mention that California is Global Leader in technology as well as fast food, hippie culture, film industry in America, as well as computers and Internet, all things Unova features.

I don't dispute that, but from a historical standpoint, New York (specifically the city) is what people think of when talking about America's melting pot. A better "Americana" interpretation could have been had, sure, but one is there already if you just look deep enough.

Aside from what's already been mention by me & @Myth
Throh/Sawk = America's Rock em Sock em Robots with a Muppet influence.
Gothita = Betty Boop
Lilligant = Southern Belle
Deino line = Beatles Hairdos & Sock Puppets (semi-Ventriloquist theme of Hydreigon really fit Ghetsis)

It just isn't obvious, and really they could have been supplanted. Kalos fossils are THE American fossils, Delibird as Santa Claus, Pumpkaboo line, etc. Another thing to consider is the in-universe culture.
Snivy = Kalos
Tepig = Unova native (?) (Considering it's a British Saddleback, perhaps the Gen 8 region)
Oshawott = Tohjo/Sinjoh

It's a blend of the in universe game's cultures, rather than a strait up copy of irl New York. With the strong asian/western blend it might have ultimately made more sense for Unova to be Pokemon's Hong Kong, but for what it is, I think it conveyed what it needed to.

Didnt Masuda talk about the possibility of a Switch variant of Bank and connectivity between LGPE and Gen 8 ? I recall someone in GF talking about that at one stage. If so then we should be fine.

Didnt Masuda talk about the possibility of a Switch variant of Bank and connectivity between LGPE and Gen 8 ? I recall someone in GF talking about that at one stage. If so then we should be fine.
Yes. He said that he recalls when people were upset that they weren't able to bring their Pokemon from Gen II to Gen III, so they're looking at ways to make sure that doesn't have to happen again.

It’s fairly easy to do, there’s already many ways to go about it. I’m not worried as Gamefreak has addressed it.

Pick this apart. Found it on 4chan:

176 KB JPG
Pokémon Jade / Pokémon Ivory

I got more info

9 Cities in the Indian part of the region 5 "Gyms"
10 cities in the China part of the region 5 "Gyms"
3 villages in the mountains
6 villages trough the forests and islands of the central part. There are also uins there.
6 "trials"
The league that is formed in the end of the story is in the middle of the two parts, where mountains start becoming covered in forests to symbolize the peace it has been reached.
Mountains deserts, forests, rivers and sea are based on the real area that is covered by china, india and islands.

Starters:
Water Salamander (Becomes water dragon)
Grass Elephant
Fire snake (Becomes fire flying)

Generic Pokemon:
River Dolphin, Swimming Lizard (Crocodile Lizard), Leopard line which depending on where it evolves can become pure dark (panther) or ice dark (snow leopard), Colorful Fish (Mandarinfish) (water fairy), Yak line(Ice Rock), ), hermit fighter/monk (Fighting, becomes Fighting Steel or Figthing Ice, it has two evolutions)
Durian and Dragonfruit mons (Grass Poison and Grass Fire)

Rival Pokemon: an eagle and a Monkey.

Fossils: Giant Monkey and Raptor

Valian Forms: Trapinch is bug ground, Vibrava and Flygon are Bug Dragon, the flying problem is solved trought the levitate removal i already posted, Houndoom is dark ghost, Aipom line is Dark Grass, Exploud is normal fire, Aggron line gets the fire type as well, Octillery is Water Poison (remoraid doesn't change).
...Anonymous
01/06/19(Sun)16:01:07 No.37333813
Legendaries: River trio (water psychic, which connects and understands the pokemon and people who live around the region and are connected, water fairy which is linked to desires and hopes of pokemon and people who live around and water dark, which is connected to dreams and fears of people and pokemon)
Main trio: Ghost Dark, linked to progress and destruction, Dragon Fairy, linked to nature and wild and Steel Grass, who balances the two things.
The Ghost Dark looks like a snake, that burns of ghostly flames, while the dragon fairy resembles also a snake/chinese dragon and reminds a bit of drampa or the dragon of the infinite story.
The third one resembles a golem with three faces and 6 arms.-> ashura. It also looks related to regis.

Other legendaries/Mythical: Rock/Normal Buddha like creature (snorlax like?), which can be found on top of a really high mountain.
Earth/Grass Cow, which protects some ruins

Returning Pokemon: Pangoro, Arbok (which will have different patterns, as a preview of the future variants which i posted the other time), Medicham, Golurk, Oranguru

Should be pretty easy to debunk once we get a reveal.

Pick this apart. Found it on 4chan:

176 KB JPG
Pokémon Jade / Pokémon Ivory

I got more info

9 Cities in the Indian part of the region 5 "Gyms"
10 cities in the China part of the region 5 "Gyms"
3 villages in the mountains
6 villages trough the forests and islands of the central part. There are also uins there.
6 "trials"
The league that is formed in the end of the story is in the middle of the two parts, where mountains start becoming covered in forests to symbolize the peace it has been reached.
Mountains deserts, forests, rivers and sea are based on the real area that is covered by china, india and islands.
This is the most ridiculous, unbelievable fakest shit ever. First of all they wouldn't based the region on two country or else it wouldn't really be a single region. And Oh yeah, pick two of the biggest country in the world. I'm sure it wouldn't ended up as small pieces of land from the edge of each country that is very far away out of reach from the iconic recognizeable portions that is actually marketable. And an Island in the middle? Like WHAT? There isn't an island between China and India. Have this person ever looked at the map?

The only sort of believable part is the league in the middle in the mountain, as Nepal does situate between them and is the center of Buddhism so it makes sense for the league to be there. But at the same time you know what mountains range exist in this area? The Himalayas and Mt Everest. So why the heck would it "becoming covered in forest" when they are some of the highest and coldest place on Earth. Also what happened to the islands? Why does a mountain suddenly appear instead?

Last edited:
I really want that Elephant starter LOL

That legendary Cow makes me want that leak to be legit. It can be Miltank x 100 XD

Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh - Japanese Cultures (Ancient Greek - Sinnoh)
Unova - US Culture, Central and South American.
Kalos - French Culture, Alpine
Alola - Hawaiian Culture, South East Asian, Australian.

If the UK is proven to be the next region - British Culture, Scandinavian

That's all I could think up. I might be wrong, but if anyone can help to point things out, just sing.

Since when is the UK considered "Scandinavian"?
Does the Vikings ring the bell? Some in the British Isles have Scandinavian DNA, especially in the North of England when it was once part of Danelaw. (800-1100AD)

The last known influences of Scandinavian control was the Orkney and Shetland Islands, which were given to Scotland in the 1490s.

Last edited:
Does the Vikings ring the bell? Some have scandinavian dna, especially in the North of England when it was once part of Danelaw.
Vikings raided like half of Europe including France. By this logic Kalos is "Scandinavian" as well.

And i'm pretty sure vikings' legacy is not that big in the UK, so it's kind weird that you call it "Scandinavian". Generally, when people think of vikings, they think of the actual Scandinavian countries.

Last edited:
Vikings raided like half of Europe including France. By this logic Kalos is "Scandinavian" as well.

And i'm pretty sure vikings' legacy is not that big in the UK, so it's kind weird that you call it "Scandinavian". Generally, when people think of vikings, they think of the actual Scandinavian countries.

Also, since when was Hokkaido have Ancient Greece? or Unova have Central and South America? This is Pokemon we're talking about here, so anything goes. I was just basing it one one supposed leak from Pokemon Millennium, based on the whole C&S bandwagon. It said that the Region will be heavily based on the UK, but with a hint of Scandinavian.

Also, since when was Hokkaido have Ancient Greece? or Unova have Central and South America? This is Pokemon we're talking about here, so anything goes.
Well no one called Sinnoh ancient Greece or Unova central/south America, that's your own interpretation of those regions.

And saying "It's Pokémon, anything goes" is a pretty weird thing to say. By this logic why not have an Argentina region and call it Asian culture?

Didn’t they have the XY legends based off norse mythology and their culture? Lots of similarities to the Asaturu faith.
Yes, but that doesn't mean you should call the region Scandinavian or whatever.

Why not call Unova Chinese while we're at it, because of the Yin/Yang philosophy with Reshiram/Zekrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom