• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually excited at the idea of having the region being a single landmass again (assuming here since I doubt they'd go for islands a second time in a row)

It's a small thing to get excited about, but after Alola was split into numerous bits, making it feel kinda tiny, a singular region would automatically feel quite big in comparison.

I'm actually excited at the idea of having the region being a single landmass again (assuming here since I doubt they'd go for islands a second time in a row)

It's a small thing to get excited about, but after Alola was split into numerous bits, making it feel kinda tiny, a singular region would automatically feel quite big in comparison.
I has agreed with you, Alola region feels so crowded. I think it's kinda stupid that the player takes a boat to get to the town to town and routes were too short. I even hate they took out of the gyms like that.

A Pokemon Region's size, from what I could recall in the games, have always been the size of small landmasses, with the maximum size being that of Hokkaido, Northern France, Osaka and Tokyo.

If they would have a region based on a huge landmass such as a continent, then the company would have problems fitting it all in. That's why Unova (New York City) was the region made for the entire North America. So for China, they will most likely choose Beijing or Hong Kong, for India, one of their most famous cities, for South America, Rio Di Janerio and such...

Spain would be similar to France having it be half the Iberian, whilst the UK will just be able to fit in, just like Hokkaido. Although Hokkaido is twice the size of Scotland, but still...

You get what I mean about the rules of size for each Region depending on games thus far.

Last edited:
Some of 'all need to remember that news IS coming. The Feb issue of CoroCoro ALWAYS gets new Pokemon stuff, even if it's just related to that year's movie. Which on years of new gens, always has new stuff:

Feb 2010 = Zorua & Zoroark
Feb 2013 = Sylveon
Feb 2016 = Magearna

So not that long to go until we get something at least.

One thing that I don't want Pokemon to do is make the Mew group a trio instead of leaving it as a duo. Mewthree can stay a fan-made concept forever. Especially since a Mewfour (enough Mews already, please) can stay as a non-existent thing.

MewFive called, it doesn't like you either.

Do you think it is possible that they may slap Mewtwo with a Dark typing? I know some people seem to think he is getting a new form or something, but to me that doesn't make sense and it seems more likely if anything they would slap dark on him after so long of him being the way he is after the experiments.
I really don't want to see another new thing for mewtwo as he has so much already and I'm not sure why they would even do so unless it had something to do with gen 8. And I am not fully convinced this new movie will be exactly the same as the original just "upgraded graphics".

Pokédex entries
Red/Blue It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments.
Yellow Its DNA is almost the same as MEW's. However, its size and disposition are vastly different.
Gold Because its battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, it thinks only of defeating its foes.
Silver It usually remains motionless to conserve energy, so that it may unleash its full power in battle.
Crystal Said to rest quietly in an undiscovered cave, this POKéMON was created solely for battling.
Ruby
Sapphire
MEWTWO is a POKéMON that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this POKéMON’s body, they failed to endow MEWTWO with a compassionate heart.
FireRed A POKéMON whose genetic code was repeatedly recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result.
LeafGreen It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.
Emerald A POKéMON that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans made its body, they failed to give it a warm heart.
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum A Pokémon created by recombining MEW’s genes. It’s said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.
HeartGold Because its battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, it thinks only of defeating its foes.
SoulSilver It usually remains motionless to conserve energy, so that it may unleash its full power in battle.
Black/White/Black 2/White 2 A Pokémon created by recombining Mew’s genes. It’s said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.
X It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.
Y A Pokémon created by recombining Mew’s genes. It’s said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Mewtwo is a Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this Pokémon’s body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.

A Pokemon Region's size, from what I could recall in the games, have always been the size of small landmasses, with the maximum size being that of Hokkaido, Northern France, Osaka and Tokyo.

If they would have a region based on a huge landmass such as a continent, then the company would have problems fitting it all in. That's why Unova (New York City) was the region made for the entire North America. So for China, they will most likely choose Beijing or Hong Kong, for India, one of their most famous cities, for South America, Rio Di Janerio and such...

Spain would be similar to France having it be half the Iberian, whilst the UK will just be able to fit in, just like Hokkaido. Although Hokkaido is twice the size of Scotland, but still...

You get what I mean about the rules of size for each Region depending on games thus far.

North America is a continent. Secondly, Unova is based on the USA, not just New York. Castellia City is based on New York City. Unless there’s a desert just north of the Bronx that I’m not aware of.

What Game Freak have done is base their regions on the most identifiable characteristics of real world places. The fact that the UK is a small group of countries does not mean that, for example, a future Pokémon region inspired by the UK couldnt be the largest of all the regions. There is plenty of UK identity and culture to fill a huge in-game region. Similarly, there could be a very small Pokémon region based on vast land masses such as Australia, or South America, taking just a select few characteristics and condensing them.

I think you’re maybe exaggerating how much the regions have to mirror their real world counterparts. Really, the purpose they serve is purely an inspiration for Game Freak. Nothing more. Certainly not something to create a mirror image of.

Last edited:
One thing that I don't want Pokemon to do is make the Mew group a trio instead of leaving it as a duo. Mewthree can stay a fan-made concept forever. Especially since a Mewfour (enough Mews already, please) can stay as a non-existent thing.
if they wanted a trio, i suppose they could have done something more with the majestic Arcanine at the time....I'm sure there aren't many out there who would be against that idea FOR that particular time.

North America is a continent. Secondly, Unova is based on the USA, not just New York. Castellia City is based on New York City. Unless there’s a desert just north of the Bronx that I’m not aware of.

What Game Freak have done is base their regions on the most identifiable characteristics of real world places. The fact that the UK is a small group of countries does not mean that, for example, a future Pokémon region inspired by the UK couldnt be the largest of all the regions. There is plenty of UK identity and culture to fill a huge in-game region. Similarly, there could be a very small Pokémon region based on vast land masses such as Australia, or South America, taking just a select few characteristics and condensing them.

I think you’re maybe exaggerating how much the regions have to mirror their real world counterparts. Really, the purpose they serve is purely an inspiration for Game Freak. Nothing more. Certainly not something to create a mirror image of.
Unova is based on just New York City (and parts of New Jersey), not the entire USA.

Unova is based on just New York City (and parts of New Jersey), not the entire USA.

Oh, so the desert is in New Jersey, not the Bronx. My mistake.

Look, this is just not the case. When you take into account everything within the Unova games, including characters (looking at you, Clay), the inspiration behind the Unova games was drawn from all over the United States. It’s natural that NYC/Castellia take a lead role, as NYC is the most recognised area. Like Paris/Lumiose in Kalos.

My point remains, Riley, sorry.

Look, this is just not the case. When you take into account everything within the Unova games, including characters (looking at you, Clay), the inspiration behind the Unova games was drawn from all over the United States. It’s natural that NYC/Castellia take a lead role, as NYC is the most recognised area. Like Paris/Lumiose in Kalos.

It's confirmed to be based on just New York by Masuda himself, who stated this in Official Nintendo Magazine:

"This new region was inspired by New York's Manhattan. I visited New York when Diamond and Pearl launched and I had the chance to wander around the town. When I walked through the streets, I saw a lot of different people having festivals and community events—Italian people, French people—they're coming from different countries and coexisting in one community",

Additionally, the areas based on New Jersey were in fact several areas added in BW2, which include Aspertia City, Floccesy Town, and Virbank City. There are also 2 other regions based on parts of the United States: Orre, which is based on Arizona, and Alola, which is based on Hawaii.

It's confirmed to be based on just New York by Masuda himself, who stated this in Official Nintendo Magazine:

"This new region was inspired by New York's Manhattan. I visited New York when Diamond and Pearl launched and I had the chance to wander around the town. When I walked through the streets, I saw a lot of different people having festivals and community events—Italian people, French people—they're coming from different countries and coexisting in one community",

Additionally, the areas based on New Jersey were in fact several areas added in BW2, which include Aspertia City, Floccesy Town, and Virbank City. There are also 2 other regions based on parts of the United States: Orre, which is based on Arizona, and Alola, which is based on Hawaii.

Riley... I’m aware of this article. It does not change the point I was making. Not one bit.

‘The new region was inspired by New York City’ does not equate to ‘we exclusively, rigidly, unflinchingly drew inspiration from NYC and New Jersey and no where else in the USA.’

Please try to stop dealing in such petty pedantry.

I think it's more that Unova takes the shape of New York but draws inspiration from the whole of the US... or at least stereotypes of it. Pokestar Studios is based on Hollywood, for example.

Gotta say, though... I have met too many people who would probably tell you that either New Jersey is a desert or that it should be. XD

Do you think it is possible that they may slap Mewtwo with a Dark typing? I know some people seem to think he is getting a new form or something, but to me that doesn't make sense and it seems more likely if anything they would slap dark on him after so long of him being the way he is after the experiments.
I really don't want to see another new thing for mewtwo as he has so much already and I'm not sure why they would even do so unless it had something to do with gen 8. And I am not fully convinced this new movie will be exactly the same as the original just "upgraded graphics".

Pokédex entries
Red/Blue It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments.
Yellow Its DNA is almost the same as MEW's. However, its size and disposition are vastly different.
Gold Because its battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, it thinks only of defeating its foes.
Silver It usually remains motionless to conserve energy, so that it may unleash its full power in battle.
Crystal Said to rest quietly in an undiscovered cave, this POKéMON was created solely for battling.
Ruby
Sapphire
MEWTWO is a POKéMON that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this POKéMON’s body, they failed to endow MEWTWO with a compassionate heart.
FireRed A POKéMON whose genetic code was repeatedly recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result.
LeafGreen It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.
Emerald A POKéMON that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans made its body, they failed to give it a warm heart.
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum A Pokémon created by recombining MEW’s genes. It’s said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.
HeartGold Because its battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, it thinks only of defeating its foes.
SoulSilver It usually remains motionless to conserve energy, so that it may unleash its full power in battle.
Black/White/Black 2/White 2 A Pokémon created by recombining Mew’s genes. It’s said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.
X It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.
Y A Pokémon created by recombining Mew’s genes. It’s said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Mewtwo is a Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this Pokémon’s body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.

Well they already introduced Shadow Mewtwo and his mega evolution in Pokken. I thought he looks wicked cool.

I remembered When Mew or Mewtwo follows you in the underground lab at the Cinnabar Masion, they will go in shock when they sees the capsult.

Even Pokeraf makes a video about it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty36sVDYg1s&lc=z22tt54wcu3gylvtjacdp432egv5diw1nujncm00q2pw03c010c.1546738512982402

I think it's possible hinting we are actually getting a Mewthree or a fusion with Mew and Mewtwo,but I think we are getting a Mewthree. Because when the player were at Cinnabar maison, the player noticed something that's moving in the capsult in the underground lab.

On the topic of the size of regions compared to their real world counterparts...

8EE0269HZsOW8MNo_1xCWXtcqFCE6J3p1kf6Xl0Yc98.png

Look at Unova. Just look at it. XD You're not gonna tell me that they're all to scale now, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom