• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that it clearly says in the Pokémon Mansion that Mew "gave birth" to it.
Red/Blue: It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments
An argument can be made that clones are far more akin to twins than children, and given the Pokédex entries it can be inferred that Mew served as a surrogate for Mewtwo and that the latter was not the former’s natural offspring.

Red/Blue: It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments
An argument can be made that clones are far more akin to twins than children, and given the Pokédex entries it can be inferred that Mew served as a surrogate for Mewtwo and that the latter was not the former’s natural offspring.
Do you think Mew gave birth twins?

Except that it clearly says in the Pokémon Mansion that Mew "gave birth" to it.
I mean "gave birth" in this sense is obviously a metaphor, since we know that Pokemon lays egg in stead of gestation and birth. The scientist probably means thats by using DNA from Mew, they are able to use create new pokemon. And thus Mew "gave birth" to a new species.

I mean "gave birth" in this sense is obviously a metaphor, since we know that Pokemon lays egg in stead of gestation and birth. The scientist probably means thats by using DNA from Mew, they are able to use create new pokemon. And thus Mew "gave birth" to a new species.
That doesn't really fit this context-

Diary: Feb. 6

Mew gave birth.
We named the newborn Mewtwo.

Remember also that eggs weren't a thing until Gen 2, so Mew probably did give live actual birth in Gen 1.

That doesn't really fit this context-

Diary: Feb. 6

Mew gave birth.
We named the newborn Mewtwo.

Remember also that eggs weren't a thing until Gen 2, so
Mew probably did give live actual birth in Gen 1.
The date could just means that it was when they successfully clone a live Mewtwo.

Yes, eggs didn't exist until gen 2 that is true and that is why this text exist. But at the same time, this is Gen 1, we're talking about. They didn't know where to take the series yet. They also mention an Indian Elephant in Raichu pokedex entries. You don't think that real Indian Elephants exist in the game, do you?

Because Gen 1 has all these weird tidbits that doesn't fit with the series since. All we can do is retcon or look at it at a different angle to make it go along with what we know of the series since then. Real life Indian Elephant doesn't exist in the game, so it is probably a pokemon based on one that may appear in a future gen. Mew "gave birth", so it must be a metaphor since pokemon only lay eggs.

Edit: My mistake. It seems that the Indian Elephant pokedex was only in FRLG and not orginal RGBY. But my point still stands some stuff from gen 1 need to be retcon for it to fit with what we know of the Pokemon series until now.

Last edited:
The date could just means that it was when they successfully clone a live Mewtwo.

Yes, eggs didn't exist until gen 2 that is true and that is why this text exist. But at the same time, this is Gen 1, we're talking about. They didn't know where to take the series yet. They also mention an Indian Elephant in Raichu pokedex entries. You don't think that real Indian Elephants exist in the game, do you? Because Gen 1 has all these weird tidbits that doesn't fit with the series since. All we can do is retcon or look at it at a different angle to make it go along with what we know of the series since then. Real life Indian Elephant doesn't exist in the game, so it is probably a pokemon based on one that will appear in a future gen. Mew "gave birth", so it must be a metaphor since pokemon only lay eggs.
It could be forcibly re-interpreted as a metaphor now because we know that eggs are a thing at this point in time, but for the original lore, it was probably meant literally. Especially since it really doesn't make sense as a metaphor in context- Mew gave birth to a newborn on that day. It's not remotely vague about that.

As for what it means in the remake- it means exactly the same thing it did in the original. They just didn't change the text. Probably didn't even think about it because there's no reason to- we all get the gist that Mewtwo came from Mew and that's all we really need to know because Pokemon is not teaching kids about the birds and the bees and where babies come from.

But at the same time, this is Gen 1, we're talking about. They didn't know where to take the series yet. They also mention an Indian Elephant in Raichu pokedex entries. You don't think that real Indian Elephants exist in the game, do you?
Actually, the Indian Elephant doesn't come from Gen 1, it comes from Gen 3. (and, weirdly, in Sun, too)
Pokemon is not teaching kids about the birds and the bees and where babies come from.
Okay, but now I kinda want to know-who would have been Mewtwo's father?

Okay, but now I kinda want to know-who would have been Mewtwo's father?
If Mew really did give birth and not just clone. Probably a Ditto. Unless, the theory about Ditto being a failed Mew clone is real. Then I don't know what.

Ditto being available at the Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar support both actually. They could be there because they were failed clone release into the wild. Or they are the remnant of the Ditto that were used to breed with Mew.

Probably a Ditto. Unless, the theory about Ditto being s failed Mew is real. Then I don't know what.

Ditto being available at the Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar support both actually. They could be there because they were failed clone release into the wild. Or they are the remnant of the Ditto that were used to breed with Mew.
I feel that I should point out that you do not need a mommy and a daddy to make a clone. Mew did not need to breed with anything, because that's not how cloning works.

I feel that I should point out that you do not need a mommy and a daddy to make a clone. Mew did not need to breed with anything, because that's not how cloning works.
Oh I know. But since we are now going with Mew did hypotheltically give birth in Gen 1, I just want to theorize for fun.

Clones are still birthed, though. XD You just don't breed for them because that's not cloning.
Yeah, this. In real life, a clone needs a mother to be birthed from. Thus, Mewtwo could still be a clone and also be birthed from a Mew.

Also, because Mew can't have eggs in the game, you never know if Mew is one pokemon (if not one of many) that can actually give live birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom