• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hoopa's movie had foreshadowed "I Choose You" and "Power of Us". I also think it was hinting that XY and Mega anime is taking place in a different universe.
Simple proof that X/Y was in the same universe as the other anime series: Pikachu learned Electro Ball in the Best Wishes series, still had it in X/Y, and continued to use it in Sun and Moon until it was replaced with Electroweb. That's continuity.

Plus I Choose You and Power of Us are officially stated to be their own timeline. X/Y is not connected to them at all.

if they choose not to keep regional variants moving forward, I think something similar will replace it. Form changes that offer new designs, but aren't meant to be some huge deal in terms of battles/competitive.

Z moves happened as a result of gamefreak wanting the cool new shiny mechanic to be used by all pokemon, so I think whatever comes next in that regard will be similar. I don't really have any ideas or predictions as to what that could be though since it's so broad. Since we've touched upon natural evolutions (cross gen), form changes, special types of moves, then maybe next they'll focus on shaking up natures or something?

It's not that I want a new gimmick, I also think it would be good if the next generation focused on improving everything we already have (like giving us new Megas, Regional Forms and everything else). But if we were to think of a new gimmick, there would be so many more interesting concepts to approach other than natures...

The fusion concept, the abilities, battle items, assistants Pokémon (like a 7th Pokémon in the party), shinies, artificial created Pokémon, the primal reversion concept - regarding the fossils -, breed variants, combined z-moves (like double z-moves), and even anime inspired concepts such as Crystal or Mecha Pokémon (I don't know if I would like the latter tho).

The possibilities are endless. They can even create new gimmicks unrelated to anything we have in the franchise now (like the Soul Song's rumour).

Last edited:
It's not that I want a new gimmick, I also think it would be good if the next generation focused on improving everything we already have (like giving us new Megas, Regional Forms and everything else). But if we were to think of a new gimmick, there would be so many more interesting concepts to approach other than natures...

The fusion concept, the abilities, battle items, assistants Pokémon (like a 7th Pokémon in the party), shinies, artificial created Pokémon, the primal reversion concept - regarding the fossils -, breed variations, combined z-moves (like double z-moves), and even anime inspired concepts such as Crystal or Mecha Pokémon (I don't know if I would like the latter tho).

The possibilities are endless. They can even create new gimmicks unrelated to anything we have in the franchise (like the Soul Song's rumour).
Totally rooting for assistant/support pokemon over here! If they did that, I would be super excited, because it could be an all new kind of pokemon, far from the traditional kind- maybe they wouldn't even be counted in the pokedex? They could get their own dex, and that could delay us from climbing well over 1000 too quickly too. Like mini support pokemon that you could attach to your pokemon to give boosts and I love this idea so much I'm sorry I keep mentioning it. XD

Simple proof that X/Y was in the same universe as the other anime series: Pikachu learned Electro Ball in the Best Wishes series, still had it in X/Y, and continued to use it in Sun and Moon until it was replaced with Electroweb. That's continuity.

Plus I Choose You and Power of Us are officially stated to be their own timeline. X/Y is not connected to them at all.
That's stupid, Pikachu isn't a bug type. I could imagine Pikachu known Electro ball in new Mewtw movie.

Totally rooting for assistant/support pokemon over here! If they did that, I would be super excited, because it could be an all new kind of pokemon, far from the traditional kind- maybe they wouldn't even be counted in the pokedex? They could get their own dex, and that could delay us from climbing well over 1000 too quickly too. Like mini support pokemon that you could attach to your pokemon to give boosts and I love this idea so much I'm sorry I keep mentioning it. XD
You know, that kinda reminds me of those jellyfish-like things from Phantasy Star 0. Depending on how you raised them, they could use different skills to help you. Then again, I have not played Phantasy Star 0 in years so maybe I'm confusing things.

Yeah, I've seen you suggesting it a few times. :p I had also thought about it while playing SSB, too.

If you think about fighting/arena games, we already have the transformations (Megas), the special movements (Z-moves), it's just missing the assistants.

You know, that kinda reminds me of those jellyfish-like things from Phantasy Star 0. Depending on how you raised them, they could use different skills to help you. Then again, I have not played Phantasy Star 0 in years so maybe I'm confusing things.
XD I've never even heard of it, but it sounds about right. I think someone else compared the idea to support characters in Smash?

I just think it would be awesome to get a whole new class of pokemon that function totally differently from normal to expand the world a bit. Like if they can't fight on their own and have to be attached to one of your pokemon to be used... and can give specific boosts, maybe to certain moves or certain types, or just boost certain stats? I like to think that some moves would be changed to be affected by the presence of a support pokemon- like Infestation could be enhanced if used with the company of a Bug-type supportmon.

Yeah, I've seen you suggesting it a few times. :p I had also thought about it while playing SSB, too.

If you think about fighting/arena games, we already have the transformations (Megas), the special movements (Z-moves), it's just missing the assistants.
Maaaan now you've got me hyped on wanting it again. XD I swear I'll be sad if this doesn't ever happen.

See fake leakers, this is the kind of thing you gotta promise us- I probably wouldn't believe it, but it makes for a heck of a lot more exciting leak.

*pulls self into this forum page, dragging limp body across the posts* I made it out of there. So many memes, so many things that I just, never needed to read. So many things I can't unsee. Such disorganization of posts. I couldn't even navigate myself through the waters of 4chan.

The closest thing I found to a leak was someone making a joke off of leakers, and I can't seem to find it anymore because I closed the page before screenshotting it.

@Champion Cynthia how/why do you manage to dig up some obscure UK reference in any post which is not concerned with the location of the region in the first place?

It’s getting a bit repetitive...

I hope I’m not coming off as rude but I’m tired of seeing us going in the same circle for 8+ pages for obscure reasons in which the ‘source’ was not even referring to the location of the region.

So as far as new mechanics, this is just something random I've been mulling over, but I want to share it:

Mega evolution required a bond with the Pokemon. Presumably, this involves emotions.

Z moves required Willpower (as stated specifically by the item description: "A mysterious ring that enables Pokémon to use Z-Power. It requires both the willpower and the physical power of the Trainer wearing it.")

Out of the three spirits (represented by Uxie, Azelf, and Mespirit), this leaves just Knowledge. I think gen 8 might introduce a mechanic the requires Knowledge and complete the Trifecta. What this could be though, I have no idea.
I actually like this theory a lot, personally I’m a fan of the various aspects of people thing- Knowledge/Emotion/Strength (Willpower), and I’d like to see something which capitalises on valuing the virtue of knowledge.

The astronomy theme theory (not to be confused with the astronomy leak) also seems sensible to me, given the manner GameFreak have brought and expanded the Multiverse and Ultra-concepts. It’s not unreasonable to expect that GameFreak might continue the focus in the next entries.

So since I brought back nothing. Is there a Pokemon, any Pokemon, that you would like to see a regional variant of this generation? (if they brought them back). Would it change types, and what would it be if it did?

I would love to see a regional variants of fossil Pokmeon that because they adapted to this new area, they didn't go extinct, and are thriving in the region they are in. I think that would be a really interesting idea to explore, because it would explore this idea of adaptation more that regional variants really introduced to the series. The first thing that came to mind was maybe seeing a fairy type of Amaura and Aurorus. But any fossil Pokemon would be cool.

because it would explore this idea of adaptation more that regional variants really introduced to the series. The first thing that came to mind was maybe seeing a fairy type of Amaura and Aurorus. But any fossil Pokemon would be cool.
Fire/Dragon Tyrantrum?

Is there a Pokemon, any Pokemon, that you would like to see a regional variant of this generation? (if they brought them back). Would it change types, and what would it be if it did?

1. I really, really want to see a way for Dragonair/Dragonite to get a Fairy type and have a serpentine appearance with good stats, whether it be a split evolution for Dragonair, or a Dragonite regional variant.
2. Ice/Psychic Noctowl based on Snowy Owls.

Arbok is the last of my favorite kanto pokemon that has yet to receive a new something so thats my #1 most desired in gen 8

other stuff, hmm. . maybe zangoose, luxray,honchcrow, johto starters,
Oh yeah Arbok and Ekans should get something cool. And I think its only fair if Koffing and Weezing got forms as well.

It would be really cool to see starters possibly get a variant. It would be another play on that idea that you don't see starters in the whild because they are very rare, but maybe in another region they have a form where they can actually thrive in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom