• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fire/Dragon Tyrantrum?

1. I really, really want to see a way for Dragonair/Dragonite to get a Fairy type and have a serpentine appearance with good stats, whether it be a split evolution for Dragonair, or a Dragonite regional variant.
2. Ice/Psychic Noctowl based on Snowy Owls.

A fire/dragon Tyrantrum would be like, super cool. I was slightly underwhelmed by Tyrantrum. But giving it a fire typing would be absolutely awesome.

I agree with having a serpent like Dragonite. Like Dragonite as it is is pretty cooll, but he's very different. I would love to see him keep more traits from his pre-evos. and a Snowy owl Noctowl sounds legit!

My honest opinion is that they would add some new mechanic that utilizes a feature the Switch possess. It could be the rumble feature or gyro scope tech in the joycons/pro controller or something with how it can go in and out of the dock.

Evidence of this: Pokemom Ranger was designed specifically to utilizes the Nintendo DS touchscreen--literally that was the inspiration for the game.

Then there is Pokemon Rumble to make use of the limited buttons on the Wii's Remote Controller. Not too sure about Wii U, didnt play Pokken much but yeah you could even look past Pokemon because Nintendo as a whole likes to utilize their gimmicks.

So if we are speculating a new mechanic or feature, we could look at it from a hardware angle.

The Plus & Minus rumors do detail MMO mode through using docked mode, something which was not yet created tech in 2014. Not that I am saying Plus & Minus is true, but you could consider maybe a mechanic like that is possible especially if it is "BOTW huge".

EDIT After Getting Caught Up:

Regional variants is so cool! They have done form/variants since XY now, so it is entirely possible that this trend will continue into the eigth generation.

I dont think the willpower thing is a hint at a new mechanic, but with solar system and gen 4 potential hidden in the next generation, it would be a cool if it was true.

Regardless, I think the new "big mechanic" feature will have something involving items: z moves have z crystals, mega evolution has stones. Both of these have also involved the trainer in some way, so it could likely follow that trend, too.

Actually -- a bit unrelated, but I think/would like candies to make a comeback but for them to work as effort values instead of just +200 any stat. And also instant access to the box is way too good. Bringing some LGPE mechanics into the new game couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
My honest opinion is that they would add some new mechanic that utilizes a feature the Switch possess. It could be the rumble feature or gyro scope tech in the joycons/pro controller or something with how it can go in and out of the dock.

Evidence of this: Pokemom Ranger was designed specifically to utilizes the Nintendo DS touchscreen--literally that was the inspiration for the game.

Then there is Pokemon Rumble to make use of the limited buttons on the Wii's Remote Controller. Not too sure about Wii U, didnt play Pokken much but yeah you could even look past Pokemon because Nintendo as a whole likes to utilize their gimmicks.

So if we are speculating a new mechanic or feature, we could look at it from a hardware angle.

The Plus & Minus rumors do detail MMO mode through using docked mode, something which was not yet created tech in 2014. Not that I am saying Plus & Minus is true, but you could consider maybe a mechanic like that is possible especially if it is "BOTW huge".

EDIT After Getting Caught Up:

Regional variants is so cool! They have done form/variants since XY now, so it is entirely possible that this trend will continue into the eigth generation.

I dont think the willpower thing is a hint at a new mechanic, but with solar system and gen 4 potential hidden in the next generation, it would be a cool if it was true.

Regardless, I think the new "big mechanic" feature will have something involving items: z moves have z crystals, mega evolution has stones. Actually -- a bit unrelated, but I think/would like candies to make a comeback but for them to work as effort values instead of just +200 any stat. And also instant access to the box is way too good. Bringing some LGPE mechanics into the new game couldn't hurt.

All the Switch's joycons and motion controls make me think are Z-moves...

A Pokemon that evolves by changing the Switch mode : docked/portable would be a good bet.

All the Switch's joycons and motion controls make me think are Z-moves...

A Pokemon that evolves by changing the Switch mode : docked/portable would be a good bet.

It would make sense for them to maybe make some ultimate move by shaking the controller or reintroducing throwing the pokeball-- they need some kind of mechanic like that for the new generation because they're very easily bored if they dont have a water downed mechanic like that (I mean look at yokai gameplay lol).

Then again, LGPE makes use of Switch technology so it might not be necessary for the mainline game to follow that trend.

I edited my last post with a bunch of new information after catching up if anyone is interested!

I am personally in favor of a more conservative generation like 1 and 5; a lot of new designs with no huge new gimmick like mega's or z-moves.

The meta has changed into a burst-y powermove match with a decreasing variety of usable mons.

Things like "fusion" are a big no for me.

I am personally in favor of a more conservative generation like 1 and 5; a lot of new designs with no huge new gimmick like mega's or z-moves.

The meta has changed into a burst-y powermove match with a decreasing variety of usable mons.

Things like "fusion" are a big no for me.

As a Smogon Player I totally agree, but I also want to predict what I think is most likely going to occur.

I really hope Z moves stay in Alola--theyre very unbalanced in a competitive environment imo

Also: one pokemon only evolves in handheld mode and another only evolves in docked mode, calling it now folks.

As a Smogon Player I totally agree, but I also want to predict what I think is most likely going to occur.

I really hope Z moves stay in Alola--theyre very unbalanced in a competitive environment imo

Also: one pokemon only evolves in handheld mode and another only evolves in docked mode, calling it now folks.
They're going to stay, and you might just have to deal with it. Some pokemon are improved thanks to z-move, same impact as megas. Not mention they already went out their way with the animations.

They're going to stay, and you might just have to deal with it. Some pokemon are improved thanks to z-move, same impact as megas. Not mention they already went out their way with the animations.

I was just saying what I was hoping for. I know it is unlikely. Z Moves at a high level is very unpredictable and makes a lot of otherwise "strong" Pokemon into "near impossible to deal with" because you have to respect many different Z move possibilities. I respect that it is a game mechanic that I must learn to play with, but that doesnt change the validity of my opinion of it being unhealthy in a competitive environment. My only hope is that Z moves required alolan dances and shards and it's so in tune with their culture that they might not crossover. Or there could be some alolan dancer NPC that gives you Z moves lol

Anyway @ the other person, I dont think there are any new leaks at the moment :(

It's safe to say that Z will be here to stay. Z was a even bigger hit with the Japanese than mega was and with less community complaints. Fully expect future generations to get more Mega and Z support.

That being said. I dont want any more gimmicks introduced, can we just have some normal cross gen evolutions for a change or a Generation where only new pokemon are introduced like in BW lol Really dislike how in new generations new pokemon are insanely rare and you have to go out of your way to bling out your team XD

It's safe to say that Z will be here to stay. Z was a even bigger hit with the Japanese than mega was and with less community complaints. Fully expect future generations to get more Mega and Z support.

That being said. I dont want any more gimmicks introduced, can we just have some normal cross gen evolutions for a change or a Generation where only new pokemon are introduced like in BW lol Really dislike how in new generations new pokemon are insanely rare and you have to go out of your way to bling out your team XD
Still wouldn't reach GFs goal of setting each game apart from the other. Cross gen evos alone aren't going to cut it.

Still wouldn't reach GFs goal of setting each game apart from the other. Cross gen evos alone aren't going to cut it.
Why do you think battle gimmicks are the only thing that can set each game apart? Don’t you think that content, story, region design, graphics, and you know, new Pokemon are far more important in making each gen distinct?

We dont know the specific criteria that Masuda and Gamefreak have on paper that makes each generation stand apart from each other. Im not a member of Gamefreak and neither is anyone here. Anything or anything could happen at this stage. Even then cross gen evos are really minor compared to the overall feel of each generation, the lore, history and so on. It doesnt break it.

I have seen many Japanese fans treat Sylveon as a cross gen evo, are the eevee's counted in this regard ?

Anyway, do we have a potential day to look out for according to a leak? Or are all of them debunked.
The 15th they are holding a private event
Coincidently (or not) It's a tuesday(pokemon news is usually on tuesdsy), and pokemon merch is on the 2nd floor

Also, did anyone else get the email with the plusle and minun picture?

The 15th they are holding a private event
Coincidently (or not) It's a tuesday(pokemon news is usually on tuesdsy), and pokemon merch is on the 2nd floor
A NintendoNYC private event has nothing to do with announcements. As mentioned a few pages back, they’ve done this before and nothing came out of it.

Also, if there was news on Tuesday, the store wouldn’t close. On the contrary, NintendoNYC encourages people to go to their store on direct days. So it’s the opposite of what you’re thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom