• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eeveelutions got introduced in every single even# region to date, but they could break precedent here. I would like a Dragon evolution to finally finish off all the old special types theme, even though Umbreon was originally slated to be Poison.

In the sense of Link being asleep for 100 years while the world goes to hell when Ganon attacks, waking up to then explore and learn from the other "arguably" 4 elemental based nations, while exposition is delivered via past lost friends still alive or otherwise... yeah, that very much reminded me of A:TLA

This is not a criticism btw, as I loved BOTW. Aside from lore, most of its story happened while traveling and exploring, with a lot of little nuances which added to the overall plot, feel, and orientation of the situation within each kingdom. You felt "apart" of the world, and the endgame villain was kinda like Firelord Ozai, in the sense that his main purpose was this overbearing villain which needed to be defeated in the end once you've mastered the 4 Elements/Sacred Beast.

I'm not as familiar with the Soul series, so perhaps that is a better comparison. If Gen 8 did adopt a similar style, I think it would be the perfect balance between those that want more plot and those who simply want to explore since the two are intertwined.

GF doesn't rely on patterns.

The recent leak is probably fake, specially due to the pseudo-getting-a-Mega thing. Gamefreak have already mentioned they don’t want to design a new Pokemon and its mega in the same generation for creative/design reasons.

They’re afraid of subconsciously making the base Pokemon look ‘incomplete’ without its Mega.

That gave the shaft to the Kalos starters, until that frog snowflake got something similar to a Mega.

What if for one generation, they replace Zubat with Woobat as wild encounters on the first pair of games? Could work to mix it up for once, besides, Zubats can be obtained in the Gen 4 remakes anyways, so no big loss if that happens.

I would love if Gen 8 did what BW did with new mons. That would be super refreshing in itself.

5 years ago I probably would have hated the idea of only having the current generation of Pokemon being available. But honestly now I don't think I would mind it too much. Or at least maybe make the older mons really rare on the routes, so you have better chances of encountering the new stuff.

I would love if Gen 8 did what BW did with new mons. That would be super refreshing in itself.

Totally agree. I’ve never fully understood the argument against this to be honest. There are now so many games in which all current Pokémon can be obtained, I’d love if every first game in a new gen had only brand new Pokémon available - at least until post game (at which point you could then transfer your old Pokémon from bank to your hearts content).

I’ve been buying Pokémon games for 20 years now... the biggest appeal of a new game (for me anyway) is the possibility of new Pokémon because let’s be honest, nothing else changes aaaaallll that much.

Optimistically hoping for 100+ new Pokémon in the 2019 release!

Totally agree. I’ve never fully understood the argument against this to be honest. There are now so many games in which all current Pokémon can be obtained, I’d love if every first game in a new gen had only brand new Pokémon available - at least until post game (at which point you could then transfer your old Pokémon from bank to your hearts content).

I’ve been buying Pokémon games for 20 years now... the biggest appeal of a new game (for me anyway) is the possibility of new Pokémon because let’s be honest, nothing else changes aaaaallll that much.

Optimistically hoping for 100+ new Pokémon in the 2019 release!

Exactly my thoughts friend. I want to be engrossed in the new !

The poor guy thinks leaks like that will end...

I really want a moa Pokémon, but I feel that the closest thing we have is Doduo/Dodrio, so maybe it will end as a regional variant of them.

While that leak sounds cool, and a fire zebra is a really neat idea to have it still be based on the chinese zodiac (horse) but not make it "just ponyta again", I can't see them having another bird-based grass starter straight after decidueye. But who knows, it's the company that gave us 3 fire/fighting starters in a row...

Other than that I'm also hoping for ~100 new mons, including x-gen evos, megas and who knows, throw some regional forms in there, why not.

Edit: oh and new fossils. Would love to see a Rock/Electric Raptor and a Rock/Dark Spino.

It doesn't get brought up a lot, but what about the possibility the new region will be based on a region Japan again? As far as I can see, the remaining plausible regions are the Touhoku, Shikoku, Chuugoku regions and maybe Okinawa, though that might be too similar to Alola. These areas are seen as more rural, which would be a nice break from the previous metropolitan regions, especially Kalos and Unova.

Of course, they each have their own unique culture and history as well. For example, Izumo in Shimane Prefecture houses what is said to be the oldest Shinto shrine in Japan and has stood at the cradle of Japanese religion since before recorded history. Shikoku on the other hand is well known for its Buddhist pelgrimages touring the whole island. Touhoku has the colder climate many people are anticipating with snowy mountains, hot springs and big lakes, just to name a few things. It would naturally be possible to visit (certain areas of) previous Japanese regions too, such as Sinnoh and Johto, which are geographically close to the real life regions of Touhoku, Shikoku and Chuugoku.

After three generations of foreign regions, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a return to Japan. After all, the regions of the first four generations are still preferred by many over their successors. On the other hand, maybe the exoticism that comes with visiting regions based on other countries is becoming one of Pokémon's appealing points to players. I for one would love to see the new generation go back to its roots on the new console.

Hey! I think I finally found an accurate leak!

99FD4851-BA41-4365-855A-03410CD25653.jpeg

What if for one generation, they replace Zubat with Woobat as wild encounters on the first pair of games? Could work to mix it up for once, besides, Zubats can be obtained in the Gen 4 remakes anyways, so no big loss if that happens.

or a Noibat early for once that we have fairies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom