• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. I’ve never fully understood the argument against this to be honest. There are now so many games in which all current Pokémon can be obtained, I’d love if every first game in a new gen had only brand new Pokémon available - at least until post game (at which point you could then transfer your old Pokémon from bank to your hearts content).

I’ve been buying Pokémon games for 20 years now... the biggest appeal of a new game (for me anyway) is the possibility of new Pokémon because let’s be honest, nothing else changes aaaaallll that much.

Optimistically hoping for 100+ new Pokémon in the 2019 release!
Hnnnngh no- some of us prefer to play with pokemon we actually like, so at the risk of getting another region like B/W, I have to say hell no. I'd rather have some old familiar favorites available (just some! not oversaturating the region or anything) than have to struggle to get a team together out of a lot of new unappealing options.

If B/W's roster wasn't so damn ugly it would probably be less of a concern, though.

Hnnnngh no- some of us prefer to play with pokemon we actually like, so at the risk of getting another region like B/W, I have to say hell no. I'd rather have some old familiar favorites available (just some! not oversaturating the region or anything) than have to struggle to get a team together out of a lot of new unappealing options.

If B/W's roster wasn't so damn ugly it would probably be less of a concern, though.

I agree with this one!
I had no issues doing my platinum run with all Sinnoh Pokémon (and Weavile being the only cross-gen), but Black/White in that style? No.

I don’t like majority of the Pokémon in Generation 5 so such a forced run would’ve been a nightmare for me.

I tend to like the newer designs better than most and all of Alola's and Kalos' Pokemon are memorable to me.(specially Alola where most new Pokemon have some kind of signature move/ability).

So... the 80 Pokemon/Gen +New forms works much better imo than 150+ but no old Pokémon.
besides I need a Raichu in every playthrough

Also a big no for only a dex with new Pokemon for me to.

Having only new Pokemon would probably mean once more taking the inspiration for the Pokemon from the Gen I ones and in that case, they would feel like Rip-offs.
There are some good Gen V Pokemon but otherwise I disliked about half of them.

The other problem much more glaring problem. Restricted to most likely 150 Pokemon until post-game. That means seeing the same Pokemon again and again, gyms only having 1-2 Pokemon lines etc. and that would be hideous.

Yup... can’t beat the excitement of loading up a brand new Pokémon game and running into a Pidgey for your first wild encounter...

All joking aside, it’s obviously a very subjective thing. If there are no Pokémon out of 100 or so brand new Pokémon that appeal to you, that’s extremely unfortunate.

Personally I really like the selection in BW and honestly I’d rather have a completely fresh new regional Pokédex to discover at the risk of not liking one single Pokémon than enter into a region with a pretty firm idea of what to expect.

Nothing worse in a new Pokémon game when the new Pokémon have insane wild encounter rates and you have to go out of your way to get them LOL

I don’t want have to sift through tons of old Pokémon encounters to get to those new mons.

But if they do the LGPE models in the overworld, this immediately fixes this issue. Hopefully generation 8 does this.

Nothing worse in a new Pokémon game when the new Pokémon have insane wild encounter rates and you have to go out of your way to get them LOL

I don’t want have to sift through tons of old Pokémon encounters to get to those new mons.

But if they do the LGPE models in the overworld, this immediately fixes this issue. Hopefully generation 8 does this.

Yeah that’s a really good point - at least being able to identify and avoid the same old same old in the overworld would eliminate the disappointment of running into your 17’846th wild... Nidoran, or something.

It doesn't get brought up a lot, but what about the possibility the new region will be based on a region Japan again? As far as I can see, the remaining plausible regions are the Touhoku, Shikoku, Chuugoku regions and maybe Okinawa, though that might be too similar to Alola. These areas are seen as more rural, which would be a nice break from the previous metropolitan regions, especially Kalos and Unova.

Of course, they each have their own unique culture and history as well. For example, Izumo in Shimane Prefecture houses what is said to be the oldest Shinto shrine in Japan and has stood at the cradle of Japanese religion since before recorded history. Shikoku on the other hand is well known for its Buddhist pelgrimages touring the whole island. Touhoku has the colder climate many people are anticipating with snowy mountains, hot springs and big lakes, just to name a few things. It would naturally be possible to visit (certain areas of) previous Japanese regions too, such as Sinnoh and Johto, which are geographically close to the real life regions of Touhoku, Shikoku and Chuugoku.

After three generations of foreign regions, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a return to Japan. After all, the regions of the first four generations are still preferred by many over their successors. On the other hand, maybe the exoticism that comes with visiting regions based on other countries is becoming one of Pokémon's appealing points to players. I for one would love to see the new generation go back to its roots on the new console.

RuffledRowlit had a theory on it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wjgrd0VVkQ

Yup... can’t beat the excitement of loading up a brand new Pokémon game and running into a Pidgey for your first wild encounter...

All joking aside, it’s obviously a very subjective thing. If there are no Pokémon out of 100 or so brand new Pokémon that appeal to you, that’s extremely unfortunate.

Personally I really like the selection in BW and honestly I’d rather have a completely fresh new regional Pokédex to discover at the risk of not liking one single Pokémon than enter into a region with a pretty firm idea of what to expect.
That actually is where I agree that things could definitely be rebalanced- the new regional bird, bug, and rodent should be the first things that you encounter. There's no reason why we should have been encountering Caterpie right off the bat in Sun and Moon. At least with those early pokemon, they are usually the first things you replace on your team anyway, so I wouldn't argue with early routes having potentially ugly new pokemon I don't want and then the new pokemon becoming rarer as I progress. I think that would kind of make it more exciting overall?

Last edited:
\

I like this idea.

Personnaly, I think that make more sens than england. It can also be a way to have a link with Sinnoh and then releasing a remake of Diamod and Pearl with the same mechanic of the 8th Gen.

Lol if it is indeed based on Niigata it'll prob get postponed considering the current affairs there.

Personnaly, I think that make more sens than england. It can also be a way to have a link with Sinnoh and then releasing a remake of Diamod and Pearl with the same mechanic of the 8th Gen.
They had Hoenn (which is based on Kyushu) released in a gen where the main region, Kalos, is based on France. The new gen region doesn't have to correlate with the region that gets remade (if Sinnoh is remade in Gen 8).

They had Hoenn (which is based on Kyushu) released in a gen where the main region, Kalos, is based on France. The new gen region doesn't have to correlate with the region that gets remade (if Sinnoh is remade in Gen 8).

I know, but it could be interesting, and they can also include Sinnoh in the gen 8 games and have a multi region generation.

I'd like GF to start using Japan as basis for their region designs again.

Maybe we'll (finally!) see the routes between 48 and 101, or between 134 and 201. :LOL:

If the theory is true and Gen 8 is based somewhat on Weather, Tohoku could be interesting. Especially with their interesting weather up there. They have hot springs in icy mountains up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom