• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, we've talked about gen 5 Pokémon in the gen 6 rumors thread, the gen 7 rumors thread, and now in the gen 8 rumors thread. I just don't understand the trauma some people seem to have suffered where every time someone mentions gen 5 in some way we have to have this long discussion about gen 5 again.

At this point the people who like it are not going to change their mind, and the people who hate it are probably not going to change their mind. It's a dead mudsdale which I wish we could let rest in peace already. Gen 5 happened it is a part of Pokémon's history and we are all going to have to accept that it's going to be the divisive generation and maybe not jump on people every time someone dares mentions the phrase gen 5.
I think you're missing the point of why it keeps coming up and getting discussed at length- it's not a squabble between Gen 5 lovers and haters, but between people who don't want to experience another region like it and those who do. And both sides have a valid opinion on the matter- I get those in favor wanting a region full of exciting new pokemon, but I am also very much on the side of "rather have a safety net of old pokemon in case I would much rather toss 99% of the new pokemon off a cliff."

Personally, I think the best thing a new generation could offer is a middle ground with a good overload of new pokemon at the beginning and becoming more intermixed with older gens as you progress. Preferably with a pretty even mix around the middle so you don't have to suffer until post-game to get a decent team of pokemon you like.

I think we can assume that by the time June rolls around, we'll already have seen the games, starters, legends, etc. May is pretty much 100% guaranteed to give us something

It's more of matter of whether or not we'll get anything before. It's likely, and I hope so, but it was may 2018 that generation 8 was first mentioned officially. I would totally not put it behind gamefreak/tpc at all to just wait till then to reveal the games (I don't think this is a good idea but it is a possibility)

on the topic of gen 5, and what it could mean for gen 8, etc, I'd personally like the generation 8 dex to take a hoenn approach.

Plenty new pokemon, mostly focus on new pokemon, but don't completely ignore the older pokemon. It's a good way to keep both sides happy. I'm a huge fan of what generation 5 did but I understand how divisive it was and can see how that approach isn't for everyone

View: https://twitter.com/pokebeach_wpm/status/1086020618753994752

Haha, Pokebeach. XD

Would be interesting if this does lead up to something, though. The Meltan event in Pokemon GO was very well-timed (on the 808th day since the launch of Pokemon GO). Sincerely doubt it'll be an announcement, but maybe something else will be revealed... or maybe they're in for the long haul and gonna do a fact for every single pokemon until something happens in 2021. XD

Gonna run out of LGPE gifs well before we get to Gen 8, though, so probably not.

I feel like they did what they did with gen 5 because NYC is so far away from Japan and all the main series regions before it were based on Japan. NYC and Japan have a lot of animals you can't find in each other, so the regions reflect this so they could emphasize their differences. (They should've put a few there though - vulpix for example, miltank, and so on.)

Then they realized some fans didn't like it (and for probably many other reasons) and changed it for pokefrance and pokehawaii. I don't expect them to do something like that again.

About the Tweet...Well, Shaymin, Keldeo and Diancie got their new forms revealed around that day, one month before their movie. But Mewtwo getting one then doesn't align with what we know from the merchandise...I guess time will tell. However, WPM seems to be hinting towards a game reveal in that date, which doesn't sound right not only because is too late but also because it doesn't make sense that they would prioritize Gen I in a year where we're supposed to receive new Pokemon.

About Gen V, there were many factors that contributed to it being not that memorable to people Pokemon-wise:
-We kinda received most of them at the same time, as before Sep 10/2010 only 21% of them had been revealed.
-The sprites were terrible.
-New forms started to appear 11 months after the international release and new Pokemon 22 months after.
However, I think that if you revisit each Pokemon slowly and deeply, you will see that most of their designs are fine and that there's a Pokemon for every kind of fan and that every filler or ugly Pokemon is more unique than you think. I prefer it to Gen I.

http://i.********/vp/1547741698947.jpg
http://i.********/vp/1547742134297.jpg

Seems pretty fake, what do you think?

Yeah that's fake. Not only is the art style really off from what art styles for Pokemon usually look like, but the rabbit looks incredibly similar, even with some of the posing, to the starters leak that emerged around this time last year, that was proven fake.

Last edited:
A new gen will never get revealed that late, especially when we should see new stuff for the mewtwo movie in the april at worst.

I've seen this confidence elsewhere too, but it seems unjustified since the movie appears like it's going to be a one for one remake of the original Pokemon movie. My prediction is that if we get something it won't be from the movie.

Yeah that's fake. Not only is the art style really off from what art styles for Pokemon usually look like, but the rabbit looks incredibly similar, even with some of the posing, to the starters leak that emerged around this time last year, that was proven fake.

The raccoon is the least believable of the three. Even Rowlett had something resembling part of a plant on its body. All of the grass starters did with the possible exception of Treeko (although the tail still managed to look somewhat leaf-like). This green trash panda is literally just a green trash panda. Its not ugly necessarily, just not consistent with the usual art style.

I've seen this confidence elsewhere too, but it seems unjustified since the movie appears like it's going to be a one for one remake of the original Pokemon movie. My prediction is that if we get something it won't be from the movie.
There's still a good chance that they might alter it to include something, though. Mewtwo Strikes Back was only a 75 minute movie- 85 with the prologue- so there's certainly room to add more to the film.

Actually, there's a certain aspect of the first movie that should theoretically guarantee the presence of at least one new pokemon- Donphan debuted in the first movie. Its role in the whole movie was inconsequential to the point of being forgettable entirely, but that was one of the first reveals of Gen 2. If they really wanted to keep the spirit of those opening credits (assuming they keep those credits... kinda have to if it's a 1:1 remake) then an all-new pokemon should replace Donphan. If they don't replace Donphan then hoo boy did they miss an opportunity and the whole point of it being there.

Edit: Thinking more on it, there are a lot of pokemon in the original movie that could easily be swapped out without changing the script.

Last edited:
Edit: Thinking more on it, there are a lot of pokemon in the original movie that could easily be swapped out without changing the script.
Well, if I remember the movie correctly, every single Pokémon by the other three trainers with the exception of the Starters and possibly the Pokémon they used to get to New Island(?) could be replaced with no problems since I don't remember them getting much spotlight. Maybe they will give them Pokémon from the rest of the gens. Maybe they will show what happened to that girl that didn't reach New Island.

Well, if I remember the movie correctly, every single Pokémon by the other three trainers with the exception of the Starters and possibly the Pokémon they used to get to New Island(?) could be replaced with no problems since I don't remember them getting much spotlight. Maybe they will give them Pokémon from the rest of the gens. Maybe they will show what happened to that girl that didn't reach New Island.
Yeah, that's a whole ton of pokemon there that could be easily replaced, so... plenty of opportunity to sneak some new (or newer) pokemon in without having to change the story at all. They could probably replace Brock and Misty too, but after LGPE, I'm not sure they would.

I'm almost excited for the movie after thinking about this now, but at the same time... the CGI doesn't appeal to me and the English version is bound to get a total rewrite considering 4kids era dubbing. XD And that battle scene without Brother My Brother? Wouldn't be the saaaaaame.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRHx7bsG1o

This guy has a lot of good point! I also dislike the newer pokemon game.

He's definitely not the first person to make those points, I've been saying things like that for the last 5 years. Game Freak's problem is that they've become utterly obsessed with the mobile market to the point where they feel the need to strip everything down and simplify to the point where the games have no substance. There was an infamous interview back in 2014 about why the Battle Frontier wasn't in ORAS where they specifically pointed to smartphone gamers not spending time on mobile games and thought no one wanted them.

Q:We noticed ORAS had a lower difficulty level compared to previous Pokemon games. What bought you to this decision? Any chance that future games will have the possibility to adjust difficulty level as seen in Black and White 2?

A:What? How come you've already played the games? hearty laughter [the games were supposed to come out in Italy the day after the interview] We created a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past. The player can choose to keep on playing after the main story and continue to the post-game, where the difficulty rises and there are much more difficult Trainers and challenges to overcome.

Q:Why wasn't the Battle Frontier in the remakes?

A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2olmtb/interview_with_masuda_on_oras_and_why_there_is_no/

This design philosophy is the root cause of everything that's wrong with Pokemon right now. They think kids have the attention span of a goldfish so they make the games mind numbingly easy, restrict the player into going where they want them to go and doing what they want them to do, force the players to sit through tutorials regardless of whether they know the mechanic or not, remove any semblance of substance, and phase mechanics in and out. For the series to actually improve they have to get past this mindset. Hopefully this year's game will be the one to do it, but it's hard to say since even in transitioning to consoles they've only doubled down with LGPE going even further in the direction of designing the game like a mobile game.

He's definitely not the first person to make those points, I've been saying things like that for the last 5 years. Game Freak's problem is that they've become utterly obsessed with the mobile market to the point where they feel the need to strip everything down and simplify to the point where the games have no substance. There was an infamous interview back in 2014 about why the Battle Frontier wasn't in ORAS where they specifically pointed to smartphone gamers not spending time on mobile games and thought no one wanted them.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2olmtb/interview_with_masuda_on_oras_and_why_there_is_no/

This design philosophy is the root cause of everything that's wrong with Pokemon right now. They think kids have the attention span of a goldfish so they make the games mind numbingly easy, restrict the player into going where they want them to go and doing what they want them to do, force the players to sit through tutorials regardless of whether they know the mechanic or not, remove any semblance of substance, and phase mechanics in and out. For the series to actually improve they have to get past this mindset. Hopefully this year's game will be the one to do it, but it's hard to say since even in transitioning to consoles they've only doubled down with LGPE going even further in the direction of designing the game like a mobile game.
Mind-numbing easy? I actually feel they are getting harder each time with the exception of X/Y which went back to Gen III easy.

Honestly, I did say this before and I'll say it again, the DS Era was the golden era for Pokemon, it was when more content was the common thing. It was where difficulty actually meant something, like they weren't holding back when things needed to get difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom