• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the Battle Royal for Gen 8? But fix it so that a match ends only when one trainer's team remains instead of when one team is eliminated.

Can I ask people something? Has anyone actually disproven this? People belittle Masuda's point that kids today don't have as big of an attention span. But isn't that true? I hear it all the time on NPR and there are a number of experts in child development who seem to think this is true as well.
Seems to be a pretty debated topic. I'm finding articles saying that isn't true at all, and tracing it to a poorly done study.
https://www.sourceglobalresearch.com/blog/2018/02/15/attention-spans-are-getting-shorter-or-are-they
Busting the attention span myth

I know anecdotal evidence isn't any foundation for a firm conclusion, but considering how dedicated some kids are to games that they're invested in, like Minecraft, Fornite, and Smash, I'm pretty skeptical of the idea. And if nothing else, it's still not a justification to charge people more money for a game with less content-either keep going with this less content model and charge people less, or give people more content for the price. I don't think this has been an issue in the past very much, but Gen 8 is likely to cost at least 50$.

On the topic of comparing Pokemon to mobile games, this is what I found on Smogon:
As for the whole "Pokemon is Too Big to Fail" thing we have to focus on what Gamefreak actually cares about, which they themselves have claimed is their child audience
unfortunately that does not mean just any child audience

Let's be honest, Gamefreak cares about Japan first and foremost and any and all of their efforts are focused on Japan first, we "overseas" audience are peripheral, nice to have sure, but when thinking about how their games are received they're not looking at what IGN said but at what Famitsu did

with that in mind let's see how Pokemon is doing in Japan among children and see if it is "Too Big to Fail"

rankinggraph1-e1529675982428.jpg

this here is a chart of what franchises are most popular among children under 12 according to Bandai, japan's biggest expert in (and owner of most) children's entertainment all over Japan

legend-e1529670935565.jpg

as we see for the last 5 years Pokemon has been on the decline among children, not only did Yokai Watch scare the pants out of them (and we know it did just by looking at the ratings of the anime and subsequent changes to it) but even after Yokai Watch's popularity waned it still hasn't recovered, in fact Pokemon is even less popular now

not only is Pokemon not "Too Big to Fail", it is failing (well, starting to decline) in japan

this whole trend to "appeal to children more than to old time fans" is a reaction to the franchise faltering in Japan, after all the otaku will buy anything but children are fickle customers (you're not an otaku you say? well you're consuming something meant for children under 12 so to Gamefreak and TPC you're an otaku and a hikkokimori and a bunch of other things that may or may not apply to your demographic in you country; what's a millennial? otaku are herbivores!)
what are (japanese) children into these days? cute things! friendly and harmless things! easy things!
Mainukurafto? what's that?

the recent trend to makes the games simpler and easier to play, the stripping the games of their complexity, the hand-holding, heck even the appeal to nostalgia is they going back to something they know works
those are made not from overconfidence but from desperation, Gamefreak knows is failing and is playing catch-up, just like Sega was playing catch-up to the PC Engine
imitating tendencies that are popular in Japan at the moment regardless of what any other country thinks about those tendencies

so, will Gamefreak run into "Pokemon fatigue" as each new instalment tries to appeal to children by making things "softer and easier" in a world where (western) children are into PUBG and sandbox games?

maybe, but it won't be because they think they can "sell anything and people will buy it anyways"

So the recent trend right now to appeal to mobile games is because apparently because Pokemon is falling for children in Japan. And I've heard mobile gaming is very popular in Japan, can anyone back me up on this? Of course, on an overall scale, this doesn't matter so much since Pokemon much more global influence than these other games. Problem is that Pokemon is global Phenomenon and gets revenue from all over the world in much more quantites than other franchises, so the failure in Japan isn't to serious. But GF still insists on trying to appeal their Japanese Audiences ( Children Specifically ) more than anything even when its not required, and the results are very present from the incompleteness to of XY to hand holing of Let's Go. So if GF says children prefer mobile games, there only talking about Japanese Children.

Why does that chart have blanks? For instance, 2018's 6th, 7th, 9th and 10th places are missing. Also, what exactly are they measuring? Toys sales only?

That chart is a little...deceptive. Not all of the things on there are games. How do you compare the popularity of a game with the popularity of an anime show like Pretty Cure (it's still going?). Idk I'm not saying the conclusion is wrong the but the data is hard to understand.

That chart is a little...deceptive. Not all of the things on there are games. How do you compare the popularity of a game with the popularity of an anime show like Pretty Cure (it's still going?). Idk I'm not saying the conclusion is wrong the but the data is hard to understand.
It's about the franchise as a whole, not just the games.

I assume that it includes everything but video games, as otherwise Pokemon would be first or at least second instead of Anpanman. But then the percentage of young players is very hard to decipher.

Last edited:
Two things I want to bring up:

Pokemon CEO Says Developing For Switch Was ‘More Difficult Than We Expected’ | My Nintendo News

Game Freak Says They Are Hoping To Surprise Players In 2019 | My Nintendo News

I wonder if development for Gen 8 is a bit delayed? Just a guess.

However: it seems Gamefreak is confident that Gen 8 will excite and surprise people, so perhaps this is an indicator that they won't hold back as much. At the very least I think we can see some sort of gimmick -- something we won't expect that isn't part of their tradition.

My wish/Wild take is that Gen 8 is Universe/Space theme and you can travel to Sinnoh afterwards. I mean the switch is powerful enough and they haven't had two regions since Gold/Silver. I know it probably won't happen, but part of me really wants to explore that possibility! They wouldn't have to include a remake if they put both regions into one game, and gen 4 remake has been woefully overdue. And if you think about it, if Gen 8 is solar system/universe themed, it would tie in to Sinnoh very easily. If anything it's because we are overdue for a Gen 4 remake that makes me think the solar system rumor/or theories on Steven Hawking/artist might be on to something (there are a lot of in-game hints at space/universe theme, too... maybe nothing concrete, but it does make me excited)

EDIT;

@ below I realized that after I posted oops.

There is trademarks for 15 kanto pokemon was that ever discussed or found out??

Also monpoke was trademarked after LGPE, posting screenshot as attatchment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190119-032006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190119-032006_Chrome.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
When the Pokemon Company President and CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara mentioned about difficulties with the switch title, was that in regards to LGPE or Gen 8 ? If so, that potentially may mean the Gen 8 game and LGPE might not be based off the same engine unlike with XY, ORAS, SM and USUM.

He was talking about LGPE, but it most likely applies to the next games as well:

"While you can still play in handheld mode, you now have the option of playing on a bigger TV screen while in docked mode. Given this new hardware, I’ve found it harder to make a new mainline Pokemon game than I had originally thought. Even as a Pokemon game on the Switch, does it still work? Is it possible for me to make all of those playstyles interesting? I think it’s probably about five times harder than any of you could imagine!"

And I don't know, I'm almost 30 with no kids whatsoever so kids could indeed have a shorter attention span nowadays and I wouldn't know.

I'm nearing 32 and have no kids either so Im not sure.

Having my first child in June! I’ll give you irrefutable anecdotal evidence about their attention span in a few months’ time (and definitely 100% unskewed by their father’s love for Pokémon).

As someone who has turned 23 years old two days ago, I noticed that my cousin's child definitely has a huge attention span, as she seem to want to keep trying again and again after losing to an A.I. opponent, so that proves that the attention span was just a reason being thought out in the spot and not planned to be said.

I wonder if development for Gen 8 is a bit delayed? Just a guess.

I'd say so. Game Freak have admitted that they were having issues developing for the Switch, and they were very non-committal about information on the Switch games since they announced them at E3 2017. All we got was a vague release date of "2018 or later". That to me says that GF had a large issue/s, had a solution, but no idea how long the issue/s would take to get resolved.

Either way, they need to have a new generation this year if they want their audience to stay, as the last two years were recycled content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom