• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really make that much more sense to have a countdown for 151 Pokemon to reveal a new generation? It'd be like using one specific old car to promote a new one, while skipping over the six other old cars that were released in between the two.

Something else to consider with this countdown is that it's not being posted anywhere besides twitter. But with Pokemon social media, they usually crosspost big news. Look at what they did with the new Detective Pikachu trailer, for example, or the Detective Pikachu TCG sets:

Exact same posts across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

For that matter, while their Instagram skipped over it, a new TCG set was also announced on both Facebook and Twitter.

Now, as excited as I am for Detective Pikachu, and as much as I love the TCG, I'm pretty sure the Gen 8 games would be a bigger deal than both of them. So if this is counting down to an announcement, why are they only posting it on one page?

That's kind of my point is that they wouldn't use a countdown of the first 151 to announce a new gen. It would be ridiculously long and again would only be one gen. They would need something that happens far sooner and that could be done if they did all starter evolutions only. But we don't know where rhis thing is going until Wednesday.

My other point is that even if this wasn't a direct count down to a new gen, indirectly it is because you wouldn't sit here spamming old gen facts and distracting us away from the new gen. So either way, until this thing is over we won't see any news of a new gen.

Paul's new video is up and recaps things pretty nicely, he also talks about the removed product listings, and why he's never mentioned Meltan is being a potential secret. I think the interesting takeaways are

-the "pokemon A" mystery plush set to be revealed late this month is presumably the same "pokemon A" as the mewtwo related figurine next month

-"new pokemon" secret is a small figurine set for late march. This could potentially be Meltan but that chance is less likely now since Meltan's already been shown on leaked Takara Tomy product scans

-"pokemon A" gets another figurine by bandai around April time

and the super interesting thing is that 3 secret pokemon plush were listed as part of detective pikachu promotions. The listings for these 3 plushes were the only ones taken down while all of the other banpresto listings for that month are still up

Paul seems to think that this means that banpresto has a summer lineup related to generation 8

So, if "pokemon A" turns out to be something new and not just a movie spoiler variation of mewtwo, then a Febuary reveal seems pretty likely at that point. If not, my optimism for a game reveal in feb goes down personally. If the april reveal is a new pokemon and not meltan, it'll probably be a mythical for the movie as Zeraora was revealed around april last year, and Marshadow they year before it.

My mind is personally thinking back to something Natedrake mentioned on twitter a while ago. Given the rumors that a switch revision is supposedly being announced and launching later this year, and that there may be a switch price cut, he mentioned that it would make since if pokemon gen 8 launched earlier than November to coincide with the price cut/revision launch, as there were plenty other games nintendo could use to fill the big holiday release role with (presumably what he was talking about hasn't been revealed yet, but it lines up with Emily saying that this year would be insanely packed with first party switch releases)

This lines up with Pixelpar mentioning that localization on gen 8 started earlier than usual. The two possibilities were 1. the game is bigger then usual, 2. the game is launching sooner than november this time.

If banpresto actually does have a summer lineup relating to gen 8 this time, then it would make sense that gen 8 would be released maybe around October like X/Y did.

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe, the team that made the movie just wanted to make a reference to a game in the series (and the detective Pikachu trailer was full of these little references) and weren't making a """"hint"""".

And then in Let's Go there's a hidden Revive in Silph Co., in front of a Spear Pillar picture. *smirk*

My other point is that even if this wasn't a direct count down to a new gen, indirectly it is because you wouldn't sit here spamming old gen facts and distracting us away from the new gen. So either way, until this thing is over we won't see any news of a new gen.

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1001484524876959744

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1001634986498248704

These were tweeted within hours of each other. Technically, yes, they'll have probably stopped the fun facts by the time of an announcement, since they won't be mixing fun facts in with details, but they don't seem to be too worried about fluff tweets distracting people from big announcements. (And if this is just about an "indirect countdown", why were you so mad when people said they didn't expect much to come from it?)

Also, even when he is an NPC, he doesn't say anything or react to anything. So he is still a blank slate.
He still reacts to things, with ! and ?.
And then in Let's Go there's a hidden Revive in Silph Co., in front of a Spear Pillar picture. *smirk*
Pretty sure Detective Pikachu and LGPE are made by different people.

Don't know...from what I've learned during all these years when they are teasing something we never understand it while when it looks like they are teasing something it always ends up being nothing. (Looking at you flying eeveelution)
I mean, I don't think the trivia posts are worth getting too excited, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on them either. XD It could be something, it could be nothing- I think it's just something to idly watch. Not like we've got much else coming from official channels-

Which, I believe that I have finished adding dates to my potential news date list- except I may technically have the Pokemon A listed twice in May? I'm not sure that I even have the Banpresto part right, because it's harder to catch details from Paul's videos.

Edit: I'm just gonna take that other May Pokemon A reveal out of the list for lack of clarity- we're gonna get a Pokemon A by that point anyway, judging by all of the other listings, so it's kind of extra one way or another.

Last edited:
I mean, I don't think the trivia posts are worth getting too excited, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on them either. XD It could be something, it could be nothing- I think it's just something to idly watch. Not like we've got much else coming from official channels-

Which, I believe that I have finished adding dates to my potential news date list- except I may technically have the Pokemon A listed twice in May? I'm not sure that I even have the Banpresto part right, because it's harder to catch details from Paul's videos.

Edit: I'm just gonna take that other May Pokemon A reveal out of the list for lack of clarity- we're gonna get a Pokemon A by that point anyway, judging by all of the other listings, so it's kind of extra one way or another.

I apologise for any confusion. The list from my latest video 'New Scans deleted' has everything underlined until I can post more for June period.

-"new pokemon" secret is a small figurine set for late march. This could potentially be Meltan but that chance is less likely now since Meltan's already been shown on leaked Takara Tomy product scans

If the day to day Pokemon presentation on twitter turns out to be of the starters in sequence (which it may not): if it doesn't include Raichu or the Eeveelutions it would be concluding on March 21 (If including Pikachu and Eevee themselves) or March 19. :) :)

Let's do some speculating...

Pokemon A has two possibilities:
1.) Its a new mewtwo form/variant
2.) Its a gen 8 Pokemon

The best thing to do is find out which is the most reasonable. So let's explore the first option--the new Mewtwo form--first.

From an outside perspective, Mewtwo already has many different forms in its X and Y evolutions. If you include the fact that its design is based off of/is similar to Mew, that's a lot of unique form/designs. So it seems very unlikely if you think about it that way.

But there is more. If they were to introduce a new Mewtwo form, how would they do it? Mewteo goes into its mega evolution through holding an item and certain circumstances. How would it go into this other form? It is my assumption they would want to retain mega X and Y mewtwo forms as relevant/useable, so a new form likely wouldn't overshadow them...

So keeping that in mind, there's not much way you could introduce a new form (since it has to have equivalent or less power than its mega & it has to be a method outside of held item's most likely) outside of like a different regional form like Alolans, but keep in mind the lore around Mewtwo: it was **created**. So regional forms don't make much sense either. I also assume the plot will mostly follow the old script, so it would be hard to include another mewtwo character or something without drastic altercation...

So that leaves option 2: a Gen 8 Pokemon. Giving a Gen 8 pokemon a spot in an highly anticipated movie is a good idea from a marketing perspective, since it could help boost advertising for the next game. We've also had new Pokemon hinted through anime and movies and even the games before, such as Togepi Maril Bonsly Lucario (and maybe Manaphy?) off the top of my head.

So my guess is that this Pokemon A might actually be a Gen 8 Pokemon based off of this thinking...

I would prefer if they do a Gen VIII Pokémon, but I kinda doubt it. If the Mewtwo movie ends up being a 1:1 remake or pretty close to one, which I think it's possible, I thought two possibilities:

a) It will debut through a Pikachu short, maybe one to replace the Marill/Snubbull one.
b) Give the new Pokémon to the New Island trainers or Donphan guy since I don't think they will get the spotlight off of Mewtwo.

There's also the third alternative of it being "Mewtwo in a cape/armor", but I think it's more of a self-defense mechanism I have just in case I end up underwhelmed by whatever it will be.

Is it sad that I've been following along for every page since the creation of the thread (I literally have kept the same tab open on my web browser on my phone and just refresh the page every couple hours every day) but haven't much interest in getting involved in these long debates that everyone has every day. I read them. But I just have no actual interest in adding to it.

It's because we need information. We need a trailer. We need a silhouette. We need SOMETHING. Something tangible. Something that we can use to set tired old speculations that keep coming up to rest. We're almost 1300 pages in without any actual Gen VIII information to talk about. But that's not our fault.

Gamefreak needs to show something. I really hope they do by the end of the month or at least within the first week of February. The news drought and the stillness that is LGPE is toxic to this community, akin to what you see on 4chan any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom