• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true, but as I said, of all existing fire-type Pokémon, I can only see 3 concepts that could be starters and that would not fit in any way in the Chinese Zodiac (Salandit line, Slugma line and Torkoal/Turtonator. Maybe Litleo too (it's a feline tho). Anything else that could be a starter, would also fit the Chinese Zodiac in some way. Don't you think this can be just a coincidence, just like the starters can be? The Zodiac fit many species and families. Or was Game Freak also inspiring a majority part of the fire type dex in the Zodiac purposely?
I do see what you mean there, but I feel like that depends on what we consider as something that could be a starter. (The Magby and Numel lines seems like they'd work fine to me as starters, and I don't think they have any connection? Heatmor could, too, if it had a prevo) I'm personally seeing a split about halfway-eight concepts that do fit the zodiac (Vulpix, Growlithe, Rapidash, Pansear, Darmanitan, Litleo, Fletchling, and Houndoor), and seven that don't (Litwick, Salandit, Slugma, Numel, Torkoal/Turtonator, Magby, and Larvesta) It's still worth bringing up that so many fit, of course, but I feel like it's easier to believe something's a coincidence when half of the group doesn't fit the pattern rather than when only one doesn't fit.

I do see what you mean there, but I feel like that depends on what we consider as something that could be a starter. (The Magby and Numel lines seems like they'd work fine to me as starters, and I don't think they have any connection? Heatmor could, too, if it had a prevo) I'm personally seeing a split about halfway-eight concepts that do fit the zodiac (Vulpix, Growlithe, Rapidash, Pansear, Darmanitan, Litleo, Fletchling, and Houndoor), and seven that don't (Litwick, Salandit, Slugma, Numel, Torkoal/Turtonator, Magby, and Larvesta) It's still worth bringing up that so many fit, of course, but I feel like it's easier to believe something's a coincidence when half of the group doesn't fit the pattern rather than when only one doesn't fit.

I think Magby could not be a starter because it's based on many different concepts (it's not based on a very well-known animal as starters usually are). But I think you're right about Numel and Heatmor (I had forgotten about them).

I meant, we have so many fire types based on animals that could fit the Zodiac, and an even larger portion of the ones that would be good starters (thus excluding Magby, Litwick and Larvesta). That's a considerable amount. Those 7 you mentioned could be the starters, actually. And while I still find it much harder to associate a lion with a tiger, or a hawk with a cock, than to associate a fox with a dog, or Cyndaquil with a mouse, I have to admit that some things still make me doubt that they are relying on the Zodiac. I think the Zodiac covers too many species and families, and that's why all the fire starters can coincidentally fit into it so far, somehow.

But it is just my opinion on it, as you said, we can not prove whether it is real or not, yet. I would not care if it was real, but at the same time, personally I think that Fennekin has already broke it.

Edit - Sorry, I had read "I do not see what you mean there..."

Last edited:
I am not convinced the fire starters are entirely based off the zodiac on purpose. The animals are way common enough to be accidents imo -- there is a possibility that we are shoehorning this theory here.

Also, if no one told me about the zodiac thing and asked me if Fennekin resembled a dog at all, I would have scoffed at them. People who say it is a dog are hard reaching at straws to be honest...

I dont want to say it cant resemble or have any connection to a dog or whatever, but it certainly isn't obvious from its design that it's supposed to share traits with a dog imo.

Okay, I'm just going to throw a question out there. If Litten had evolved into a cheetah instead of a tiger would people say it still fits because cheetahs and tigers are both felines?

At this point I think the most accepted form of the zodiac theory is this:

The animals of the Chinese zodiac tend to be a
loose inspiration for the fire starter ever since the series’ duration of 21 years.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with this definition of the theory.

You’d have to argue that it’s an incredible coincidence if 7 generations of fire starters just happen to be connected to the zodiac just because.

And to those counting Honoguma: was it finalised as a starter? No. It doesn’t count then.

And was it really argued that Incinceroar and Blaziken may not count due to their humanoid-ness?
Will the person be willing to argue that Tsareena does not count as a Pokemon inspired by fruits and plants because it’s humanoid? Or that Decidueye doesn’t count as an owl because it’s humanoid?

If the starter evolutions are released before the game comes out, I'm really not sure whether to have a look at them or not.

Considering this is meant to be a new, console experience for Pokemon fans, I'm wondering whether I should try a different play-style and go into the game not knowing anything about the new Pokemon and their evolutions. Exploring a completely unique region and having no idea what Pokemon you are about to encounter sounds a lot more exciting. It would be more motivating for me to catch them all, and find out what they evolve into. I don't think I've had a Pokemon evolve and be unaware of what they will become, and what type(s) they will change into. It must feel more special this way.

The only problem I can think of though, is how would I know if a Pokemon has an evolution. I don't know how I would feel about training a Pokemon to evolve, yet having no clue if/when it will evolve (Would the Pokedex blanks tell me?).

Having researched starters and their evolutions in the past, I don't know if I could handle not knowing their evolutions. I'm not one who just randomly picks a starter in 5 seconds based on which 'looks most cool' at the time, but instead I spend a good amount of time comparing the three and their evolutions online, before choosing the one that relates to me the most.

I'm worried if picking a starter with no research will end up ruining the experience for me - if I end up preferring another starter more, or if I'm not a big fan of my starter's final evolution.

Has anyone played a Pokemon game without knowing anything about the new Pokemon, or only knowing about the starters?

Last edited:
At this point I think the most accepted form of the zodiac theory is this:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with this definition of the theory.

You’d have to argue that it’s an incredible coincidence if 7 generations of fire starters just happen to be connected to the zodiac just because.

And to those counting Honoguma: was it finalised as a starter? No. It doesn’t count then.

And was it really argued that Incinceroar and Blaziken may not count due to their humanoid-ness?
Will the person be willing to argue that Tsareena does not count as a Pokemon inspired by fruits and plants because it’s humanoid? Or that Decidueye doesn’t count as an owl because it’s humanoid?
I feel that Charizard and Cyndaquil are most certainly coincidence (which is why you have to practically squint to make Cyndaquil fit the theme) and that Honoguma is only relevant as proof that the theme was not intended at that time. As for the starters since Gen 2, we have no definitive proof one way or another, which is why I won't bother to argue against the theory... even though I don't like it.

If the starter evolutions are released before the game comes out, I'm really not sure whether to have a look at them or not.

Considering this is meant to be a new, console experience for (experienced) Pokemon fans, I'm wondering whether I should try a different play-style and go into the game not knowing anything about the new Pokemon and their evolutions. Exploring a completely unique region and having no idea what Pokemon you are about to encounter sounds a lot more exciting. It would be more motivating for me to catch them all, and find out what they evolve into. I don't think I've had a Pokemon evolve and be unaware of what they will become, and what type(s) they will change into. It must feel a lot more special and alive this way.

The only problem I can think of though, is how would I know if a Pokemon has an evolution. I don't know how I would feel about training a Pokemon to evolve, yet having no clue if/when it will evolve (Would the Pokedex blanks tell me?).

Having researched starters and their evolutions in the past, I don't know if I could handle not knowing their evolutions. I'm not one who just randomly picks a starter based on what 'looks cool' at the time, but instead I spend a good amount of time comparing the three and their evolutions online, before choosing the one that relates to me the most.

I'm worried if picking a starter with no research will end up ruining the experience for me - if I end up preferring another starter more, or if I'm not a big fan of my starter's final evolution.

Has anyone played a Pokemon game without knowing anything about the new Pokemon, or the starters's only?
If you want to experience Gen 8 unspoiled, you might wanna decide soon and duck out of this thread before they show up here. XD

As for not knowing evos- it shows you how many stages a pokemon has when they're registered, so I think you would be fine there.

feel that Charizard and Cyndaquil are most certainly coincidence (which is why you have to practically squint to make Cyndaquil fit the theme) and that Honoguma is only relevant as proof that the theme was not intended at that time. As for the starters since Gen 2, we have no definitive proof one way or another, which is why I won't bother to argue against the theory... even though I don't like it.

Yeah, I agree those were uncertain times, after all Pokemon 2 was once planned to be the last Pokemon game.

I prefer playing a new generation blind, but I stick around until the first gameplay trailer to get a general idea like the starters, box legendaries and what the region is based on. I also like seeing the initial theories and speculation after the first gameplay trailer drops.

After that I try to avoid news... though, sadly, these days it's becoming harder to do so since people like to throw spoilers around for attention and clickbait. I can't just not use the internet for months. I avoid places like Tumblr, but I'll eventually need to look something up on YouTube for example. :( I got spoiled about the Alolan forms, but thankfully I avoided the existence of the UBs.

Last edited:
Foxes are literally cuter and fluffier dogs xd
And fennec foxes are some of the cutest foxes. I was so heckin amped when I saw Fennekin for the first time let me tell you.

I used to worry about spoiling myself with the previews and leaks leading up to the game release but at this point... I just really like seeing stuff to get hyped on.

Okay, I'm just going to throw a question out there. If Litten had evolved into a cheetah instead of a tiger would people say it still fits because cheetahs and tigers are both felines?
I think it'd depend on the person? Personally, I wouldn't say it fit, because two Pokemon only fitting in because of relation would be odd. (especially when they were the two newest, and with a tiger being a much more specific category than a dog)

This is the day where we discover which Pokemon after Blastoise will be tweeted about, if it's Chikorita, then it may be used as a countdown, if it is Caterpie or Pikachu, then the countdown doesn't exist.

Has anyone played a Pokemon game without knowing anything about the new Pokemon, or the starters's only?
Not since DP came out and even then I remember seeing Dialga, Palkia and a few more way before I got the games. And I got them on release day. April 22, 2007. I remember the day because its 5 days after my birthday and I waited to get my birthday gift.

My friend Gabriel has a lot of the same feelings that you brought up. He isn't a member of any forums, and doesn't look things up online. He wants to remain spoiler free until the games come out this year. To be fair, he has a lot going on this year and a bunch of other games from other publishers that he plans on playing like KH3 and Animal Crossing.

I, on the other hand, want to know exactly who i'll be running into in the game. And I wanna know them all now. Hahaha. I'm a completionist and very OCD so knowing there are more pokemon to be revealed is nerve wracking. Haha I just wanna see all the new members of the Pokedex.

I don't. I want to plan my team out.

I simply refuse to waste my time on a Pokémon that won't be useful throughout the game. (Think of something that gets knocked out by just looking at it, or just is unable to do anything well, doesn't learn a proper good STAB move until the game is pretty much over.)

knowing the starters and their evolution (mostly just the final) is an absolute must for me. (I mean I am with the starter pokemon the whole game. I want to make sure its one I like.)
I prefer to know what pokemon are in a game because I don't want to accidentally "miss" it when i could have gotten it earlier in the game. I also like to plan my team but I dont always plan.
its just about your preference and what you like.
I have a friend who often only wants to know the starters box legendaries and map. nothing else.
sometimes she allows her self to watch official trailers but sometimes she doesn't.

I like to try and plan out my team so I can have different types, but I'm tempted to try not to for gen 8 to get the feel of not knowing back. I hope they don't reveal all of the Pokemon like they did for SM though, I liked the reveals at the time - until I played the game and there were very few new pokemon left to discover.
I always go for the fire-type starter, so I'm really hoping that it evolves well.. my least favourite evolution lines were Tepig's, Fennekin's, and kind of Litten's (which was a shame because I loved Fennekin, Litten, and Torracat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom