• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Pokémon LGPE broke 10 million in sales, really surprised me despite the heavy criticism at the start.

This should showcase how big Gen 8 should be this year !

In regards to these sale numbers. Have we considered that maybe LGPE were actually really good games and people just went in with a negative opinion?

I played them and honestly I just thought they were really solid Pokemon games. I have my issues with them don't get me wrong. But I've had my issues with every Pokemon game that's come out ever, and that hasn't stopped me from enjoying them.

Also I don't buy that no effort went into LGPE. These games are somehow more balanced then most Pokemon games I've played and that's after they completely changed the capturing system.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's arguing that LGPE are poorly done, just that a game that removed so many Pokemon and features while returning to a region for the fifth time with no changes (to the region, I mean) shouldn't have cost 20$ more than past games. (though I think this should probably be brought to the LGPE thread now...)

In regards to these sale numbers. Have we considered that maybe LGPE were actually really good games and people just went in with a negative opinion?

I played them and honestly I just thought they were really solid Pokemon games. I have my issues with them don't get me wrong. But I've had my issues with every Pokemon game that's come out ever, and that hasn't stopped me from enjoying them.

Also I don't buy that no effort went into LGPE. These games are somehow more balanced then most Pokemon games I've played and that's after they completely changed the capturing system.
LGPE reused dialogue and region design and restricted the game to 153 Pokémon, so there kind of was a significant lack of effort involved, and they have officially stated that they were intentionally designed to be short and quick to finish. For a $50+ game, that is legitimately not worth the money.

I think there were just a lot of system limitations that kept the 3DS games from being as expansive as previous generations. That said, Kalos and Alola look amazing as regions. I think they spent a lot of time designing the regions.

So why do those limitations still exist in LGPE? Those games don’t have the excuse of being on the 3DS. That implies that it’s Game Freak, not the 3DS, that’s holding the games back.

All of the games have been successful. Don't blame LGPE.

That’s what’s concerning though. All of the games being ridiculously successful regardless of quality doesn’t bode well. But again, it’s not LGPE. It’s the fans buying them.

It's great to see Let's Go doing so well. I think it's really positive for the franchise.

For those who are concerned that the success of a 'less-quality, less-deserving, less-difficult game' means that Game Freak will now become lazy and not provide as much effort in developing future instalments, and instead will gain high sales just by providing a simplified experience like Let's Go - I don't think that's the case at all.

While Let's Go's sales are great, we can't deny that it was definitely helped by being the first console Pokemon game, and obviously the nostalgia of Kanto. I think the success of the game is a good indicator that the company is going to make future Let's Go games. It's created a new niche for the franchise, allowing them to focus on a more simple target audience.

They can now focus on adding a lot more complex, interesting gameplay to the 'main' games of the series, whilst focusing on providing a more user-friendly experience with the Let's Go series.

Too Long - Didn't Read (TL-DR): I believe the success of Let's Go isn't a negative for future Pokemon games in terms of becoming more simplified. Instead, it's opened up two separate series, the Let's Go games and the Main Gen games, allowing Game Freak to target two separate audiences (players who are more relaxed and players who want more complex stuff). This has made it easier for them to satisfy both in two different types of games, rather than trying to fill both their needs in one type of game.

The problem with that mindset is that if a business sees that one branch is making more money at a lower cost, they’l usually steer away from the other one. So while they may be saying that now, they could easily decide somewhere down the line that it’s not worth making quality games anymore if they can cheap out and still sell as well.

I have. But then I remember how much was cut from this game and how much they kept the same from the originals and think “Nah”.

I agree with you. Like I said earlier, if they wanna do 'low effort stuff and go easy' (I'm not saying they have) they can - in the Let's Go games.

But not with the main games
. We want to see a lot more stuff (enhanced/improved) in these games =)

And I think having these two different types of games will make it easier for them to satisfy the needs of both people (those who don't mind a simple experience, and those who miss the gameplay of the old games).
I'm hoping that they will divide it like that- as much as they want their fan base to come together, LGPE's content is just a waste of money. =/ We can't keep following the mobile mindset in the core series games.

You're right tbh. But if they did end up having every game like Let's Go, even if it's beneficial for them at first, the long-term consequences won't be. Well I don't think they would anyway. I'm guessing people would just boycott the games and then it would be a negative?
I don't think enough people would boycott for them to notice. =/

LGPE reused dialogue and region design and restricted the game to 153 Pokémon, so there kind of was a significant lack of effort involved, and they have officially stated that they were intentionally designed to be short and quick to finish. For a $50+ game, that is legitimately not worth the money.

I'll preface this by saying that I 100% agree it's not worth the asking price: To be fair, It's supposed to be an easily digestible game targeted towards a crowd where only having the original 151 is part of the appeal.

It doubles as a trip down memory lane for the older, lapsed players, and as an extremely easy segway into the franchise for younger fans and casuals. A lot of these people complain about the the sheer amount of pokemon, mechanics, and features that have been added onto the games over the years, so a stripped back version makes sense. It isn't a lack of effort, just a design choice. The actual visuals of the game are pretty fantastic, so even though it is the same region layout, they've prettied things up quite nicely.

I know people hate hearing the "it's not for you" argument, and I'd even say I don't fall into the target crowd for LGPE, but even though gamefreak has said "we want everyone to enjoy these", the games were clearly intended to appeal to people outside of the core fanbase. I think their existence will be healthy for the franchise in the long run. It'll only ever become an issue if the Let's Go somes somehow end up outselling the traditional core titles, which imo is very very unlikely. This is also why I feel like people shouldn't worry about gen 8 due to LGPE.

Yeah I'm not going to quote anyone in particular because I don't want to start an argument about LGPE. I don't really have an interest in arguing about the actual content of the game with anyone who hasn't actually played the game. I'm not saying that makes your opinion invalid, you have every right to not spend money on things you don't like.

But what I was talking about is the numbers of games sold, 10 million is not a insignificant number, and I see a lot of people on here saying or implying that people bought the game because they are dumb and don't know how to make good financial decisions, or because it's Pokémon, so of course it did well because Pokémon is magic and is guaranteed strong sales (this isn't true and never will be people have said that about a lot of things that have gone belly up or are in danger of it). These are the thoughts and ideas that I'm pushing back against, 10 million units sold means that a lot of people did think the game was worth it's price tag, becomes if they didn't they wouldn't have bought it.

And that's not even bringing up the fact that in pure economic terms a game like LGPE should actually be closer to a $100 price tag because games are not sold for what they are actually worth economically. But that's a whole other bugaboo.

Yeah I'm not going to quote anyone in particular because I don't want to start an argument about LGPE. I don't really have an interest in arguing about the actual content of the game with anyone who hasn't actually played the game. I'm not saying that makes your opinion invalid, you have every right to not spend money on things you don't like.

But what I was talking about is the numbers of games sold, 10 million is not a insignificant number, and I see a lot of people on here saying or implying that people bought the game because they are dumb and don't know how to make good financial decisions, or because it's Pokémon, so of course it did well because Pokémon is magic and is guaranteed strong sales (this isn't true and never will be people have said that about a lot of things that have gone belly up or are in danger of it). These are the thoughts and ideas that I'm pushing back against, 10 million units sold means that a lot of people did think the game was worth it's price tag, becomes if they didn't they wouldn't have bought it.

And that's not even bringing up the fact that in pure economic terms a game like LGPE should actually be closer to a $100 price tag because games are not sold for what they are actually worth economically. But that's a whole other bugaboo.
Yeah as much as we complain about masudas mindset the sales tell a different story. What if he does know what hes doing. If this wasn't what fans wanted sales would have been in decline since xy.

or because it's Pokémon, so of course it did well because Pokémon is magic and is guaranteed strong sales (this isn't true and never will be people have said that about a lot of things that have gone belly up or are in danger of it).
Brand recognition is a strong factor in many consumers purchasing decisions. Something with a strong brand attached to it is far more likely to succeed than to fail.

Of course not literally everything with “Pokemon” is going to set the world on fire. But you can’t deny that the name alone drives a lot of interest.

What has changed in the two recent generations except for a thinner endgame and no Battle Frontier-mechanic? Besides the atrocious Sun/Moon tutorial.

Something that screams "casualization", that is.

Personally I feel like just saying "the games have gotten worse" is an extremely shallow way of looking at the newer games, one easily brought on by railroading ones train of thought into strictly looking at the games with a negative approach

the first installments in every generation have never really been post-game heavy, so criticizing sun/moon, and x/y for that is kinda odd if you're gonna give the older games a free pass on the same thing

Gen 7 takes the story-centric approach from gen 5 and pushes it further. The presentation of the games are much better, the games took risks and broke formulas that fans had been asking for for years (alternate dimension pokemon, removal of gyms which totally changed the structure of how the games progressed?), gave us some of the most memorable, marketable designs we've gotten in years (pokemon like Rowlet, bewear, mimikyu, rockruff, etc are going to be remembered for a long time to come) , gave us legitimately good writing (wont go into too much detail, but Hau has a pretty clear character arc that's handled well and his character has a lot more depth behind it than you can say for a majority of the rivals we've gotten)

Even USUM has loads of post game content that people just dismiss because "it's not battle frontier". Wormhole legendary hunting is actually pretty substantive content and definitely adds a lot of hours into a save file, and the games even added things to the main campaign (side quests mainly) compared to sun/moon that people ignore for whatever reason.

X/Y perhaps was underwhelming due to sheer amount of hype surrounding them, but at their core they aren't much better or worse content wise than every first pair to a generation.

I feel like there's so much dissent around the newer games and gamefreak and general, when in reality sure, they're designed a bit differently, and the mobile mindset has been harmful but that doesn't inherently make them worse. The games are worse sure, if you just completely disregard all of the changes made and positive things gamefreak has done and choose to look only at the bad

edit: I didn't want this post to make it seem like I thought it was completely invalid to think the newer games are worse than the older games. I just wanted to express my take on the common dissent and disdain a large part of the fanbase feels towards the newer games and gamefreak

Last edited:
I think the problem has never been the console. I mean, clearly you cannot run a game like BOTW on a 3ds but the lack of content is not related to the console. GF introduces new feature just to abandon them in, like, 3 years (if lucky), I could make an endless list of them. They remade 20 years old games barely adding something new but also removing many others things. Customization was not in oras because it was not in the orginal game but the battle frontier was left out because people have no time to play games. Mega evolution was a freaking cool feature but they gave it to pokemon that didn't deserve one and abandoned it in 2014. Let's go games got rid of everything (abilities, items, 650 pokemon etc.) but reused the same plot and region of yellow, adding basically nothing.
Now, let's be honest, they made some great games, but in the last 6 years all the game they released felt somehow rushed, with less content and easier. The 3ds was not that strong but the problem imo is that GF changed the vision of how to create games they had in the past. It may be possible that people spend less time playing games nowdays but instead of creating games that catch the attention of the players and keep them in front of the console, they just made easier games that require less time and attention.

The $100 number is a bit of an exaggeration I didn't really mean for anyone to latch onto that point. But here's my source:

View: https://youtu.be/VhWGQCzAtl8

This video is talking about games that sell lootboxes, microtransactions, season passes etc... not literally all games. And LGPE has none of the things the youtuber mentioned soo

They definetely shouldn’t cost anywhere near 100$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom