• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we all just live in a bubble and the things we complain about aren't on the average Poke-gamer's radar.

Maybe the average Poke-gamer is depriving themselves and the rest of the fanbase of a much better game by not paying attention to those things.

Yeah I'm not going to quote anyone in particular because I don't want to start an argument about LGPE. I don't really have an interest in arguing about the actual content of the game with anyone who hasn't actually played the game. I'm not saying that makes your opinion invalid, you have every right to not spend money on things you don't like.

But what I was talking about is the numbers of games sold, 10 million is not a insignificant number, and I see a lot of people on here saying or implying that people bought the game because they are dumb and don't know how to make good financial decisions, or because it's Pokémon, so of course it did well because Pokémon is magic and is guaranteed strong sales (this isn't true and never will be people have said that about a lot of things that have gone belly up or are in danger of it). These are the thoughts and ideas that I'm pushing back against, 10 million units sold means that a lot of people did think the game was worth it's price tag, becomes if they didn't they wouldn't have bought it.

And that's not even bringing up the fact that in pure economic terms a game like LGPE should actually be closer to a $100 price tag because games are not sold for what they are actually worth economically. But that's a whole other bugaboo.

Just because 10 million people thought it was worth the price tag doesn't mean they're right. If 10 million people bought a pizza for $100 when everyone else is selling pizza for $10, would that be considered a good financial decision? Of course not. Majority rule isn't the only factor in whether or not a product is good value. Relative value to other products must be considered as well, and when compared to other Switch games or even previous Pokemon games LGPE falls far short. The issue is that the majority opinion isn't following those other factors and that's why it's considered a bad financial decision.

Oh, was browsing Joe's twitter and saw him refer to something Masuda said in an interview about LGPE-
“These games aren’t spin-offs. These are core Pokemon titles. As for whether we would make other games that could connect to Pokemon GO, that will depend on how the games are received. If we hear a lot of people saying that they enjoyed being able to bring Pokemon to these games from Pokemon GO, then we’ll think about maybe having future titles also be able to connect to it.”

Considering the timing of Let's Go's release and the development of Gen 8, either they would have had to have rushed putting in a GO-to-Gen 8 transfer system or we're definitely not getting such a mechanic in the first Gen 8 titles. =/ Guess I'll have to find something else to do with my Chikoritas.

Wasn't really holding my breath for it anyway, they needed something unique to LGPE to push sales.

Oh, I hope they managed to do it for Gen 8. Iirc, SM already had "Pokémon GO" as a possible origin for a Pokémon (there was also a distinctive "origin mark" as well).
People usually tend to forget the GO ⇒ Let's go connectivity and it is one of the game's best parts. That interactive environment is something I swear I don't wanna lose on future titles. It has a ton of potential, especially considering you'll probably be able to transfer all Pokémon, not only Kanto ones.

I'm kinda thinking that Pokemon should do more pokemon like Meltan- not design, but how you obtain it. Imagine if every Pokemon spin-off gave you an exclusive pokemon for doing something in the game? =P On one hand, people would probably be super annoyed at being forced to play a game they don't like in order to get a pokemon, but on the other hand- fun new ways to get pokemon and good cross-marketing.

I also know I'd be one of those people hating it to a degree because urgh games I don't wanna play- no fair. But I also appreciate the idea of Pokemon being a more integrated experience.

And I guess trading is still a thing anyway, so when all else fails... would probably encourage more trading even...

Just my little vote here for a more integrated 8th generation of pokemon spin-offs.

Last edited:
Nintendo just had their Financial Briefing a bit ago, and Pokemon was briefly mentioned with a full detailed report posted:

View: https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1091155815627517952

It seems they want synergy of Let's Go with the 2019 titles, which sounds similar to what TPCi said with GO attracting players to get SM when they released.
Too add, they are making a Toyko Nintendo Store, I wonder if they will add in a Pokemon Center, though they might not if Tokyo has one already.
Anyways, if any more details pop up regarding Pokemon, I'll try to update here. Cheers!

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention that they did say they intend to have no delays. Not sure if they said that because of the Metroid delay, but in all, it bodes well that Pokemon Gen 8 is still going for 2019 if all said it done (and hopefully stop those nay-sayers.

Nintendo just had their Financial Briefing a bit ago, and Pokemon was briefly mentioned with a full detailed report posted:

View: https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1091155815627517952

It seems they want synergy of Let's Go with the 2019 titles, which sounds similar to what TPCi said with GO attracting players to get SM when they released.
Too add, they are making a Toyko Nintendo Store, I wonder if they will add in a Pokemon Center, though they might not if Tokyo has one already.
Anyways, if any more details pop up regarding Pokemon, I'll try to update here. Cheers!

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention that they did say they intend to have no delays. Not sure if they said that because of the Metroid delay, but in all, it bodes well that Pokemon Gen 8 is still going for 2019 if all said it done (and hopefully stop those nay-sayers.

Not too surprising in all, I think we knew from the beginning that Let's Go was intended as a bridge into the series.

I'm kinda thinking that Pokemon should do more pokemon like Meltan- not design, but how you obtain it. Imagine if every Pokemon spin-off gave you an exclusive pokemon for doing something in the game? =P On one hand, people would probably be super annoyed at being forced to play a game they don't like in order to get a pokemon, but on the other hand- fun new ways to get pokemon and good cross-marketing.

Meltan isn't the first to do this. We also had Manaphy. I love the Ranger games, so for me it wasn't that big a deal, but I don't know how many Pokemon they should do this with, especially since spinoffs all seem to be moving to Mobile. And before Manaphy, I think Jirachi was pretty much exclusive to Colosseum. (and neither situation was ideal because they required extra consoles and peripherals.) Maybe with the Switch it could be different.

I really don't want any features that require having a mobile device, though. I don't have a phone that could play GO and even if I did, the game just doesn't appeal to me at all. I can't even remember to play Magikarp Jump on a timely basis. It's just something I pull out whenever I'm stuck somewhere and extremely bored like having Tetris on my calculator in High School. I worry about this with Animal Crossing too (with Pocket Camp and all) and life in general. It seems like everything expects me to have Smart phone and I'm sick of it. Ugh, sorry. Rant over (it's nothing against smart phones, I just perfer dedicated devices that do one task; it's almost borderline an OCD thing to the point that I wish I had a dedicated word processor device to write on).

Meltan isn't the first to do this. We also had Manaphy. I love the Ranger games, so for me it wasn't that big a deal, but I don't know how many Pokemon they should do this with, especially since spinoffs all seem to be moving to Mobile. And before Manaphy, I think Jirachi was pretty much exclusive to Colosseum. (and neither situation was ideal because they required extra consoles and peripherals.) Maybe with the Switch it could be different.

I really don't want any features that require having a mobile device, though. I don't have a phone that could play GO and even if I did, the game just doesn't appeal to me at all. I can't even remember to play Magikarp Jump on a timely basis. It's just something I pull out whenever I'm stuck somewhere and extremely bored like having Tetris on my calculator in High School. I worry about this with Animal Crossing too (with Pocket Camp and all) and life in general. It seems like everything expects me to have Smart phone and I'm sick of it. Ugh, sorry. Rant over (it's nothing against smart phones, I just perfer dedicated devices that do one task; it's almost borderline an OCD thing to the point that I wish I had a dedicated word processor device to write on).
Well, at least with mobile spin-offs, they're generally freemium games, so people wouldn't have to pay to get anything that way. D= I don't know what to say to your smartphone OCD, though. XD

I'm mildly entertained trying to think of what a Shuffle-inspired pokemon would look like- Quest would probably give us a block creature. And both those games are available on non-smartphone devices, too, so there's that plus to either of those games. Though who knows what'll happen to Shuffle when 3DS support ends.

That's way too late to announce a new gen. The only way I can see the games be announced that late is if they aren't actually Gen 8.

Maybe Gen 4 remakes? Idk - I still
slightly off topic but I got bored and ended up looking at the old speculation thread from 2016, the reactions and excitement when we had the direct announced for pokemon day were so fun to look at again, there was just insane levels of excitement, and that excitement tripled when the sun/moon trademarks were leaked the night before.

We'll be there soon and it's fun to think about. Hopefully once that happens there'll be less conflict, arguements, etc as we'll finally have something to collectively get hyped about
What month were Sun and Moon announced in?

I know I totally hate mobile games. I love Pokemon and it upsets me with the whole pokemon go craze that I couldn't take part because playing on my phone is so impractical for me.

Well, at least with mobile spin-offs, they're generally freemium games, so people wouldn't have to pay to get anything that way. D= I don't know what to say to your smartphone OCD, though. XD

I'm mildly entertained trying to think of what a Shuffle-inspired pokemon would look like- Quest would probably give us a block creature. And both those games are available on non-smartphone devices, too, so there's that plus to either of those games. Though who knows what'll happen to Shuffle when 3DS support ends.
It's going to be a sad day when 3DS support ends. :(

I just wanna know something. We do know from a hack that pokemon quest has the pokemon numbers up to 808 right? And LGPE has 809 for melmetal so do you think when they update pokemon quest we could have the numbers for gen 8?

I just wanna know something. We do know from a hack that pokemon quest has the pokemon numbers up to 808 right? And LGPE has 809 for melmetal so do you think when they update pokemon quest we could have the numbers for gen 8?
Wait what? Did someone hack the code to pokemon quest to see the numbers only and not the pokemon names?

It only had up to 808, though... and they have yet to implement Meltan. If it was meant to be Meltan, it should have gone up to 809. =/ Is that game even still receiving updates?

That's true. I know people complain about Mew and the Pokeball plus for good reasons, but it makes me think about the Colosseum bonus disc and then I laugh. I guess as long as they are mythicals that aren't required for pokedex completion and its only for games that co-release on Switch, it could serve a a physical trophy for playing a side game or doing well in it. However, I also don't like idea of filling up dex numbers with a bunch of mythcials, so I think cosmetic rewards of some kind would be better (like the poster in ORAS for having a pokemon from the original RSE games)

This is a bit off topic, but I wish Pokemon Duel would get a console release. It looks somewhat interesting.

That's true. I know people complain about Mew and the Pokeball plus for good reasons, but it makes me think about the Colosseum bonus disc and then I laugh. I guess as long as they are mythicals that aren't required for pokedex completion and its only for games that co-release on Switch, it could serve a a physical trophy for playing a side game or doing well in it. However, I also don't like idea of filling up dex numbers with a bunch of mythcials, so I think cosmetic rewards of some kind would be better (like the poster in ORAS for having a pokemon from the original RSE games)

This is a bit off topic, but I wish Pokemon Duel would get a console release. It looks somewhat interesting.
Oh yeah, not too crazy about getting a ton of mythicals filling up the dex... though if I had to pick between them or a bunch of in-game legendaries, I'd probably go with the mythicals. XD

Do we even get that many spin-offs in a generation? Maybe some spin-offs could give pokemon and some could give cosmetic items... like Shuffle would probably offer a better cosmetic than a pokemon design.

Do we even get that many spin-offs in a generation? Maybe some spin-offs could give pokemon and some could give cosmetic items... like Shuffle would probably offer a better cosmetic than a pokemon design.

I feel like we usually get quite a few. Gen 7 was abnormally low. Let's take gen 6 for example. We got:

1. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
  2. Pokemon Rumble World
  3. Pokemon Trozei
  4. Pokemon Shuffle
  5. Pokemon Art Academy
  6. Pokemon Picross
  7. Detective Pikachu
  8. Pokken Tournament
  9. Pokemon Duel
In gen 7, we got four if you count Pokeland (which never got a full release) and if you don't count re-releases. 3 of those four are mobile exclusive: GO, Magikarp Jump, Pokeland, and Quest.

Gens 4 and 5 each had about 6 (not counting the Japan exclusive ones that came with weird peripherals).

Edit: Had Pokken Tournament twice; doh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom