• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why people are thinking we getting anything that day ? was there any hint ?
It's because Mewtwo's Birthday and the 810th day of Gen 7 both land on this day. Meltan was revealed on the 808th day of Pokemon Go.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. Thing is the lack of additional features doesn’t bother me as much because I never made much use of them even when they were available. I happen to be one of those people who “doesn’t have time for video games” Masuda keeps talking about.

Then in that case what you should be pushing for is a cheaper price for existing content. We have mobile games that give us about the same content for free that Game Freak is giving us for $40-$60 and there's other games that are $40-$60 that are offering much more content. It's not simply about the content, it's about the relationship between price and content. There's definitely room in the market for a lower end game with less content for an audience that doesn't want as much out of a Pokemon game, but that audience also isn't the best target audience for a full priced retail console game. The issue is that people are expecting the price to match the content, you should get premium content for a premium price and a lesser price for lesser content. Unfortunately they're not really doing this, we're getting lesser content for a premium price and that's being seen as poor value.

And regardless of your stance on the amount of content a Pokemon game should have, you should care about this. Even if you're okay with spending a higher price on a lower valued game, if you pay a lower price for it, then you have more money to spend on something else that you want and you could get more out of your money (for instance, maybe you would then have enough money to buy another game or special food or whatever else you might be thinking about buying). This is related to a concept in Economics 101 called opportunity cost where the cost of a decision isn't just the absolute money that you're spending, but how much money you're spending relative to other decisions you could be making. So the objectively smartest way to use your money is to look for games that give you the maximum content and features that you want for the lowest price. Businesses use this logic all of the time to stay competitive and maximize their profits, consumers should really employ this logic on the flip side to maximize what they're getting.

tl;dr Regardless of your opinion about the content and features being offered, there should be no excuse for you to put up with Game Freak giving you a low value game, especially when compared to the rest of the market. A smart consumer looking to maximize their own happiness should care about how much they're getting for what price because the money they save can always go towards something else they want.

Another little thought- Eternal Flower Floette is apparently still in the game data in Gen 7, but Cosplay Pikachu's data was removed.

Kinda makes me wonder about that GameFreak being in southern France thing.

Also really hoping that they keep Dusk Lycanroc in Gen 8. Let's not keep ditching special forms in past generations, please. >=/ Poor Spiky-Eared Pichu. I can understand why Cosplay Pikachu got left behind, but may Spiky-Eared Pichu make a return in Gen 8 and get to stay for future generations.

Last edited:
Wasn’t originally there a poison eevee in the prototype game of Gold and Silver initially ?
Yup, it was Umbreon. It didn't get the Dark-Type (and a slight redesign) til later. It evolved from Eevee with the scrapped Poison Stone, just like Espeon used the Heart Stone. Judging by one of Gen II's Pokédex entries, they didn't even alter them after the change, which is why it mentions that Umbreon has poison sweat.

Mabye try to predict when the pokemon direct will happen
I'm predicting Feb 5th

I would bet on May 7th or May 9th, for the first trailer (I think we may have a teaser before that, but I don't think it will show up on a Pokémon Direct).

Do we know what art position James Turner would have with Gen 8 ? Hearing he got promoted to a higher spot within gamefreak. I know this is taboo however Im thinking, hypothetically, if the region itself is United Kingdom / London or whatever, Turner having lived in that area for most of his life and him being in a higher Gamefreak position within art, what better person to draw from for inspiration.

I wonder if he got much say within design in Gens 5-7 or if he followed a specific brief set by Gamefreak.

We know he was promoted to an "Art Director on the Pokémon series". But we don't know yet whether he will be the eighth-generation director or the director of another game.

Considering what we can see of Gen 2's development, it's pretty clear that Espeon and Umbreon were not originally intended to show off any new feature (except two type stones that got scrapped). They were switched later to tie in with the day/night mechanic, at which point Dark may have made more sense to them than Poison and no effort was made to alter Umbreon's design.

Seeing the beta sprite of some other Pokémon, like Murkrow, I think the Dark type didn't even exist at that time? And well, it makes sense to Umbreon to be a poison type, because it is said in Dex that it expels venom of its body. So I think we can catalog it as a "cheater/trickster pokémon", and that's from where the Dark type must have come from.

So thinking about, I don't think its sprite should have changed so much. Maybe, if it was a poison type, they could have switched his black color parts to purple.

Edit - Searching a little more, it seems that the Dark type existed at the time of the Demo. But I still think Umbreon fits both types well.

Oh...that's nothing. We woke up with that in mind like every day till May last year.

That's true. But not everyone was waiting for the eighth generation to be released that year.

It's because Mewtwo's Birthday and the 810th day of Gen 7 both land on this day. Meltan was revealed on the 808th day of Pokemon Go.

And if anyone hasn't noticed yet, Meltan's national dex number is 808, and Melmetal's is 809.

Last edited:
strictly from a speculative standpoint, I could see them doing another region not quite like France, but close by or similar geographically (Spain, Italy, etc)

We know that Sugimori went through an artists block when designing pokemon for X/Y, and given that X/Y are the only games in the series to not receive a follow up of some kind (whether it be through sequels, third version) I could easily believe that maybe they just weren't that happy with their work in that generation and decided to move on. Maybe gen 8 will be them taking another crack at a setting in that style.

This is getting into tinfoil-hat theory, but if we were to assume that Town is in the same engine that gen 8 is using, or started out as a tech demo in an engine they would end up using in gen 8, the background assets (mountains, trees, even the ground) do seem very Mediterranean-esque to me. It could mean nothing but it wouldn't surprise me if those assets were reused from gen 8 games, and so maybe the region would be closer aesthetically to Kalos than say, Alola. That would tie the southern france research trip together with Eternal Flower Floette still being in the game data.

Another little thought- Eternal Flower Floette is apparently still in the game data in Gen 7, but Cosplay Pikachu's data was removed.

Kinda makes me wonder about that GameFreak being in southern France thing.

Oh wow, I completely forgot Eternal Floette was in Gen 7. That is kind of interesting that GF was in Southern France area. I remember seeing a theory video about visiting Southern Kalos (or just a Southern France region) in a future game like years ago.

This is getting into tinfoil-hat theory, but if we were to assume that Town is in the same engine that gen 8 is using,
I don’t see why they would use Town’s engine instead of just sticking with SM’s.

I’m also not really sure what you mean by a game with “similar style”. Italian and Spanish culture are quite a bit different than France’s.

Last edited:
I don’t see why they would use Town’s engine instead of just sticking with SM’s.

I’m also not really sure what you mean by a game with “similar style”. Italian and Spanish culture are quite a bit different than France’s.

haven't all generations on new hardware been built in new engines? I always figured that and personally towns overworld is a lot more what I expect visually out of gen 8 than s/m's

and by similar style I just meant that they're geographically close to each other and share ancient roots. Maybe "similar style" wasn't the best choice of words, as you're right, their individual cultures have developed to be quite different, but I definitely get vaguely similar vibes when comparing architecture

Seeing the beta sprite of some other Pokémon, like Murkrow, I think the Dark type didn't even exist at that time? And well, it makes sense to Umbreon to be a poison type, because it is said in Dex that it expels venom of its body. So I think we can catalog it as a "cheater/trickster pokémon", and that's from where the Dark type must have come from.

So thinking about, I don't think its sprite should have changed so much. Maybe, if it was a poison type, they could have switched his black color parts to purple.
Actually Murkrow was already Dark/Flying at that point, and there were a few other Dark-types, like Girafarig was originally Dark/Normal and Sneasel was also already Dark-type. There was also a Dark-type cat line that was sadly scrapped.

But yeah, I don't think that Umbreon's design needed to change much. Even if it was a last-minute type change, poison Umbreon was already black with red eyes, so they may have looked at it and just decided that it could work as a Dark-type and that would add more Dark-types to the roster, since the type was new and quite lacking.

Kind of a shame, though, because I'm sure that the glowing rings on Umbreon's body were a reference to the blue-ringed octopus (and its shiny form may have been made blue for just this reason) so now that the design was made into Dark... they'd have to find some other way to represent poison if they ever release a poison-type eeveelution for real, and that first reference was a pretty good one. But ah well, surely they could think of something. Use a poison dart frog pattern, maybe.

Last edited:
Actually Murkrow was already Dark/Flying at that point, and there were a few other Dark-types, like Girafarig was originally Dark/Normal and Sneasel was also already Dark-type. There was also a Dark-type cat line that was sadly scrapped.

Yeah, I didn't know (I didn't look for the details about this demo yet). I had just researched minutes ago, and had just edited the post at the same time you were quoting me. :enzap:

But yeah, I don't think that Umbreon's design needed to change much. Even if it was a last-minute type change, poison Umbreon was already black with red eyes, so they may have looked at it and just decided that it could work as a Dark-type and that would add more Dark-types to the roster, since the type was new and quite lacking.

Kind of a shame, though, because I'm sure that the glowing rings on Umbreon's body were a reference to the blue-ringed octopus (and its shiny form may have been made blue for just this reason) so now that the design was made into Dark... they'd have to find some other way to represent poison if they ever release a poison-type eeveelution for real, and that first reference was a pretty good one. But ah well, surely they could think of something.

But yeah, I agree Umbreon fits both types well. About the octopus reference, good thinking! I had not realized that.

Last edited:
Here are the Dark-Type Pokémon in the demo:

Twinz, Girafarig's scrapped pre-evo.

Beta Girafarig.

Rinrin and Bellrun, scrapped cats.

Murkrow.

And Sneasel.

While Umbreon, Houndour and Houndoom are in the demo, they are not Dark-Type yet (Umbreon was Poison, while the Houndour line was pure Fire).

The more I ponder on it, the more I wonder if a return to France isn't likely- we've got the research trip in southern France, we've got Eternal Flower Floette still hanging around in the game data (could just be an oversight), and we've got that Monpoke trademark still unrevealed... which looks like it could be more of Pokemon's clever wordplay using the "-mon" as the french word for "my." My poke? The successor to Pokemon Bank?

On the possibility of the next region being inspired by Southern France. I think it can happen, but it's unlikely to have been premeditated since XY as some people think, because:

1. From what we can see by interviews, the Director of the games chooses the place where the region will be inspired from by the themes and the names of the versions, that he also chooses himself previously. They probably were not even thinking about the themes and the names of the next games at the time of XY yet.
  2. Masuda was the Director of XY. Shigeru will probably be the director of the next games, not Masuda.
  3. If they were planning to make another region inspired by France posteriorly, to continue the Kalos' lore, why put Zygarde and his new forms in Sun and Moon, instead of holding them for this new region?
  4. It has been said in some interview that the anime, somehow, would "close" Kalos lore.

So, I think the next region can be inspired by Southern France. But I don't think the absence of the XY's third version has anything to do with it. Even if it happens, I don't think it would be something planned from the beginning.

I personally still believe they were there solely for the cave paintings, not for the region itself.

There's also the fact that Floette's signature move is still in the game. Which means that we are getting Eternal Floette somehow or they are going to assign that move to someone else, possibly via an event.

EDIT: @Myth I think that they put Zygarde's formes in Gen VII because they got cut for some reason in Gen VI, but were re-added to the games because the anime decided to use them. Doesn't help that the reason they are in Alola sounds like a hand-wave.

and we've got that Monpoke trademark still unrevealed... which looks like it could be more of Pokemon's clever wordplay using the "-mon" as the french word for "my." My poke? The successor to Pokemon Bank?
I’ve seen people speculate that it’ll be a successor for Pokémon Bank, but it’ll also be available as an App for Phones and the like, because said people pointed out Monpoké could mean Monster Pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom