• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying i believe it but keep in mind , both USUM and LGPE both leaked on 4chan

Valid point, I remember vividly when the starters were leaked:

edfc39e278946ea36289a531f347ed7340ba9847_hq.jpg

So while there may be legitimate stuff, there's also some really dodgy leaks out there, so of course discretion should be emphasized when it comes to trusting which leaks are legit and which ones arent. :x

The spoiler underneath has the text I think.

edit Uhh, I thought wrong, I guess? Which page is the post on?

I think this was it

> Following Pokemon and overworld Pokemon.
HMs are still replaced by pokerides.
New field moves to aid with exploration.
Not open world but largest region yet.
Two antagonist teams with version differences.
Real major antagonist is not a member of any team.
Box legends only appear in post-game.
New iteration of Gyms with unique challenges.
Runes can be used to customize abilities.
Pokemon Circus, includes games, local and online.
Pokeball Plus and Go connectivity.
Reveal later this month

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread implies that "Wonder" is the codename for the games like Rainbow/Beluga were for S/M & LGPE
No? The only mention of it being a codename is one person saying "oh wonder could be a cool codename, like these codenames were". That's not the OP suggesting it, it's someone speculating. (Plus, the title includes "Pokemon" with it, as if it were a game title, not a codename, which doesn't include "Pokemon")

Thanks, @Red Inferno !

Okay, my thoughts are in bold.

Following Pokemon and overworld Pokemon.
Hopefully we get those, that way we can avoid all the Zubats before entering battles. Following Pokémon are also nice.

HMs are still replaced by pokerides.
I don't anyone miss those...

New field moves to aid with exploration.
Do you mean older moves that until now were not used, or entirely new moves?

Not open world but largest region yet.
Kinda expected.

Two antagonist teams with version differences.
Hopefully, it will be done better than Aqua/Magma.

Real major antagonist is not a member of any team.
I'm curious if they could pull something like that.

Box legends only appear in post-game.
Do you mean like Emerald?

New iteration of Gyms with unique challenges.
That... doesn't sound that different from what they already do.

Runes can be used to customize abilities.
Wait, does this mean something like the Ability Capsule, or you are able to add secondary properties to abilities?

Pokemon Circus, includes games, local and online.
Well, it can't be worse than Festival Plaza...

Pokeball Plus and Go connectivity.
This is possible.

Reveal later this month.
We'll see...

With the exception of the runes and post-game mascots I don't see anything weird here. At least it's better than Marble, which was so outlandish that it was easy to dismiss.

Given the amount of complaints Gen 6 gyms got and with many modern gyms having replica designs to other gyms, I can understand they would want to reinvent gyms in some way. Hopefully we get the return of some real innovative puzzles. I think Gen 3 and 4 did the best with their gym design.

So if there is one thing I think everyone would agree with that we are most curious about in Gen 8, I think that has to be the music they will use. Since Gen 6 I think they used some synth style music in the OST (at least in Gen's 6 and 7) and while they are OK, I didn't really find most of them memorable aside from a select few. However recently I heard that Game Freak upped the quality of music and used some real orchestrated music for the themes in Let's Go.
Going by that, and it may sound greedy, but I really want a fully orchestrated OST for Pokemon Gen 8. Strings, winds, the works, a wonderful orchestra. Judging by the last few games Nintendo released, they seem to be heavily promoting the music of the titles, and while I know Nintendo EAD are separate from Game Freak and the Pokemon Co., I can't help but want Pokemon to make one ultimate master piece opening to their games, something that will entrance myself and others, and ready us all for an adventure. One example and basically a (unrealistic) wish is for an opening OR even theme in the vein of this (which equally has me listen to it on loop since I first heard it):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_uJJyWJ_E

(and yes, this is also a way for me to gush about my other favorite video game series of all time, Kingdom Hearts, and its menu theme for Kingdom Hearts 3)

TL;DR: I REALLY REALLY want an captivating, orchestrated, OST similar to Kingdom Hearts, or at least leaves me with all forms of emotions, even when I am about to start my journey. Anyways, Cheers everyone!

That 'rune-system' sounds interesting. Never saw something like that in rumours before.

Quite a plausible leak, in my opinion. We'll see.

I mean, we’ve had items that extend evolution (Mega Stones) and items that allow a fifth move (Zenith Crystals), items that alter abilities doesn’t sound too Farfetch’d.

That’s not to say it’s real, simply that that point isn’t too outlandish.

I highly doubt there will be a rune system that overrides or modifies Pokemon Abilities. It would be very difficult to personalize it for each individual Pokemon (plus we already have Ability Capsules), and making it more generic/same application would make it bad/not as good (abilities are a unique kind of concept, it isnt a generic applicable thing like z move).

Basically: abilities are supposed to be part of a Pokemon identity, so using runes to make them similar to other rune abilities is probably wrong, and I somehow doubt GF would put in the effort to individualize with runes all several hundred Pokemon.

Also Pokemon Circus sounds interesting, but it seems too odd dontchathink? I feel like the circus thing would have to tie in with the region itself --- based off places we spectulated, would a circus make sense?

The rest of their claims are pretty generic and safe. Even the code name is generic. I'm calling fake on this one.

That's just my hunch tho

Last edited:
No? The only mention of it being a codename is one person saying "oh wonder could be a cool codename, like these codenames were". That's not the OP suggesting it, it's someone speculating. (Plus, the title includes "Pokemon" with it, as if it were a game title, not a codename, which doesn't include "Pokemon")

Should have stated that the thread speculated, but its not improbable if said leaker didn't want to reveal the box titles for whatever reason.

Also Pokemon Circus sounds interesting, but it seems too odd dontchathink? I feel like the circus thing would have to tie in with the region itself --- based off places we spectulated, would a circus make sense?

Not to divert the thread towards this topic again, but the modern circus is a reinvention of the Roman one via the country of, you guessed it: Surrey Theatre - Wikipedia

As for Runes, I'd honestly welcome something like that over Megas or Z-moves. If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like a different take/expansion on Gen 5's DW abilities. Brand new abilities (or mixing?) of your choice for Pokemon rather than just switching between two known/hidden ones. I'd imagine limits, of course, possibly based on species, but then again its not like this requires entire redesigns (megas) or even new animations. (Z-moves)

Last edited:
For me mythicals have become just trophy pokemon in the recent years and their relevance has become less and less. Gen 6 at least let the 3 mythicals have their backstories in the form of reports. But gen 7 just blantly made them giveaways without any proper backstory or lore to them the worst one is zeraora with having less significant and no uniqueness to it unlike it's fellow lore-less mythical pokemon marshadow who has a z-move and unique typing. Then enter meltan and melmetal a straight out promotion for pokemon go that they didn't even bother to give it a standout design(dont get me wrong I think both designs are nice but just average and doesnt screams mythical).

I just hope Gen 8 brings the magic of Gen 4 in terms of bringing importance to mythical pokemon.

So if there is one thing I think everyone would agree with that we are most curious about in Gen 8, I think that has to be the music they will use. Since Gen 6 I think they used some synth style music in the OST (at least in Gen's 6 and 7) and while they are OK, I didn't really find most of them memorable aside from a select few. However recently I heard that Game Freak upped the quality of music and used some real orchestrated music for the themes in Let's Go.
Going by that, and it may sound greedy, but I really want a fully orchestrated OST for Pokemon Gen 8. Strings, winds, the works, a wonderful orchestra. Judging by the last few games Nintendo released, they seem to be heavily promoting the music of the titles, and while I know Nintendo EAD are separate from Game Freak and the Pokemon Co., I can't help but want Pokemon to make one ultimate master piece opening to their games, something that will entrance myself and others, and ready us all for an adventure. One example and basically a (unrealistic) wish is for an opening OR even theme in the vein of this (which equally has me listen to it on loop since I first heard it):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_uJJyWJ_E

(and yes, this is also a way for me to gush about my other favorite video game series of all time, Kingdom Hearts, and its menu theme for Kingdom Hearts 3)

TL;DR: I REALLY REALLY want an captivating, orchestrated, OST similar to Kingdom Hearts, or at least leaves me with all forms of emotions, even when I am about to start my journey. Anyways, Cheers everyone!

Haha, I'd figure music to be one of the far lesser curiosities of Gen 8, to be honest. XD

Totally not faulting you for wondering, though, SM had some pretty awesome tunes- Team Skull's impressed me in particular so if the new evil team don't compare, points off there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom