• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two figurines being released for it later this month, though. I mean yeah, it's way early for a new form and definitely doesn't need one, but those two figures concern me because they couldn't be representing anything like a Z-move or stat boost. And boy do we really not need another new form mechanic when we've got Mega Evolution and Regional Variants waiting for more attention.
Yeah but you know...merchandise consider mewtwo wearing sunglasses like a new form so It could be Mewtwo with, let's say, a ring that allows it to change its ability once per battle.

I'd honestly be fine with "armored" Mewtwo (Psychic/Steel?) if that were ever done, but anything past that is just ridiculous. Of course, with megas you'd have to wonder the point of even the armored state, but I'd just consider it a special novelty akin to Pikachu's cosplays.

Hopefully no forme, I'd rather Genesect receives its fossil state instead.

Soooo anyone else starting to feel concerned that Mewtwo definitely seems to be getting a new form...? Because we seem to be double whammy this month for Mewtwo-related figurines.

I'm still not 100% thinking it'll be a new form but it is becoming more and more suspect to me that he'll play an important role in the lead up to gen 8

I agree that a late feb/pokemon day reveal is suspicious, especially when we have a new generation on the horizon and didn't get anything notable on pokemon day last year

What main theme do you think they have chosen for the games? Right now we have:

• Pokemon and Trainers (maybe) r/b/y
  • ? (The best I can think is mythology) g/s/c
  • Forces of nature (r/s/e)
  • Creation (d/p/pt)
  • Yin/Yang (b/w/2)
  • Life energy (x/y)
  • Light and darkness (s/m/us/um)

• Creation (d/p/pt)
  • Yin/Yang (b/w/2)
  • Life energy (x/y)
I hope technology or simplicity and complexity

• Creation (d/p/pt)
  • Yin/Yang (b/w/2)
  • Life energy (x/y)

All of them are based off mythology in some kind or another, but I think Gen 2 stands out for its rich tradition. pays homage to its Japanese roots closely.

You could argue that Gen 1 had a heavy scientific / mutation and genetics label, Mewtwo, Eevee, Fossils, ditto, grimer / muk all the man made and mineral mons and so on

• Creation (d/p/pt)
  • Yin/Yang (b/w/2)
  • Life energy (x/y)

Gen 1 = genetic

• Creation (d/p/pt)
  • Yin/Yang (b/w/2)
  • Life energy (x/y)
Gen 1 = Science and genetics.
Gen 2 was actually legends and culture
Gen 3 = Nature and habitats
Gen 4 = Mythology and history (including creation)
Gen 5 = Dreams and reality
Gen 6 = Life&Death/Fashion
Gen 7 ... Not sure but I would say trainer-pokemon bonds?

Gen 8 should be War&Peace/Hate&Love and I don't know why they haven't done it already. Too mature for the kids or what?

Gen 8 should be War&Peace/Hate&Love and I don't know why they haven't done it already. Too mature for the kids or what?
I could pass on gen 1 and 4 but 5 and 7 are definitively not dreams and pokemon-trainers bonds. Gen 5 was all about equal and opposite feelings, black and white, yin and yang and the main theme of gen 7 is light, sun, moon, light stolen etc. Also I would say gen 6 is more of life energy in particular, az took the life energy from pokemon, yveltal sucks that energy and xerneas gives it, the ultimate weapon was made with the life energy of pokemon...

Last edited:

Honestly, if it is in fact going to be a UK region, I wouldn't be surprised if the question of cultural identity is the main theme of Gen 8. While I doubt they'll directly reference Brexit as such, I wouldn't be surprised if the sort of issues that led to it, such as immigration & racism, end up being a major part of the story - similar to how Team Flare's storyline delved into the issues of overpopulation & dwindling resources.

I would really like the idea of the Player Character being another "Third Culture Kid" like Elio / Selene who moves from another region (possibly Kalos?), and discovers firsthand the divides in the demographics between those who live and work in the increasingly cosmopolitan PokeLondon City, and those who live in the more rural towns in the region. And then we could maybe have the villain team be a radical movement of sorts who wants to maintain the region's history and it's royal culture and such.

That would actually fit in pretty well with the whole renewal theme hinted at awhile back.

• Creation (d/p/pt)
  • Yin/Yang (b/w/2)
  • Life energy (x/y)
I think tradition vs innovation. I thought Ishihara said something to that effect

the main theme of gen 7 is light, sun, moon, light stolen etc.
Either you haven't played SM or your memory of USUM is much better. There was no mention of light or darkness; the focus was on Lusamine's family and the Lillie-Nebby bond.

Either you haven't played SM or your memory of USUM is much better. There was no mention of light or darkness; the focus was on Lusamine's family and the Lillie-Nebby bond.
I have. The only real pokemon-trainer bond was the one between lilie and cosmog. I don't think this makes gen 7 based on that theme. That's a small theme under the major theme which is light. The main legends are made of light, the third legend is made of light, all the ultraspace is based on light years, Alola light was stolen, Megalopolis has no light, ultra recon squad members are pale cause there's no light were they live and so on...
I thought the theme for Kalos was beauty...? Or are we talking the legendaries? In that case, Sun and Moon's theme was... the sun and moon. XD Or day and night, considering the time difference between the versions.
Yeah beauty was also a theme for gen6, the theme GF had in mind while creating Kalos and its culture...but I was talking about the plot theme in particular.

Last edited:
all the ultraspace is based on light years
? Light years is a measure of distance, not anything actually dealing with light.
Alola light was stolen, Megalopolis has no light, ultra recon squad members are pale cause there's no light were they live and so on...
But that's all in the plot of USUM, not SuMo.

I have. The only real pokemon-trainer bond was the one between lilie and cosmog. I don't think this makes gen 7 based on that theme. That's a small theme under the major theme which is light. The main legends are made of light, the third legend is made of light, all the ultraspace is based on light years, Alola light was stolen, Megalopolis has no light, ultra recon squad members are pale cause there's no light were they live and so on...
You are forgetting Gladion and Type: Null, and in USUM, Hau and starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom