• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
? Light years is a measure of distance, not anything actually dealing with light.

But that's all in the plot of USUM, not SuMo.
What I meant is that light is everywhere, I know light years are an actual measure but it is used in gen 7 when light is the major theme even in sun and moon, cosmoen evolves when exposed to the light in the altar, rockruff evolves depending on the light of the day/night/twilight, z crystals come from Necrozma light, just because some things are explained in usum doesn't mean they don't belong to sun/moon too.

You are forgetting Gladion and Type: Null, and in USUM, Hau and starter.
So what about N and his pokemon and also Reshiram/Zekrom, Bianca and her pokemon, Wally and its ralts? That's always in pokemon, I don't think this gen has that theme more than any other pokemon game at the point that we can consider it the major theme of gen 7.

Hau and his starter? What about it?

Pokemon-trainer bond is actually the theme of let's go games.

Last edited:
To me, Gen. VII had this for its theme: Rebellion Against Tradition.

-Lillie and Gladion each were defying their family's wishes by hiding away Nebby.

-Hau kept having a conflict about follow the the footsteps of Hala, or go for his own passions.

-Team Skull was a result of going against the traditions of the Kahunas - and losing.

-The last three Kahunas were in very strange statuses, each not acting like very formal leaders, with their own quirks to deal with.

-The Ultra Beasts were designed to question and challenge what a Pokemon could be.

-The Pokemon League was a brand new thing in the region, defying traditions as well.

I'm not sure how USUM could fit here, but the original sun/moon really spoke this theme to me.

What I meant is that light is everywhere, I know light years are an actual measure but it is used in gen 7 when light is the major theme even in sun and moon, cosmoen evolves when exposed to the light in the altar, rockruff evolves depending on the light of the day/night/twilight, z crystals come from Necrozma light, just because some things are explained in usum doesn't mean they don't belong to sun/moon too.
No, but the plot of Ultra Megalopos doesn't happen in SuMo at all-it's not even confirmed to exist in that timeline. And even counting it, that's still only connections based on the cover legendaries, with the only exception being Rockruff. (which is an awkward link to make IMO-why is Rockruff the only common Pokemon tying to the theme?)

No, but the plot of Ultra Megalopos doesn't happen in SuMo at all-it's not even confirmed to exist in that timeline. And even counting it, that's still only connections based on the cover legendaries, with the only exception being Rockruff. (which is an awkward link to make IMO-why is Rockruff the only common Pokemon tying to the theme?)
Because Legends are strongly related to the main theme:

• Forces of nature, gen 3, Kyogre (water) and Groudon (ground/fire) and Rayquaza (air).
  • Mythology or creation or whatever, gen 4, Palkia (space) and Dialga (time) and Giratina (antimatter) and Arceus (god).
  • Yin/Yang, gen 5, Reshiram (white) Zekrom (black), two dragons part of the same thing with Kyurem being the shell
  • Energy of life, gen 6, Xerneas (life), Yvelta (death), Zyagrde (equilibrium)
  • Light, gen 7, Solgaleo (sun light), Lunala (moon light) necrozma (light)
What else in gen 3-4 suggested those themes if not the main plot with the legends? But those are obviously gen 3 and 4 themes. There's alway been attention to the bond between pokemon and trainers, always been rebellious characters, those are themes that go through a lot of pokemon games. What makes gen 7 different from the others is the attention to the theme of light, this is why, I think, the games are called sun and moon and not let's go cosmog and let's go type: null

Last edited:

So what about N and his pokemon and also Reshiram/Zekrom, Bianca and her pokemon, Wally and its ralts? That's always in pokemon, I don't think this gen has that theme more than any other pokemon game at the point that we can consider it the major theme of gen 7.

Hau and his starter? What about it?

Pokemon-trainer bond is actually the theme of let's go games.
Actually, I would say that pokemon-trainer interaction was a good focal point for Gen 7- there was more emphasis on the interaction with your starter when you obtained them in Sun and Moon, and they especially expanded upon that in Let's Go. I remember them making note of the starter interaction in Sun and Moon at E3, I think it was.

Actually, I would say that pokemon-trainer interaction was a good focal point for Gen 7- there was more emphasis on the interaction with your starter when you obtained them in Sun and Moon, and they especially expanded upon that in Let's Go. I remember them making note of the starter interaction in Sun and Moon at E3, I think it was.
Don't you think that's like...normal? Pokemon is based on that, every single pokemon game is based on that. Isn't it normal that with new games and new consoles they are just able to make the bond stronger? What I'm asking is why the relationship between Lilie and Cosmog should be considered different from the one that N had with his pokemon. Why Pokemon Amie is not an expression of that theme, why pokemon following you is not an expression of that theme. The bond between pokemon and trainer is the theme of Pokemon not of gen 7.

Last edited:
I always saw Gen VII has having a very strong theme involving nature and fauna. Not sure if that was the intention or if it’s supposed be the overarching theme, but it certainly looks to be present regardless:
Ride Pokémon = People and Pokémon working in harmony, kinda like how we domesticated individual members of a species for tasks, like with Elephants.
Regional Variants, Crabrawler→Crabominable, Oricorio, Yungoos & Gumshoos = Selective pressures and Introduced Species
Ultra Beasts = Invasive Species
SOS Battles = Interspecies cooperation (for the most part)
Necrozma→Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings→Ultra Necrozma = A Parasite that requires another life form to continue its life cycle, like a parasitic wasp. Necrozma = Wasp Mother or Larvae, Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings = The Larvae gaining nutrients from its host, Ultra Necrozma = The Wasp Larve, having gained enough nutrients from its host, transforms into an adult.
Not to mention the various Predator-Prey relationships and other interactions mentioned in the Pokédex.

But hey, maybe that’s just me.

I always saw Gen VII has having a very strong theme involving nature and fauna. Not sure if that was the intention or if it’s supposed be the overarching theme, but it certainly looks to be present regardless:
Ride Pokémon = People and Pokémon working in harmony, kinda like how we domesticated individual members of a species for tasks, like with Elephants.
Regional Variants, Crabrawler→Crabominable, Oricorio, Yungoos & Gumshoos = Selective pressures and Introduced Species
Ultra Beasts = Invasive Species
SOS Battles = Interspecies cooperation (for the most part)
Necrozma→Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings→Ultra Necrozma = A Parasite that requires another life form to continue its life cycle, like a parasitic wasp. Necrozma = Wasp Mother or Larvae, Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings = The Larvae gaining nutrients from its host, Ultra Necrozma = The Wasp Larve, having gained enough nutrients from its host, transforms into an adult.
Not to mention the various Predator-Prey relationships and other interactions mentioned in the Pokédex.

But hey, maybe that’s just me.
Clearly It could work too. It's not like there's just one theme in the games. As I said before I was talking about the main plot theme, never assumed that other themes are not there.

Just wanted to bring this back up for a bit, remember that Switch Mini rumor, and how many people assumed that its very likely due to Pokemon Gen 8, well DirectFeedGames (Nate Drake on ResetEra who also hosts the SpawnCast with Spawn Wave), tweeted his thoughts on the possibility, and stated Pokemon Gen 8 as one of the main reasons why a Switch Mini (or whatever it may be) is very possible:

View: https://twitter.com/DirectFeedGames/status/1092623091723890688

To add, Market Researcher (also a guest for Video Game Podcasts, as well as a rep for Namco Bandai at one point) Stealth40K chimed on on the topic of a Switch Mini, and how Pokemon Gen 8 will affect its sales and uses:

View: https://twitter.com/Stealth40k/status/1091676813036793856

Now I guess the only questions that remain are:
  1. What will the Switch Mini look like, and how will it function compared to the OG Switch model currently out, and all its peripherals?
  2. Will motion based gaming be affected in anyways?
  3. Will we get a special edition with Pokemon Gen 8? (I sure hope so, because I'd by it in a heart beat)
Anyways, sorry for another long post, but cheers everyone, and (soonish) Happy Tuesday!

What else in gen 3-4 suggested those themes if not the main plot with the legends? But those are obviously gen 3 and 4 themes.
If the only thing that suggests those themes is the legendaries, then maybe it's just the theme of the legendaries?

I'd argue Gen 3 was based far more around duality-that's why we had opposing villainous teams, the map being half land and half water, the introduction of double battles, and common Pokemon with counterparts, like Zangoose and Seviper, or Plusle and Minun.

There's alway been attention to the bond between pokemon and trainers, always been rebellious characters, those are themes that go through a lot of pokemon games. What makes gen 7 different from the others is the attention to the theme of light
There's plenty more that makes Gen 7 different, like the plot, locations, characters, and Pokemon. And I'd argue that this is the only plot where rebellious characters are the focus-the closest we get elsewhere is Silver, who doesn't get nearly as much attention in his rebellion as Hau and Lillie.

this is why, I think, the games are called sun and moon and not let's go cosmog and let's go type: null
So why are Ruby and Sapphire, games you claim are based around the forces of nature, not called Pokemon Sea and Land?

Just wanted to bring this back up for a bit, remember that Switch Mini rumor, and how many people assumed that its very likely due to Pokemon Gen 8, well DirectFeedGames (Nate Drake on ResetEra who also hosts the SpawnCast with Spawn Wave), tweeted his thoughts on the possibility, and stated Pokemon Gen 8 as one of the main reasons why a Switch Mini (or whatever it may be) is very possible:

To add, Market Researcher (also a guest for Video Game Podcasts, as well as a rep for Namco Bandai at one point) Stealth40K chimed on on the topic of a Switch Mini, and how Pokemon Gen 8 will affect its sales and uses:

1. What will the Switch Mini look like, and how will it function compared to the OG Switch model currently out, and all its peripherals?
  3. Will we get a special edition with Pokemon Gen 8? (I sure hope so, because I'd by it in a heart beat)
Anyways, sorry for another long post, but cheers everyone, and (soonish) Happy Tuesday!

I'm actually more interested into the opposite. How this mini switch development may have influenced the development of the games. I know they said gen 8 games would be more oriented to handheld gameplay, I just hope they didn't forget these are also the first actual home console games we have ever had.

If the only thing that suggests those themes is the legendaries, then maybe it's just the theme of the legendaries?

I'd argue Gen 3 was based far more around duality-that's why we had opposing villainous teams, the map being half land and half water, the introduction of double battles, and common Pokemon with counterparts, like Zangoose and Seviper, or Plusle and Minun.

There's plenty more that makes Gen 7 different, like the plot, locations, characters, and Pokemon. And I'd argue that this is the only plot where rebellious characters are the focus-the closest we get elsewhere is Silver, who doesn't get nearly as much attention in his rebellion as Hau and Lillie.

So why are Ruby and Sapphire, games you claim are based around the forces of nature, not called Pokemon Sea and Land?
Who's more rebellious than N? Who has a stronger bond with his pokemon than N? If duality if the main theme of gen 3 why the evil teams want to use the forces of natures to create worlds that are actually destroyed by them?
Anyway, listen, let's just agree to disagree. I don't want this to become the new Uk discussion. We need the tread.

Last edited:
I'm actually more interested into the opposite. How this mini switch development may have influenced the development of the games. I know they said gen 8 games would be more oriented to handheld gameplay, I just hope they didn't forgot these are also the first actual home console games we have ever had.

Who's more rebellious than N? Who has a stronger bond with his pokemon than N? If duality if the main theme of gen 3 why the evil teams want to use the forces of natures to create worlds that are actually destroyed by them?
Anyway, listen, let's just agree to disagree. I don't want this to become the new Uk discussion. We need the tread.
Considering how long Gen 8 has been in development, I'm sure the games are going to have been designed with the original Switch in mind.

Who's more rebellious than N?
Lillie and Gladion actually ran away from their mother's influence and fought against the Aether Foundation, while N took up the role of King of Team Plasma as instructed until the end of the plot, so...
Who has a stronger bond with his pokemon than N?
I'm not arguing bonding is the main theme?
If duality if the main theme of gen 3 why the evil teams want to use the forces of natures to create worlds that are actually destroyed by them?
I don't understand how two teams fighting against each other to accomplish opposing goals wouldn't connect to duality?
The UK discussion didn't shut down the thread because it went on for a while, it was shut down because it was getting people upset. There's nothing wrong with a longer conversation when people are being respectful.

Yeah this seems very likely

A lot of previous 3DS developers have publicly said they are moving future projects to the switch and there’s very very few new 3ds games planned for 2019 in Japan and even in the west. 3ds Games have been on the way out for a long while with huge price cuts and whatnot.

This is the most logical move even with insiders giving that hint and Nintendo saying they have no public comment on a switch mini at this stage.

Considering how long Gen 8 has been in development, I'm sure the games are going to have been designed with the original Switch in mind.
True, and at the end of the day, all I'm hoping for is Gen 8 has the Pro Controller support so I can use it to play on the TV (IDK why, I just love using the Pro Controller for most RPG games when I play on TV). But I do kinda want a Switch Mini to be possible/real if only because I think the concept may be interesting.

Also speaking of Gen 8, in Let's Go, we know the only method to obtain Melmetal was to get 400 Meltan candies. Do you guys think they will keep that restriction for Meltan/Melmetal, or will they introduce a new evolution method for Meltan and Melmetal in Gen 8?

Lillie and Gladion actually ran away from their mother's influence and fought against the Aether Foundation, while N took up the role of King of Team Plasma as instructed until the end of the plot, so...

I'm not arguing bonding is the main theme?

I don't understand how two teams fighting against each other to accomplish opposing goals wouldn't connect to duality?

The UK discussion didn't shut down the thread because it went on for a while, it was shut down because it was getting people upset. There's nothing wrong with a longer conversation when people are being respectful.
Ok then...
You seem to forget that Gethsis was N's father and used, manipulated and fighted him and while Lusamine was under the effect of Nihilego toxic, Gethsis was totally sane (if we could say so). And N was alone while Lilie and Gladion had the support of Kukui, the main character, Hau etc.
Duality maybe is a theme in gen 3, just not the main theme. Cause double battles were in all post gens, heatmor and durant were in gen 5, sableye and carbink in gen 6, corsola and mereanie in gen 7, half map being water is gen 7 too, aether and team skull always in gen 7. Is light a thing in any of the past gens?

You seem to forget that Gethsis was N's father and used, manipulated and fighted him and while Lusamine was under the effect of Nihilego toxic, Gethsis was totally sane (if we could say so). And N was alone while Lilie and Gladion had the support of Kukui, the main character, Hau etc.
I'm not saying N was being foolish, I'm just saying he didn't rebel against Ghetsis as early as Lillie and Gladion did against Lusamine. (and neither had that support when they first ran away) That's a fact.

Duality maybe is a theme in gen 3, just not the main theme. Cause double battles were in all post gens, heatmor and durant were in gen 5, sableye and carbink in gen 6, corsola and mereanie in gen 7, half map being water is gen 7 too, aether and team skull always in gen 7.
Those Pokemon are all in predator/prey relationships. Zangoose and Seviper are depicted as struggling equals, not predator/prey.

If reusing a theme means it doesn't count as the main theme, then the forces of nature can't be the theme, either, because it's also frequently used in Pokemon designs. (in fact, it's the name for the trio of Tornadus, Thunderous, and Landerous)
Is light a thing in any of the past gens?
Yes, absolutely.

• Darkrai and Cresselia have moonlight and the new moon as major parts of their design. Darkrai's signature
  • Ampharos's PokeDex category is the Light Pokemon, and a plot point in Johto involves healing it so it can power a lighthouse
  • Xerneas' dex entries talk about its horns shining, and Yvetal's talk about its wings glowing
  • Flash, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Light of Ruin, Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam are moves based around light (and some of these moves were based on the day/night mechanic when they were introduced in Gen 2)
  • Umbreon and Espeon are associated with the sun and moon, and their designs reference eclipses
  • Solrock and Lunatone are based on the sun and moon
  • Lumiose City has its name derived from terms relating to light in most languages, and Prism Tower is heavily based around light
  • Harsh sunlight's been a mechanic since Gen 3
  • Ho-Oh's feathers shine with the colors of the rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom