• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it plays Switch games, who cares? XP
Games like arms are meaningless. As I said, if you want to play pokemon it's just fine, you will simply lose the chance of a new type of gameplay. What I like about the switch is that I can lay on my bed, put the console on a support over the bed or on tv and play comfortable with the joycons in my hands.
A handheld console is a handheld console. The switch is another thing.
But even if people only play pokemon I find it weird that they decide to play the first console pokemon game as an only portable game. It would feel denaturalised somehow...Matter of tastes as I said

Games like arms are meaningless. As I said, if you want to play pokemon it's just fine, you will simply lose the chance of a new type of gameplay. What I like about the switch is that I can lay on my bed, put the console on a support over the bed or on tv and play comfortable with the joycons in my hands.
A handheld console is a handheld console. The switch is another thing.
But even if people only play pokemon I find it weird that they decide to play the first console pokemon game as an only portable game. It would feel denaturalised somehow...Matter of tastes as I said
Well, yeah- it's really a matter of affordability and preference, and whether you give a damn about it being the first on a console. I know someone who can't afford a Switch, hates its battery life, and does not give a damn about it being the first game on a console because they prefer a proper handheld. They are looking forward to a Mini Switch.

Me personally? I'm undecided which I'd prefer. I can't hook up to a TV so it depends on which size and features would be more convenient for me. As long as they can play the same games, though, I am pleased.

Alola’s the most sticking-to-tradition we’ve ever got. To the point that they maintained their traditional rite of passage instead of gyms and a league for such an extra ordinarily long time.

The legendaries are worshipped akin to gods, too.
I meant more of a breaking tradition for Gamefreak. Replacing gyms with trials, introduction of UB's and taking established traditional (Gen 1) pokemon and changing their design with Regional Variants.
So GF maintained tradition for years, in terms of gameplay. They defied tradition in Gen 7, and now just marry them to redefine themselves as a console AND handheld game. Least that's how I see it.

Alola’s the most sticking-to-tradition we’ve ever got. To the point that they maintained their traditional rite of passage instead of gyms and a league for such an extra ordinarily long time.

The legendaries are worshipped akin to gods, too.

I would have found it funny if there'd be someone who'd just unleash Z-Powers without the dance and everyone goes "YOU HERETIC! WHAT ARE YOU!?" just for bringing out the power of something they all thought could only be unlocked by a little dance passed on to each other.

XY and ORAS never used the 3D effect in the overworld, while SM and USUM didn't use it at all. And double battles were a mess even on the New 3DS as far as the Alola games were concerned.
Actually, X/Y used 3D in a few areas. The ones that come to my mind are the Reflection Cave, the Power Plant and the Team Flare HQ if I recall correctly.

Gen 7's theme is either invasion (UBs, the environment being filled with Pokemon from other regions, Team Skull & Aether not feeling natural to the region, Necrozma) or cultures blending together (Asian towns, the creation of a League, regional variants). An interview also mentioned that the influence that the sun & the moon have in our life is similar to the influence we have in other people, giving the example of the player character influencing Hau and Lillie to change. So we can tie everything as "the relationships between people, Pokemon and cultures".

Either way, defining it is not going to help anything as the only time a generation's theme was a foil to the previous generation was in Gen 1-2.

I don't really see why it matters what the theme of gen 7 is. Also I find it hilarious that everyone on this thread has given a different answer for what the theme if gen 7 is. You do all know that a work can have more then one theme right?

Anyways, its the 5th right now here in the US. Any word on an announcement on the 6th? Have we been keeping our ears to the ground for any titbits that might have surfaced?

Last edited:
Lilie and Gladion are just running away from home because they have family issues, N is inside a criminal organisation who secretly wants to control the world. It's not exactly the same.
Lillie and Gladion are stealing Pokemon that the Aether Foundation wants to use for a cause that could be disastrous for their region, it's hardly "just family issues".
I think N maybe needed more time to understand cause his situation was not so easy as Lilie and Gladion's and he was manipulated by his father, you know.
  1. Lusamine was manipulating her children, too. (It's a pretty major point that Lillie confronts her for treating her children like objects)
  2. That still doesn't mean that N was rebelling. I'm not saying he was being dumb or evil for obeying, but he was undeniably following what was asked of him. That's literally the opposite of rebelling.
  3. N didn't even figure out his situation until the player beat him, and that was because Ghetsis revealed himself. Finding out the truth because someone else told him isn't a sign of a rebellious spirit.
In the end Lilie and Gladion happily reunite with their mother like nothing ever happened, N disappears alone without a family.
No? Lusamine apologizes in USUM, and SuMo can hardly be considered a happy reunited. And N being alone isn't really an act of rebellion-nobody is telling him to be around other people. (And his being without a family is because Ghetsis was arrested, which, again, wasn't done by N)

You confuse day/night and sun/moon with light. Those are not about light itself
But just a few sentences after this, you say that the titles being Sun/Moon indicate light being a theme?
Darkrai and Cresselia are based on the the moon. They have nothing to do with light.
Cresselia, with almost all of its dex entries talking about how its tail shines like the moon, has nothing to do with moonlight?
The only real reference to light in all your points is the Lumiose one because it refers to a real fact, Paris was the heart of a movement that has light in is name. But it was not a reference to light actually. Those people were searching for the "light of reason" against the obscurantism of past centuries.
And because it was one of the first cities to use gaslights on a large scale.
  • The main legends are made of light and evolve when exposed to light, they also have light forms.
Agreed that the cover legendaries have strong ties to light, but they're not made of light, and they don't evolve based on it.
  • One of the legend is a prism, it is the creator of light, the one who gave and stole light from the worlds.
I agree that a prism that gives off light is a clear connection to light. What I don't understand is why you follow this logic for Necrozma, but you see Prism Tower as being totally unrelated.
  • Rockruff evolutions happen when it is exposed to a certain light.
No, Rockruff evolves depending on the time of day. You can evolve it indoors or in a cave, away from the light, and it will still evolve. (It's the same evolution method as Umbreon and Espeon, actually, but you said that didn't count because night and day aren't related to light)
  • Tha main plot of usum is to preserve the light in Alola.
  • There's a squad who tries to restore the light in its world. They are pale cause not exposed to light for a long time.
  • Alola light was stolen in the past, before usum, and people had to unite against darkness to bring back light.
These are all only in USUM. (and, frankly, are three points about the same thing) Shouldn't the theme of the games be involved in all of them?
These are all incredibly relevant things in the plots of gen 7.
Since when is evolving a Rockruff a major plot event? Or the titles and codename of the games?

It you want to ignore that light is a theme in gen 7 do it
I'm not saying it has no relevance, I'm saying that it's the theme of the legendaries, but not of the whole game. Most of the points that you make keep coming back to the Light trio-the plot elements of USUM, the legendaries, and the Z-Crystals-with the only exceptions being the Aether Foundation, the evolution of one Pokemon, and the measurements used in Ultra Space.
saying that light was a theme in gen 2 because ho-oh feathers shine and an electric type pokemon is used to power a lighthouse is a bit of a stretch.
So the codename (only used in development) being Rainbow is evidence towards light being a theme, but a cover legendary shining in the colors of the rainbow is a stretch? And a time-based evolution that's not part of the game's plot is evidence, but a required plot using the Light Pokemon to power a lighthouse is a stretch?

I'm not even arguing that light was the main theme, just that it was significantly used, to show that using a theme doesn't mean it can't be used again in a stronger way later.

If anything we would see something in about 3 hours since its 4am in Japan rn.

If they do make a Switch Mini, I don't want them to make it so that Gen 8 only works on the Switch Mini and can't be played at all on a normal Switch.

I can't see them doing that. The Switch is way too popular at this point for them to abandon all of the fans that have already purchased it.

I still don't think there's been enough smoke at all to expect a significant news drop this week. I'm still rooting for the week of Pokemon day, and I'm even more hopeful since we're likely to get movie news this month anyways (unless that's in March this year since we got the first trailer in Jan instead of December

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom