• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I'm torn, Sun/Moon were better than Black/White, but then Black2 and White2 were infinitely better than USUM!
And if you include LGPE as Gen 7 which I'm not sure about, then for me personally, Gen 7 would have the dubious title of first gen to have remakes not as good as previous versions (ie FRLG are vastly superior to LGPE in my opinion)

I'm not sure there is any real fair way to say which generation did the best or worst unless you use raw sales as data or being awarded prestigious awards in that respective generation or sales feats.

I personally have enjoyed every generation with the positives and negatives they have showcased.

Of course there's not a scientific way, it's subjective and opinion based, and if someone thinks Gen 5 was the best Gen ever and has yet to be topped, that's a perfectly fine and legitimate opinion, but it's fair to say that opinion would most likely be in a small minority.

Personally I'm torn, Sun/Moon were better than Black/White, but then Black2 and White2 were infinitely better than USUM!
And if you include LGPE as Gen 7 which I'm not sure about, then for me personally, Gen 7 would have the dubious title of first gen to have remakes not as good as previous versions (ie FRLG are vastly superior to LGPE in my opinion)
XD Well we only have three generations of remakes to compare it to, and one was a remake of the same exact region.

Of course there's not a scientific way, it's subjective and opinion based, and if someone thinks Gen 5 was the best Gen ever and has yet to be topped, that's a perfectly fine and legitimate opinion, but it's fair to say that opinion would be in the minority.
Eh, not really in the current times. The older a generation gets, the more love from the fans it will get overtime, the same thing happened to Hoenn when Pokemon began nearing its 5th Gen.

XD Well we only have three generations of remakes to compare it to, and one was a remake of the same exact region.

What I mean is, in my opinion, FRLG were better than RBY, HGSS were better than GSC, ORAS were better than RSE but then LGPE were not better than FRLG, again just my opinion.
Of course you could argue although FRLG were the previous main Kanto installment, LGPE are closer to being remakes of Yellow in which case I would concede LGPE are better than Yellow.

Actually you know what, the more I think on it, I withdraw my previous statement, Gen 5 isn't the worst, it was Gen 7 because USUM and LGPE are both unforgivable whereas B2W2 had many redeeming qualities, again just my opinion.

Of course there's not a scientific way, it's subjective and opinion based, and if someone thinks Gen 5 was the best Gen ever and has yet to be topped, that's a perfectly fine and legitimate opinion, but it's fair to say that opinion would most likely be in a small minority.

Exactly right. One persons opinion or view, doesn't invalidate yours nor should it impact yours.
Too right friend !

My first comment on the topic was
Gen 5 is deemed by many as the weakest generation. If you ran a poll of favourite generations, Gen 5 would likely come last.
Of course its all opinions, there are Gen 5 fans out there, the poster at the top of this page for example, but they are probably the smallest of the 7 groups

That seems like a very subjective statement to me. I've been in the fanbase for quite a while, so as someone who remembers quite vividly the vitriol against Gen 3 even during the time of Gen 5, I just don't agree with your assessment. USUM had some negative reviews even in (link-> Japan)& X & Y were seen as being devoid of actual content in favor for mega evolutions. Gen 6 was even seen as being a step back from Gen 5, another sentiment I remember during the time due to the region feeling "unfinished." Perhaps cut content & a better story that should have materialized in Z.

Yes, opinion is subjective, but I have a problem with people treating such as fact when I clearly remember otherwise. I'm glad people stopped hating on Gen 3, but it's disingenuous that people suddenly forget how much the fanbase crapped all over something just to move on to doing the same unjustifiably to something else.

Keep in mind,Zell never said the direct on the 13th ISN'T a pokemon direct

Upon revisiting the Pokemon Direct reveals of X & Y , and Sun and Moon , i would say that the overall format definitely feels like something that could happen this month!

Thankfully though, where both are sort of a trailer within the wrapping paper of a streamlined look back at the technical and creative history of Pokemon; there could certainly be a trailer hiding at the end, or in the middle, of a Nintendo Direct!

Upon revisiting the Pokemon Direct reveals of X & Y , and Sun and Moon , i would say that the overall format definitely feels like something that could happen this month!

Thankfully though, where both are sort of a trailer within the wrapping paper of a streamlined look back at the technical and creative history of Pokemon; there could certainly be a trailer hiding at the end, or in the middle, of a Nintendo Direct!

The Gen 6 reveal was definitely the best way of revealing, we not only got the titles and logos, but got to see the starters and box legendaries straight away and even clips of in-game footage

I gotta say, personally- Gen 7 might be my favorite generation? Because I love the walls that it broke down for the series and the new concepts it tried with regional variants and not having gyms. Conceptually, Sun and Moon were great, it was the first time in awhile that I was really excited for a new pokemon game- not so good at executing those concepts, though, so that was disappointing.

Gen 2 would come second, just because it encompasses both of my favorite regions in terms of pokemon design- I prefer the simple and natural look of Gen 1 and 2 pokemon over the more cartoony designs that we have gotten since. But I admit, as the first two generations, they don't have much compared to the other games in terms of story and advanced gameplay.

Gen 5 is easily the bottom of my personal list but that's only because the pokedex was a huge turn off that I refused to touch the entire generation. But to be fair, I hear that the story was very good for that generation (particularly for BW2) and I believe everyone who says that.

But every generation has its high and low points to be considered and things that make them comparatively better than other generations, so I think it's really hard to find a list that accurately portrays each generation in order from best to worst because there are things people like and don't like about each of them. Heck, I am indifferent to Gen 3 because I don't think it was a very notable generation in all, but I see so many Gen 3 fans because those were their first games- so a person's entry point into the series is a huge bias too.

So overall, I think the subject of best and worst pokemon games is kind of pointless because it's largely subjective and there are so many factors involved- it would be better to select an aspect of the games (such as design, concept, graphics or story) and compare those elements separately rather than to compare the games to each other as a whole.

I think an x/y reveal style trailer would be the safest way to reveal the game and have fans be happy and excited about it, but I do think s/m's reveal had its positives. when we finally did get to see gameplay in May it was the most exciting thing ever, and then the treehouse stream a few weeks later was a really cool way to show off the game and reveal new pokemon at the same time (grubbin, yungoos)

It's also ironic that a lot of the things people ask for out of gamefreak now were present in gen 5 (mainly, no kanto interference and lots of new pokemon)

In my opinion, Gen I will always be the worse. I like the character designs, but a game filled to the brim with glitches, characters lacking personality, and the music sounding kinda high-pitched at times made replaying the games painful, and this comes from someone who's second game was Blue and I was there when Pokemon came to Latin America so it's not a case of hating Kanto for the pandering, it's just a case of not having nostalgia glasses on.

Now that I think about it, Gen V is kinda the opposite from Gen I, the Pokémon design was kinda lack-luster, but everything else makes up for it.

Gen VI, on the other hand, is the live definition of "wasted potential". Character customization was nice, but the options were lacking if you were a dude. They tried to have a larger cast, but didn't do much with them. Lysandre sounded like he could have been an interesting villain, but Team Flare as a whole was a mess, and the scene were Lysandre cried was narmy. Also, those were the easies games by far. Doesn't help that it also came originally with a game-breaking bug.

I think an x/y reveal style trailer would be the safest way to reveal the game and have fans be happy and excited about it, but I do think s/m's reveal had its positives. when we finally did get to see gameplay in May it was the most exciting thing ever, and then the treehouse stream a few weeks later was a really cool way to show off the game and reveal new pokemon at the same time (grubbin, yungoos)
I believe that's the best way to go about it too. I'm sure they've made enough progress by now to be presentable.

Having read the past couple of pages I just wanted to speak up for Gen V lol!

Gen V is my favourite gen so far. By quite some distance, actually.

It introduced my number one favourite Pokémon, the entirely new Dex made Unova feel so far away from the previous regions (the intended effect) and it felt so fresh. The music is fantastic (actually, amazingly intricate at times) and paired with the charming graphics made the games hugely atmospheric, in my opinion. They have by far the strongest story telling of any Pokémon game so far and PWT was an excellent idea. It still pains me that it is yet to make a return (perhaps it never will, which is very sad).

I have Gen V to thank for still being a huge Pokémon fan, to be honest. I had become somewhat disillusioned with the franchise after Gen III and Gen IV - don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy them but they didn’t blow me away. I found the Pokémon introduced in Gen IV in particular to be massively underwhelming. Gen V brought me back in and I have since become a bigger fan of the franchise as a whole than I ever was before Black and White were released.

I know this isn’t on topic of the thread but I just wanted to throw my two cents in! All of the above is also proof of how redundant the ‘which Gen is worst/best debate’. If 5 people who dislike Gen V shout louder than 5 people who like it, the ‘rankings’ or ‘polls’ will show that Gen V is unpopular. It’s misleading.

Honestly, there's really no need to reveal them early in the year. XY was revealed in January and did have a good amount of initial announcements as we got the region, legendaries, and starters, but outside of Sylveon and Mega Mewtwo Y we got very little else on the games until May. SM was revealed in February, and until May of that year we got absolutely nothing on those games either. Finally, USUM was revealed in May, but didn't get going until late Summer, with the only major addition we got between then being the Necrozma forms, the Photo Club, and Lycanroc Dusk.

So really, the only reason we need an announcement now is out of courtesy since we the fans (and maybe the investors as well) want to know what's coming for the franchise, but we learn so little about them that you could push it off until later and the only thing lost is not getting a sparse few details.

Those sparse details could be enough to get the fanbase hyped though. One of the things fans are going to be looking to see is how improved the graphics and the overworld are. Even a few screenshots or gameplay clips could answer that. If we're going to be waiting a while anyway to see the real meat of the reveals, they may as well show something in the meantime. Remember, we've known about this game for over 6 months. We've already had a long wait and fans are antsy for information on the game. Having at least something for the next 3 months would at least keep the fans engaged. Yes, it's not much but something is better than nothing.

Man, thinking about what our favorite gens are and why has me thinking- I loved Gen 7 for the introduction of new ideas to the series, so that's kind of a big priority for me. I am really hoping that Gen 8 will introduce similarly new concepts that expand upon the pokemon world- particularly something along the same vein as regional variants. I don't mean another new form mechanic, but just another concept that expands upon... the biodiversity, I guess is the word I want? I wanna see a whole new kind of pokemon introduced entirely- not just a new species, but a new kind with a different role from what we're used to.

aka- Give me support pokemon, Gen 8, goddamn you.

If we don't get that, though, then I just want to see proof that they're not just going to keep introducing concepts and then dropping them the next generation indefinitely. Because that's super tiring and it means that you can't grow attached to a mechanic and look forward to what's going to be added to it in the next generation. After Mega Evolution, we really need some proof that we can grow attached to these things and really accept them as part of the series instead of being a one-off gimmick.

Last edited:
Man, thinking about what our favorite gens are and why has me thinking- I loved Gen 7 for the introduction of new ideas to the series, so that's kind of a big priority for me. I am really hoping that Gen 8 will introduce similarly new concepts that expand upon the pokemon world- particularly something along the same vein as regional variants. I don't mean another new form mechanic, but just another concept that expands upon... the biodiversity, I guess is the word I want? I wanna see a whole new kind of pokemon introduced entirely- not just a new species, but a new kind with a different role from what we're used to.

aka- Give me support pokemon, Gen 8, goddamn you.

If we don't get that, though, then I just want to see proof that they're not just going to keep introducing concepts and then dropping them the next generation indefinitely. Because that's super tiring and it means that you can't grow attached to a mechanic and look forward to what's going to be added to it in the next generation. After Mega Evolution, we really need some proof that we can grow attached to these things and really accept them as part of the series instead of being a one-off gimmick.

Absolutely. I would LOVE for there to be new Megas and new regional variants introduced. I feel like it’s almost a guarantee that Gen VIII won’t introduce more of both... which makes me think they won’t introduce more of either... which makes me a little sad. Both of those concepts are so huge that it’s really frustrating to me that we might not ever see more of either of them.

Regional variants especially was an amazing idea. Such a fantastic way to breathe new life into old Pokémon.

Now that I am back, I might as well talk about this, I don't think we will get the Generation 8 reveal everyone is wanting this month. I know:
lies-lies-mg8odl.jpg

But hear me out when I say, we probably won't see a Generation 8 reveal in a traditional way. My guess is that we will see our first Generation 8 Pokemon this month. And if I may add, I feel that revealing it on Pokemon Day would be a great start for it. It's a great way to set up hype, and get people ready for a new adventure. Now why do I think this? Well previously for the last several generations, each generation prior to its reveal had a Pokemon or multiple Pokemon revealed early prior to the Generation's official reveal. If memory serves correct, I believe we saw Munchlax far before Diamond and Pearl, Zorua and Zoroark before Black and White, and Magearna before Sun and Moon. If anything, I feel though that Pokemon X and Y strayed away from this, and revealed a slew of information right from the get go. However with how Pokemon seems to be handling this Generation of titles for Switch, I assume they are gonna want to pace the fan expectation and hype to help boost pre-sales. In all I want to say that this next bit is ONLY my prediction/guess, but here goes. This is how I see the news cycle for Pokemon Generation 8 from this month to the release (est. to be late November):
  1. February: New Generation 8 Pokemon Revealed (Possibly on Pokemon Day).
  2. March: New Pokemon titles revealed, small tid-bit of information.
  3. April: I think this is our breather month, as TPCJ and TPCi will most likely want to advertise the Detective Pikachu film seeing it will be out soon.
  4. May: Another proper trailer, I guess we will see the starters by then like Sun and Moon did.
  5. June: Ah E3 Month, how I love thy. I expect a Tree House demo and new details for the games this month. Maybe show off the new gimmick if there is one too?
  6. July+: Here I am just being lazy, but I am also going to assume they might do a monthly new Pokemon reveal from July going forward till release.
Now, this seems very Farfetch'd ;) but I do think Pokemon Generation 8 will also be released near the very end of November. As someone else here (apologize, I do not remember who, do tell if you know who you are, also hello!) that Game Freak, TPC (namely TPCi) and Nintendo will not want Pokemon to miss the Black Friday sales, and IF the rumors are true of a Switch Mini, they want the game out by its release to push its sales during that time. So I guesstimate the release of the game(s) around November 14th-November 22nd, 2019. Late, yes, but it does make sense.
In any case, that is my 2 cents on this, sorry for the text wall, just feel SO good having my head not feel like Videl did after facing Spovovich in the World Martial Art Tournament in the Buu Saga (any DBZ fans here?). Anyways, cheers and Happy Late Saturday!

FUN FACT: My favorite generations of Pokemon are 1, 3, 5, and 7 is anyone is curious. :p

My favorite generation is V. It did not have a single flawed game in my opinion.

My least favorite generation would currently be VII. Might change my mind after doing a Moon and Ultra Moon Nuzlocke. It certainly changed my opinion about X.

Anyhow, I feel that we'll at least get something this month. Don't think it'll be another dry month like January.

Reactions: SGD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom