• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if CoroCoro leaks before release date, like normally?

That’s what they mean. It’s not usually a case of if Corocoro leaks, it’s a case of does Corocoro have anything major? If Corocoro does have something big, it’ll definitely leak at some point between the 11th and 14th (Japan time), so we’ll know by the 14th. The magazine itself releases on the 15th.

Having said that, the fact that there doesn’t seem to be anything Pokémon related on the cover makes it seem unlikely that there’s anything big, as does the fact that they didn’t mention having anything big in this issue last month. For the record, there was a silhouette of Magearna on the cover of the issue that revealed it.

The main gripe people seem to have with generation V (well, the first two titles at least), is the lack of older 'mons. I didn't mind it; the region felt fresh. It was subjectively my favourite generation. The other gripe people had, was that the games were still quite traditional; no very big core-changes.

Anyway, generation 7 has kind of made way for a B/W-ish kind of game again, for the following reasons:
  • Story: the last two generations didn't come as close to a compelling story as Generation V.
  • Let's Go: It features the 151 original 'mons, so no reason to go on the Kanto-train yet again. Give the Kanto mons a rest, would be my advice; we've seen too much of them lately. It doesn't help that generation 6/7 have so very few designs, either. A good amount of new critters are needed and then I'm not talking about Legendary/Mythical/UB-like mons, but about 'generic' ones. The new mons in the last two generations seemed to be in the minority, even, when you encountered them in the wild. One of the charms of Pokémon is encountering new beasties to catch and collect.
  • Generation 7 tried to do some core-changes: Island-trials and the building-up of the Elite 4 are not necessarily things that Gamefreak would need to continue; people are still very attached to their gym-system. Poké-ride was a good change, though. I don't think they'll introduce HM's anymore.
The main challenges for a generation 8 game would be to tackle the following:
  • Enough new designs (somewhere between generation 3 and 5 would be nice, in my opinion). I think Gamefreak has enough artists to deliver quality ones.
  • A compelling story: Always a hard thing to achieve, but they should try it again.
  • Keeping the QoL-changes from past generations and adding some more.
  • No more 'casualization': Tutorials should be optional, dialogue skippable, trainers should be more challenging with bigger teams, etc. If Let's Go was their more casual-friendly game, then this one should be more longtimeplayer-friendly. A compelling post-game should be part of this, too.
  • Killing a bit of the linearity; need I say more? Probably one of Pokémons biggest challenges. Non-linear routes or even gyms might be revolutionary. The non-linear League was already quite a good solution, they should expand it further.

So, yeah, a B/W-ish generation would really spice things up again.

I don’t want a repeat of Gen 5 in the sense of having no older Pokémon. The Generation 5 Dex felt really bloated and I ended up hating most of them (there are good Pokémon like Volcarona and Zoroark though) and some of them felt like repeats of Generation 1 Pokemon (Throh, Sawk, Garbodor, Audino are the one season which come to mind) and attempts at creating new 'generic' Pokémon: Unfezant was a massive downgrade from Staraptor.

There should be older Pokémon to fall back on in case someone doesn’t like the newer designs, and keep the new designs common.

Platinum had achieved the perfect balance imo. The early Pokémon were likeable and it was easy to capture a Shinx, Bidoof and Starly before encountering the generic Kanto/Johto Pokemon.
As for the amount, I tend to like the generations which do not release a lot of new Pokemon (Kalos and Alola) so I'd prefer if they continued the trend while freshening up the previous designs with regional variants and Megas.[/b]

I don’t want a repeat of Gen 5 in the sense of having no older Pokémon. The Generation 5 Dex felt really bloated and I ended up hating most of them (there are good Pokémon like Volcarona and Zoroark though) and some of them felt like repeats of Generation 1 Pokemon (Throh, Sawk, Garbodor, Audino are the one season which come to mind) and attempts at creating new 'generic' Pokémon: Unfezant was a massive downgrade from Staraptor.

There should be older Pokémon to fall back on in case someone doesn’t like the newer designs, and keep the new designs common.

Platinum had achieved the perfect balance imo. The early Pokémon were likeable and it was easy to capture a Shinx, Bidoof and Starly before encountering the generic Kant:bulbaWave:Johto Pokemon.
As for the amount, I tend to like the generations which do not release a lot of new Pokemon (Kalos and Alola) so I'd prefer if they continued the trend while freshening up the previous designs with regional variants and Megas.[/b]
I'm kind of tired of seeing Kanto-mons, again. I agree that new designs only shouldn't be the way to go, but generation 6/7 were too shallow. 6 had better designs, in my opinion, and was indeed a good break. But generation 7 repeating that was a mistake.

Anyway; I'm not a big fan of regional variants and/or (mega-)forms, but I'm all for a B2/W2/Plt-like dex; lots of new designs, but still enough old ones inbetween. As long as there's a lack of Kanto-ones. So tired of them.

Im curious how town came about.

I know the general thought is that town came about when developing Gen 8. Im curious how visually different from town Gen 8 will be.

Town already looks pretty like BOTW anime cell shading style and I would be satisfied with Gen 8 looking like that but at the same time, I want something more visually realistic.

I don't think we'll get a new Pokemon only scenario again like BW. Because we've been getting less and less new Pokemon each Generation. For us to relive BW, we'd need at least 110-120 new Pokemon, I feel that's a reasonable amount. It doesn't seem so bloated.

But I don't see another situation like BW happening again. A better idea, as mentioned earlier, would be to have more focus on the newer Mons. While the older Mons take more of a backseat.

I'm kind of tired of seeing Kanto-mons, again. I agree that new designs only shouldn't be the way to go, but generation 6/7 were too shallow. 6 had better designs, in my opinion, and was indeed a good break. But generation 7 repeating that was a mistake.

Anyway; I'm not a big fan of regional variants and/or (mega-)forms, but I'm all for a B2/W2/Plt-like dex; lots of new designs, but still enough old ones inbetween. As long as there's a lack of Kanto-ones. So tired of them.

The simplest solution would be to just tweak rarities. Just make Kanto/any other generation Pokemon rarer and the newer Pokémon easier to run into. Replace Zubat with occasional Noibat or Woobat and so on.

I don't think we'll get a new Pokemon only scenario again like BW. Because we've been getting less and less new Pokemon each Generation. For us to relive BW, we'd need at least 110-120 new Pokemon, I feel that's a reasonable amount. It doesn't seem so bloated.

But I don't see another situation like BW happening again. A better idea, as mentioned earlier, would be to have more focus on the newer Mons. While the older Mons take more of a backseat.

There was a lot of complaints about that in general. I wasn’t surprised when BW2 brought them all back.

GameFreak are not specially willing to increase the amount of Pokemon per generation so I think discussing plusible solutions while keeping that in mind would be better.
120-ish 'mons together with a bigger regional dex seems acceptable for most, not?

And plausibility? Well, they can do whatever they want to do.

Just found 2 online polls, of course this is all subjective, and they didn't include Gen 7

First one ranked them as
Gen 3
Gen 1
Gen 4
Gen 2
Gen 6
Gen 5

Second one had

Gen 2
Gen 1
Gen 3
Gen 4
Gen 6
Gen 5

So a diverse mix, but both had 6 and 5 ranked second to last and last respectively.
Of course it's possible that Gen 7 is even lower than Gen 5, but both polls were before Gen 7 came out

Gen 5 last two times while Gen 6 ranks above it?

Yeah, this definitely can't be correct. Gen 5 is the best Gen anyways so it can't even be in the bottom half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom