• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of how I personally feel about Gen 5 or any other generation, we're not really interpreting two random online polls about Pokémon as quality studies with useful sample sizes and meaningful results, are we?

I know it isn’t going to happen and maybe it would be very unpopular with most of the fanbase, but I’d personally love a region that consisted more or less entirely of regional variants rather than new species. First design the region, then decide what kinds of critters would live in its biosphere and then adapt relevant existing Pokémon species to fit, with new typings for and slight alterations on already successful designs.

The most readily available reason for the smaller numbers of new species introduced in recent gens is that the designers are hard pressed to deliver inspired new designs to the fanbase that also add something to the already existing fauna. I imagine they’re not pitching fewer designs, but that more of them end up on the cutting room floor if they’re found uninspired, repetitive or simply not adding anything to the already extensive list of designs. It takes more time to come up with a big roster of well-designed creatures that builds upon the hundreds of already-existent designs than they are given by the constantly looming release cycle they are working with. I absolutely loved many of the Gen VII Pokémon but I also found others very lacklustre (I’m sure lots of you disagree with me on this too, that’s fine).

By running one generation on regional variants (excluding mythical/legendaries, I suppose) rather than altogether/mostly new designs, the designers would have a much longer time until their next deadline to come up with a solid 100-200 entry dex for the next generation that is not lined with fillers (or new pikaclones, new “standard bug/bird”, “generic rodent” etc.) and that they can be proud of.

I for one would at least rather see introduced larger, more thought-out rosters of new Pokémon with bigger gaps in between than smaller rosters sprinkled with subpar designs on a more regular basis. A regional variant generation could provide that without cutting down the regular output of new games. Also, I love the regional variants concept and this would put it at the forefront of a generation. (And mind you, I’m not necessarily pushing for this to happen in the next gen, but maybe after that.)

———

You guys should thank your designated deities that I’m not running the marketing for Pokémon, because I’d skip all that trailer and reveals and showcasing stuff and just drop a new Pokémon silhouette each week all the way until launch to rile the fanbase up. Think Who’s That Pokémon? but without the design reveal or name and then a Beyoncé album drop.

Yeah, no.

A region full of only Regional variants is boring, bland and not exciting since we've already seen those Pokémon before but now they just look different and have different typings.

But to be fair, I found regional variants a boring concept since its reveal, but hey, that's me.

We shall see. I just hope we won't see a repeat of generation 7 with so many Legendaries/Mythicals/Ultra Beasts and other special ones (like Type-Null and Silvally).

1/4 of the generation, or maybe more, wasn't an outdoor-critter, but something special mentioned above. And of the 'mons that you encountered in the wild, a lot of them couldn't evolve or were gimmicky. That's bad. Generation 6 was more balanced in that regard, at least.

That's not even mentioning the abyssmal speed most of the new 'mons had.

Last edited:
I do agree that we need less Legendaries. Like, for real. In Gen I and Gen II, they actually felt Legendary because there were so few of them. Gen III too.

Then Gen IV came and everything that's 'Legendary' and 'Mythical' just exploded in numbers up to the point that it all doesn't feel special anymore.

I do agree that we need less Legendaries. Like, for real. In Gen I and Gen II, they actually felt Legendary because there were so few of them. Gen III too.

Then Gen IV came and everything that's 'Legendary' and 'Mythical' just exploded in numbers up to the point that it all doesn't feel special anymore.
While I agree that Gen 4 overdid it a bit when it came to the amount of Legendary Pokémon, I was actually very pleased with the way they were handled in Gen 7. The Tapus role as active island guardians given was heavy focus. Even the Island Challenge has been created in honour of their great benevolence. They also influence the islands and their inhabitants directly. Take Tapu Bulu for example, who destroys the Thrifty Megamart as punishment for the people who built it on its sacred grounds. That said, Type: Null and Silvally pale in comparison and don't feel like real Legendary Pokémon to me at all.

I'd like to see more Legendary Pokémon that feel involved with their world, like the Tapus. Or at least Legendary Pokémon with interesting lore or mystery behind them to truly justify their Legendary status, such as the Regi Trio.

It is very intriguing that the Sun & Moon reveal trailer came very close to moving from each earlier game in motion, but stopped before transitioning to Sun & Moon!

Somehow it feels like a full transition is more likely to happen this time! :):)

That said, Type: Null and Silvally pale in comparison and don't feel like real Legendary Pokémon to me at all.

If it makes you feel better, I never knew Type: Null and Silvally were Legendary Pokémon, until I saw someone here state that, and I was like "This guy is joking, right?"

Then I jumped on Bulbapedia and noticed that it was indeed a Legendary and other sources confirmed this as well.

Yeah...

I love Type: Null and Silvally and everything related to them, but I agree that we need fewer Legendary and Mythical Pokemon, especially if they are not going to bother giving them more depth and backstory to set them apart from the loads of Legendary/Mythical Pokemon we already have.

It’s a shame because some of the Legendary/Mythical concepts are good and interesting, but they just don’t really expand on them much. Even if they are featured in movies, I don’t feel like they give them compelling stories anymore.

Yeah, no.

A region full of only Regional variants is boring, bland and not exciting since we've already seen those Pokémon before but now they just look different and have different typings.

But to be fair, I found regional variants a boring concept since its reveal, but hey, that's me.
I'll take a regional variant of bidoof any day over yet another early route critter or pika-clone (which we'll inevitably get anyway). They add new stuff to an old design, and a new way of playing with these pokemon.

I'll take a regional variant of bidoof any day over yet another early route critter or pika-clone (which we'll inevitably get anyway). They add new stuff to an old design, and a new way of playing with these pokemon.
I'm of the opinion that a new way of playing a mon can wat be given to a new mon (with the appropriate design, of course).

So, no, I disagree with you. There's even a chance that regional variants won't come again anytime soon.

I know it isn’t going to happen and maybe it would be very unpopular with most of the fanbase, but I’d personally love a region that consisted more or less entirely of regional variants rather than new species. First design the region, then decide what kinds of critters would live in its biosphere and then adapt relevant existing Pokémon species to fit, with new typings for and slight alterations on already successful designs.

The most readily available reason for the smaller numbers of new species introduced in recent gens is that the designers are hard pressed to deliver inspired new designs to the fanbase that also add something to the already existing fauna. I imagine they’re not pitching fewer designs, but that more of them end up on the cutting room floor if they’re found uninspired, repetitive or simply not adding anything to the already extensive list of designs. It takes more time to come up with a big roster of well-designed creatures that builds upon the hundreds of already-existent designs than they are given by the constantly looming release cycle they are working with. I absolutely loved many of the Gen VII Pokémon but I also found others very lacklustre (I’m sure lots of you disagree with me on this too, that’s fine).

By running one generation on regional variants (excluding mythical/legendaries, I suppose) rather than altogether/mostly new designs, the designers would have a much longer time until their next deadline to come up with a solid 100-200 entry dex for the next generation that is not lined with fillers (or new pikaclones, new “standard bug/bird”, “generic rodent” etc.) and that they can be proud of.

I for one would at least rather see introduced larger, more thought-out rosters of new Pokémon with bigger gaps in between than smaller rosters sprinkled with subpar designs on a more regular basis. A regional variant generation could provide that without cutting down the regular output of new games. Also, I love the regional variants concept and this would put it at the forefront of a generation. (And mind you, I’m not necessarily pushing for this to happen in the next gen, but maybe after that.)

———

You guys should thank your designated deities that I’m not running the marketing for Pokémon, because I’d skip all that trailer and reveals and showcasing stuff and just drop a new Pokémon silhouette each week all the way until launch to rile the fanbase up. Think Who’s That Pokémon? but without the design reveal or name and then a Beyoncé album drop.
I saw that you got a lot of regional variant hate responses and I wanna balance that out because I love the regional variant concept. XD It's new and interesting and adds something conceptually different to the pokemon world ecology. I don't think that it was executed very well because most of the designs were a joke, but maybe games with more focus on them would give us less derpy regional variants.

That said, I don't know that I would want a region that consisted entirely of them? I think new pokemon are kind of a necessary thing- especially because you really don't want them to get burnt out on trying to make regional variants happen, or we would just get a whole lot of more joke designs. In fact, I wouldn't say that they are easier to design at all- if they were, we might have gotten more of them in Sun and Moon. They have to take an already existing pokemon and try to change it in a way that makes some sort of sense, and manage a good design out of it that they're happy with, so that feels like more of a challenge to me rather than creating an all new creature entirely.

I'm sure that the reason we're getting less pokemon isn't because they're running out of ideas by any means- it's because we already have so many pokemon that they're trying to slow down on the growth and focus on other ideas that influence design.

But in a similar vein to what you were suggesting, I think what could be a really neat thing would be if we got a remake that introduced a number of regional variants that started to populate the region sometime after we last left it. Especially if it took some of the new pokemon for that generation and showed them in an older region with new forms for contrast.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHIX1D6tUeo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fe9fISEi8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiuddF50YHA

Those are the three part of the Insomniac rumors. I don't know how legit it can be. It might be worth taking a look.

197 pokemon and using scrapped designs- hahaha, nope. Fake as shit. XD

Edit: Found the starter pokemon posted in the videos, too-

Last edited:
In regards to Legendary and Mythical Pokemon, I really hope they give more interesting backstories, I just simply don't want another Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde scenario in which their connection wasn't made clear. Especially since USUM had a perfect opportunity to place Xerneas and Yveltal somewhere in Alola that's not an Ultra Wormhole, which would've been the perfect reason for Zygarde to be there. If you make a story about a trio or duo, elaborate on it sometime in a later game, don't leave it incomplete, that's just lazy if you ask me. Basically, I don't want half-baked backstories, either give them a complete backstory, or don't give them a backstory at all, the only in-between I can accept is when the backstory gets explained later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom