• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it isn’t going to happen and maybe it would be very unpopular with most of the fanbase, but I’d personally love a region that consisted more or less entirely of regional variants rather than new species. First design the region, then decide what kinds of critters would live in its biosphere and then adapt relevant existing Pokémon species to fit, with new typings for and slight alterations on already successful designs.

The most readily available reason for the smaller numbers of new species introduced in recent gens is that the designers are hard pressed to deliver inspired new designs to the fanbase that also add something to the already existing fauna. I imagine they’re not pitching fewer designs, but that more of them end up on the cutting room floor if they’re found uninspired, repetitive or simply not adding anything to the already extensive list of designs. It takes more time to come up with a big roster of well-designed creatures that builds upon the hundreds of already-existent designs than they are given by the constantly looming release cycle they are working with. I absolutely loved many of the Gen VII Pokémon but I also found others very lacklustre (I’m sure lots of you disagree with me on this too, that’s fine).

By running one generation on regional variants (excluding mythical/legendaries, I suppose) rather than altogether/mostly new designs, the designers would have a much longer time until their next deadline to come up with a solid 100-200 entry dex for the next generation that is not lined with fillers (or new pikaclones, new “standard bug/bird”, “generic rodent” etc.) and that they can be proud of.

I for one would at least rather see introduced larger, more thought-out rosters of new Pokémon with bigger gaps in between than smaller rosters sprinkled with subpar designs on a more regular basis. A regional variant generation could provide that without cutting down the regular output of new games. Also, I love the regional variants concept and this would put it at the forefront of a generation. (And mind you, I’m not necessarily pushing for this to happen in the next gen, but maybe after that.)

———

You guys should thank your designated deities that I’m not running the marketing for Pokémon, because I’d skip all that trailer and reveals and showcasing stuff and just drop a new Pokémon silhouette each week all the way until launch to rile the fanbase up. Think Who’s That Pokémon? but without the design reveal or name and then a Beyoncé album drop.

As fascinating as this idea, I don't think I am ready for a Pokmon region entirely filled with Regional variants. I do think the idea is interesting though.

I absolutely love the concept of regional variants. This idea that Pokemon might have to change in order to fit a certain environment is such a neat idea from the animal world, and can be used in so many different new ways. It gives us more of an idea of how Pokemon live, and it makes the Pokemon world feel more fleshed out, so I hope Gen 8 brings us plenty of more new regional variants.

__

I also don't want as many legendaries this Gen. The UBs felt quite like legends, and even if they weren't we got a lot this past generation. They did introduce the neat concept of Legendaries being able to evovle this gen, which is a really cool idea, but I do want to see them going back to only a small handful of Legendaries. Legendaries are such a cool concept, and seeing them just get thrown around with little to no backstory is just kind of sad to me. I would honestly take only having 3 legends and a mythical if they really fleshed out their backstory and attachment to the region and all the lore behind them

Another thing with mythicals that might have been discussed here before, or maybe it was somewhere else, idk, but I'd like to see a change up with how we obtain the mythicals. I'm fine with having to go grab a code or whatever to make them available to catch, but I think it would be neat if the game did similar to what Gen 4 did and unlocked a mini event within the game that allows you to go and catch the mythical yourself. It could even give you a special Pokeball for those people who don't want to stress over catching it. Instead of just handing the Pokemon to you, you have to go find it yourslef and the game could give you a series of puzzles or going through a cave or just, anything new, that you have to go find it with. And with having the game on a much more capable system, that can have much better graphics and animations, I'm sure it would not be difficult to develope something like this, as long as they had it in mind from the beginning of the development period for the game.

I honestly think that with as much Gen IV representation that we are seeing in Merchandise and the anime as well as in promotions, that we can expect a fair amount of Gen IV Pokemon to appear in the regional Pokedex of this upcoming generation.

I honestly think that with as much Gen IV representation that we are seeing in Merchandise and the anime as well as in promotions, that we can expect a fair amount of Gen IV Pokemon to appear in the regional Pokedex of this upcoming generation.
Or a Sinnoh remake after the Gen 8 games.

That would be a bad idea, especially considering that gen might get remakes in the near future.

Well we are kind of expecting Gen 4 remakes... if those happen, then they shouldn't have many Gen 4 pokemon in the new games because you'll be able to get them in the remakes soon after.

Maybe we'll get Gen 4 regional variants? I mean, most (if not all) the regional variants in U/SM were Gen 1, and then we got a "remake" for LGPE. So maybe they'll do something similar if they add more regional variants.
I can definitely see Roserade receive one that's based on the black rose.

When I first saw Type: Null in battle, I actually thought my game bugged and searched on the internet why a Pokemon's name has been replaced by a type.

I personally don't like how it's called.. and then evolving into a normal name like 'Silvally' just felt random. They don't sound related at all. If they wanted the word 'Type' in it's first evolution, then they should've included it in the final evolution.

Type: Null and then Type: Full makes more sense to me anyways. Or even Null and Full.

I honestly think that with as much Gen IV representation that we are seeing in Merchandise and the anime as well as in promotions,
Like what, other than anime Shaymin and Go promotions? The starter plushies that apply to all generations? No offense, but I wish examples would be given when making statements like this.

When I first saw Type: Null in battle, I actually thought my game bugged and searched on the internet why a Pokemon's name has been replaced by a type.

I personally don't like how it's called.. and then evolving into a normal name like 'Silvally' just felt random. They don't sound related at all. If they wanted the word 'Type' in it's first evolution, then they should've included it in the final evolution.

Type: Null and then Type: Full makes more sense to me anyways. Or even Null and Full.

The idea is that it's not so much an evolution more an awakening. Although you get the evolution screen in-game, the lore and the anime show the evolution as it simply breaking free of the helmet that limits it's power. In the anime Gladion called it Silvally even when it was in the Type: Null stage.

The idea being it is going from being a failed lab experiment to a full Pokemon in its own right

I'm of the opinion that a new way of playing a mon can wat be given to a new mon (with the appropriate design, of course).

So, no, I disagree with you. There's even a chance that regional variants won't come again anytime soon.
Eh, that's fair when it comes to entirely new concepts. But that's not what regional variants are. Using those concepts for a different pokemon species would simply make them feel like knock-offs, hence me referring to early route critters and pika-clones. I'll also have to admit I'm in favour of less designs per generation of a higher quality, and keeping the already ridiculous amount of pokemon in check.

Because, as cute as plusle and minun might be, what are they other than twin-variant of pichu/pikachu? Why do we need yet another normal/flying type bird, or a normal type rodent? And these variations don't have extremely differing ways of playing.

Would have needed an entirely new 'spoiled pet-cat that plays dirty tricks', or 'pile of txoic sludge that feeds on trash'?

I just feel like the regional variants don't offer concepts so radically different that they need their own new entry

I personally don't like how it's called.. and then evolving into a normal name like 'Silvally' just felt random. They don't sound related at all.

That's because Gladion is the one who names him. Moon Dex entry - "Although its name was Type: Null at first, the boy who evolved it into this form gave it the name by which it is now known."

And the name origin: (from bulbapedia too)

"Name origin
Silvally may be a combination of silver and ally. In-universe, it was named by Gladion.

Silvady (japanese name) may be a combination of silver and buddy."

You know, Silvally is gray, and it's his buddy (Gladion is just a kid :enzap:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom