• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would having nothing in this Direct mean no announcement until May? Pokemon doesn't get announced in general Nintendo Directs anyway.

Do you remember when we discussed about the reasons why I believed we would have the trailer in January? As I said, the only reason I see them ignoring all those reasons would be if they were holding the announcement until May. To do what I said (the promotion with the live action).

At the same time, holding the game until May would means not showing anything more than a teaser before. And I don't see why they would not have shown this teaser on this first Direct of the year. I think announcing a Pokémon Direct just for shown a teaser would be unnecessary in this context (the context we are in now is quite different from that of Sun and Moon. We already know of the existence of this game a long time ago).

I didn't believe that Pokémon Day would be a big deal before. But if they had at least announced something like "we're not going to talk about this game here, but you will hear news about soon" I'd believe we'd have something. But that didn't happen.

But it's just my opinion. I may be completely wrong. Let's wait and see.

I agree with both these points in a way.
Pokemon always has kept itself separate and done it's own thing, and to be honest I can't see why.
Why is Pokemon so different from all the other franchises?
Why do you have to wait for a separate Pokemon Direct all the time?

I think that's because the Pokémon audience is huge, and overall, would not care about the other games of a common Direct. And it would also take all the attention of the other games. But at the same time, I think it's not impossible to have minor things like teasers or statements about on a Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:
Do you remember when we discussed about the reasons why I believed we would have the trailer in January? As I said, the only reason I see them ignoring all those reasons would be if they were holding the announcement until May. To do what I said (the promotion with the live action).

At the same time, holding the game until May would means not show anything more than a teaser before. And I don't see why they would not have shown this teaser on this first Direct of the year. I think announcing a Pokémon Direct just for shown a teaser would be unnecessary in this context (the context we are in now is quite different from that of Sun and Moon. We already know of the existence of this game a long time ago).

I didn't believe that Pokémon Day would be a big deal before. But if they had at least announced something like "we're not going to talk about this game here, but you will hear news about soon" I'd believe we'd have something. But that didn't happen.

I think that's because the Pokémon audience is huge, and overall, would not care about the other games of a common Direct. And it would also take all the attention of the other games. But at the same time, I think it's not impossible to have minor things like teasers or statements about on a Nintendo Direct.
I actually don't remember the January discussion. XD But I'm also a little sick at the moment so memory isn't the best.

Pokemon Day is still looking like an extremely likely date, though, especially with the event and reveals planned around it. But this Direct may not have bothered to mention it because that's still two weeks out.

Plus one glaring issue with trying to use the movie as a springboard- it's not releasing globally in May. Since Pokemon has gone the way of global announcements, it would be quite a huge fail to depend on the film when it's not releasing in some locations until as late as September.

Assuming that this info is accurate, anyway- Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019)

And I don't see why they would not have shown this teaser on this first Direct of the year.

Pokemon is Nintendo's biggest grossing Franchise and arguably their most popular. Pokemon will overshadow every regular Nintendo Direct, even if its just with a small teaser.

We could still get a shadow drop before Pokemon day, but I'm not sure about that. We're in that situation again where people like Paul are starting to get very confident about what they seem to know but can't say. Paul clearly said in this thread that he would see us in two weeks. To me, that means Pokemon day or shortly before is when we will finally see Pokemon gen 8.

I actually don't remember the January discussion. XD But I'm also a little sick at the moment so memory isn't the best.

Pokemon Day is still looking like an extremely likely date, though, especially with the event and reveals planned around it. But this Direct may not have bothered to mention it because that's still two weeks out.

Plus one glaring issue with trying to use the movie as a springboard- it's not releasing globally in May. Since Pokemon has gone the way of global announcements, it would be quite a huge fail to depend on the film when it's not releasing in some locations until as late as September.

Assuming that this info is accurate, anyway- Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019)

About the discussion, I was talking about this one (from when we thought that the first Direct would be in January. And it's obviously outdated now, like Nintendo has lowered their fiscal year goal since then).

About the live action, is that serious? If it is true, it would be really a point to take into consideration.

Pokemon is Nintendo's biggest grossing Franchise and arguably their most popular. Pokemon will overshadow every regular Nintendo Direct, even if its just with a small teaser.
I know (and pokémon really is their most popular franchise) but I don't think a teaser would overshadow them that much. We had other big game teasers like the one from Smash before.

I know (and pokémon really is their most popular franchise) but I don't think a teaser would overshadow them that much. We had other big game teasers like the one from Smash before.

Do you still remember what other games were showcased during the Smash teaser reveal. I don't, i only remember Smash.

Thats the problem revealing a big franchise in a trailer, people only mainly talk about those, making the other showcases in a trailer pretty much redundant.

About the discussion, I was talking about this one (from when we thought that the first Direct would be in January).

About the live action, is that serious? If it is true, it would be really a point to take into consideration.

Aaaah that one, okay.

And yeah, I don't know, I tried confirming France but it's hard to find French information from an English Google search. XD If anyone can confirm any of those non-May dates in that list, that would be fantastic.

IMDb doesn't usually get things wrong about movies, all the big movie critic internet personalities use it and consider it fact without much question.
I figured, I just like to cross-check information just in case. XD

Welp, and @Unown Seer points out exactly why- crosschecking for the win!

Do you still remember what other games were showcased during the Smash teaser reveal. I don't, i only remember Smash.

Thats the problem revealing a big franchise in a trailer, people only mainly talk about those, making the other showcases in a trailer pretty much redundant.
I don't think this (my personal example) proves anything, but I do. :enzap:

Aaaah that one, okay.

And yeah, I don't know, I tried confirming France but it's hard to find French information from an English Google search. XD If anyone can confirm any of those non-May dates in that list, that would be fantastic.

Yeah, it would be good.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, the way I see it. I am sharing my honest opinion, and I would be lying if I was saying anything different. But it's just my opinion.

For now I keep thinking like this, but let's wait and see. I know many other people have different opinions about (like you). And I also noticed that Joe and Paul seem quite confident that an announcement is coming soon. So let's just wait and see. I think it would be good for the community to have news soon.

We're in that situation again where people like Paul are starting to get very confident about what they seem to know but can't say. Paul clearly said in this thread that he would see us in two weeks.

I highly doubt he knows anything concrete. His whole face is out there. Whoever shared the info him would be scrutinising everything he does.

people like Joe & Paul are pretty prone to extreme backlash when it comes to how the pokemon fanbase is with expectations. If paul's this openly confident that something is happening around pokemon day week then I think its worth getting exciting over personally

on a side note that was probably one of my favorite directs, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Bloodstained, Rune Factory, DXM demo and FF9 shadowdrops, oof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom