• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a really cool idea for this. The legendaries could be the first dual same type. Aka Fire/Fire and Ice/Ice
They would be the embodiment of the hottest flames, and the coldest frosts.

The mechanics would work with them basically getting a double STAB. So rather than a 50% boost for Fire/Ice moves they get a 100% boost (one for each individual fire or ice type)
However the drawback is each type would then have 4x weaknesses. So the Fire/Fire legend would be 4x weak to Water/Rock/Ground etc and the Ice/Ice legend would be 4x weak against Rock, steel, fire etc.

Instead of them being Fire/Fire and Ice/Ice, they can give them Abilities that double STAB and weakness.

If the Pokemon games really feature royalty as a theme, then Game Freak are pushing it after forcing a castle and a king into Town. It really isn't that great a theme.

Gen 5 sorta had a slight royalty theme itself with Team Plasma & N (coronation & castles), arguably the starters as well (aside from Serperior) since Emboar is based upon a Chinese Ding (once used to justify Chinese Emperors) and Samurott; Samurai being the Japanese's own aristocracy.

Of course that didn't really extend outside of that, and could have been used as the regional villains theme bc America is supposed to be founded against Monarchical styled government. For me, I would just want them to handle it in a insightful manner. I don't want to be "knighted" or whatever within the games by the regent of the realm, but overthrow or at least challenge a would be system.

Very easy to imagine another Monarchical styled villain team, or better yet, a revolutionary one that assist you at first against them and betrays their principles later. Possibly would have been better for Kalos, but there's no changing that.

Very easy to imagine another Monarchical styled villain team, or better yet, a revolutionary one that assist you at first against them and betrays their principles later. Possibly would have been better for Kalos, but there's no changing that.
A nice idea for a region with no connection to the real world, but otherwise it would come across as a political statement.

Because Game Freak counts them as main series games?
Gamefreak counts them as such officially, they made multiple statements at this in the conference, the official gamefreak website supports the company statements with the games being in the main line category officially and it has the same exact coding that the last few generations have present in their data. Personal opinion can get in the way of this and most cant see past the difference in catching and other things.
But for all intents and purposes its a main series game. That fact cant be disputed.

For me personally, I'd rather the Shadow Series counted as main series but eh Gamefreak is Gamefreak.
Out of all the main series games, Let's Go is the least main series out of anything. I mean with that logic it's almost as if they're trying to make Go a main series game. Yellow kind of made sense being a main series game, not so much the remake which was made specifically for a mobile game tie in/family bonding time.

But yeah, the Shadow series or Ranger would be a lot better fitted for main series games than anything. Even Stadium would be a better main series game then Let's Go.

Let's go is not a visually appealing game imo. Every other AAA switch game looks much better. Compare DQ11 and Mario Odessy to let's go and you'll see what I mean. I think gen 8 will look nothing like let's go, especially if they are targeting long time fans like ishihara said.

It's not, but at the same time, this is gamefreak we're talking about. They probably won't catch up to the likes of Square Enix or in-house Nintendo until like Gen X.

If it's as bad as Let's go, then I at least hope they use the Pokken textures in place of the flat ones. They were the right amount of fuzzy and scaly unlike the movie versions.

=/ Well it's just that the movie didn't try to convert any of the pokemon to more realistic proportions so pretty much everything looks like a creepy animatronic. I think they could have been modeled a hell of a lot better and more believably than that.

Lickitung is probably the one I'm most impressed by, actually, but it could have used a different tongue texture. Reference a dog's tongue, it's not that gross. XD You really don't have to make them more cute or cool- just reference real life better. Animals aren't naturally disturbing to look at, so why should pokemon be?
They are monsters first and foremost. Not to mention there are some terrifying animals out there. Mostly deep sea and cave dwelling animals, but still.

Also I'm surprised they didn't use a lizard or a frog tongue for Lickitung in the movie. I mean it closely resembles like some kind of amphibian/reptile thing. They didn't need to give it a human texture. Just make it sticky and long looking without a crease and taste buds.

I wonder when we're getting our first Gen 8 Pokémon? If it's revealed before Gen 8's announcement, would that hold us over for a while?
Meltan technically is the Togepi/Munchlax of this generation. So at this point we're just waiting on the starters.

Gen 5 sorta had a slight royalty theme itself with Team Plasma & N (coronation & castles), arguably the starters as well (aside from Serperior) since Emboar is based upon a Chinese Ding (once used to justify Chinese Emperors) and Samurott; Samurai being the Japanese's own aristocracy.
Uh, serperior is the most royal of the 3 starters. It's literally based on french royalty, and its Japanese name incorporates the word "lord" on top of that.

Meltan technically is the Togepi/Munchlax of this generation. So at this point we're just waiting on the starters.
(Sorry for being completely nitpicky), but Togepi was not the first taste of Gen II, the ones that were revealed first were Ho-Oh, Slowking, Ampharos and Donphan.

Sorry.

EDIT: Here is a pic from that time:

A nice idea for a region with no connection to the real world, but otherwise it would come across as a political statement.

I guess in today's political climate that would be true. Would the current British monarch's really care all that much though? (assuming U.K. region or whatever) I guess your prior idea (earlier in thread) to have the legends themselves be that would mitigate controversy somewhat.

Uh, serperior is the most royal of the 3 starters. It's literally based on french royalty, and its Japanese name incorporates the word "lord" on top of that.

I misspoke... or misposted rather lol I meant Serperior wasn't the only one with that theme to it, and was the most obvious. I think most people "get" Samurott, but not many may understand Emboar in relation to Chinese aristocracy.

I guess in today's political climate that would be true. Would the current British monarch's really care all that much though? (assuming U.K. region or whatever) I guess your prior idea (earlier in thread) to have the legends themselves be that would mitigate controversy somewhat.

I misspoke... or misposted rather lol I meant Serperior wasn't the only one with that theme to it, and was the most obvious. I think most people "get" Samurott, but not many may understand Emboar in relation to Chinese aristocracy.
Ah, that makes much more sense. Forgive me for misinterpreting, then :)

Yeah, since you point it out it does seem like there is a lot of "royalty" in Unova, at least as themes. Kinda strange given that it's like Poké-America.

Ah, that makes much more sense. Forgive me for misinterpreting, then :)

Yeah, since you point it out it does seem like there is a lot of "royalty" in Unova, at least as themes. Kinda strange given that it's like Poké-America.

Even a luxury cruise liner called the Royal Unova...

Maybe bc it's more NYC than "America" as a whole unit. Perhaps an actual subtle critique as well. Not trying to get political, but... the wealthy & powerful in this country do somewhat function as a more modern aristocracy, and that's all I'll say on that.

Edit: :lapras: That Weedle.... it's all coming together.... It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Even a luxury cruise liner called the Royal Unova...

Maybe bc it's more NYC than "America" as a whole unit. Perhaps an actual subtle critique as well. Not trying to get political, but... the wealthy & powerful in this country do somewhat function as a more modern aristocracy, and that's all I'll say on that.

Edit: :lapras: That Weedle.... it's all coming together.... It's like poetry, it rhymes.

That's the case with literally every country in the world sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom