• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of different ways to make Pokemon open-world - it's just whether they can do it right or not (i'm not expecting it for Gen 8).

I definitely do believe a non-linear gym route can happen though - the possibilities really are endless. In a sense, it has already shown to be possible through other games that have introduced level scaling. Bringing that into the context of Pokemon games is one solution to the idea already.

This is why I believe nothing is impossible when creating games, you just need to know how first.

I think open world with some limitations would be best? The only games that really and truly do fully open world and get away with it are totally freeform games like Minecraft- which would be a ridiculous expectation for a pokemon game.

Pokemon is already semi-Open World and i doubt we get anything more than that, since its not gonna work.
XD Pokemon is not remotely open world, unless you count the freedom to backtrack. It's linear as heck with ridiculous obstacles preventing you from walking down the street in a city.

Yknow... pokemon titles always reflect the content of the game somehow. Gold/silver reflected ththe legendaries of johto and their key items, same for emerald/ruby/sapphire/DPP/BW; X&Y dictated the shape theme as well, sun and moon the lore...
Well, Gold and Silver were chosen before they made Lugia, so I doubt it in this case. Maybe its the opposite: They choose the names first and then they make the legendaries.

I don't know why but I'm not really a fan of some of these rumoured Pokemon names lol.

King and Queen, Noble and Regent, Crown and Sceptre (this one i don't mind ish). They kinda sound a bit forced to relate to UK politics (if the region is UK) in a sense?

Last edited:
I don't know why but I'm not really a fan of any of these rumoured Pokemon names lol.

King and Queen, Noble and Regent, Crown and Sceptre (this one i don't mind)... but they all just feel like forced names to try and relate to UK politics no?
Yeah. Usually, the game titles do not relate to what real world area the region is based on.

Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee already allow you to challenge gyms 3,4,5,6,7 in any order.

That can easily be expanded in a Gen 8 title.

It's such a shame in several cases. To name a recent example, I don't understand what makes Meltan and Melmetal better picks for Kanto than most of the unused designs. I do see how they're better picks for Go, though...

Well, I imagine a fair amount of it is just pure subjectivity - I'd guess that Game Freak just plain don't see in their own scrapped designs what some of us fans do.

I'm curious as to which scrapped Pokémon you have in mind. Personally speaking, while I'm ambivalent about Melmetal, I'm rather fond of Meltan (there's something about it I find oddly enigmatic), and there are only a handful of beta designs that I would resurrect if able - and I don't think any of those ones feel particularly "mythical."

That BS about it being an "ancient" pokemon, though... not so much.

How so? Just because it looks like a nut?

Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee already allow you to challenge gyms 3,4,5,6,7 in any order.
View attachment 115944
The problem isn’t in itself to allow gym to be challenged as we want, or to travel around as we please: it’s about the level scaling.

Is it possible to work on it to make it work? Certainly, and I’m not personally against it. I just don’t know if GF will be able to find a good solution.

View attachment 115944

Ummm... yes... but they don't lvl scale, which basically makes the not doing the gyms in order pointless, since you still need to grind and are way to overlevelled to take on gyms 3 and 4, because of the Saffron City gym requirement.

The problem isn’t in itself to allow gym to be challenged as we want, or to travel around as we please: it’s about the level scaling.

Is it possible to work on it to make it work? Certainly, and I’m not personally against it. I just don’t know if GF will be able to find a good solution.
Ummm... yes... but they don't lvl scale.

It's really not hard, they did similar with VS Seeker and the easy mode/regular mode/hard mode in B2W2.
They've even hinted at this in the Origins anime. The gym leader uses a team based on how many other badges you have.

Yknow... pokemon titles always reflect the content of the game somehow. Gold/silver reflected ththe legendaries of johto and their key items, same for emerald/ruby/sapphire/DPP/BW; X&Y dictated the shape theme as well, sun and moon the lore...

So like, what would crown and scepter imply? I dont think a crown or a scepter would say too much about a Pokemon in particular, neither could noble/regent. These names aren't very opposite either whereas every other title is a direct contrast to the other.

That's just my take anyway. I finally caught up to all 30 pages I missed and honestly tempted to post a Groudon again

Non-existent Pokemon. :p

Lots of titles aren't quite direct contrasts-a diamond isn't the opposite of a pearl (well, apart from SU canon), and platinum obviously can't be the opposite of either. I don't think Crown/Scepter are necessarily bad titles personally-the main strike against them is the promise that it would be revealed New Year's Day, and there's been nothing to show. (Even if the post said "or sometime later", eight weeks is a pretty big delay)

It's definitely possible, it's just a matter of getting the Pokemon levels in the player's party and averaging them. (or doing something else if they don't want an easy exploit) Fangames do it pretty often, and that's done with just RPGMaker XP-I'm sure the Switch would be able to handle it.

Having a non-linear gym order means that the gym leader you face must have the same levels as the skippable previous one to have a good balance, otherwise you could skip all of them and redo it later when your Pokemon are able to easily beat the gym leader's Pokemon and that's not a good idea.

The gym leader having a team fitting the badge count may be a solution, but then you still need to travel to them and the wild Pokemon + the trainer also must have the same system. And I doubt they would put that much effort into that when having a linear badge order is just fine. And then we have problems with the story, which then needs to be splitted up to proportions you can also choose the order rather than story bits building up to another.

Sorry but I just can't see it working.

I think they could do semi-open world, like the journey still goes in order, but the overworld in general feels more "open" like routes and cities are larger and more to scale
Agreed, this seems more likely to me, at least for now, then a full open world game.

I’m not against any type, howewer, as long as it’s well made.

That can also be done in RBY, but that looks more like an oversight than actual intention.

I don;t think so because you need the gym badges to use HMs in the earlier games, those requirements were removed for LGPE. So you can use Surf or whatever its called as soon as its obtained you don't need the gym badge from Fuschia like in previous games.

Kanto in the Johto revisit is also very open, you can largely challenge the gyms in any order you like apart from Viridian last.

That out-of-order playthrough is only made possible by skipping a Secret Technique in the first place, though. (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyGi_sfMPEE
shows how it was accomplished)

Even accepting that, it's still just linear gameplay without the gyms. The player still has to progress through the story and through the Kanto region the same way as they would otherwise, they're just not taking on gyms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom