• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so not that I do or do not believe that the Weedle tweet is a hint, but not matter how I look at it, something is weird about it...

Frankly, why is the lower half of the picture blurred out? I am pretty sure that is something someone would have to intentionally go out of their way to do... and if someone were to blur stuff out, why only do half and not all of it?

So, at the very least, we know some work/detail/care was put into the image and the tweet itself... I guess the question is why.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that don't involve any hints or rumors but hey, this is speculation thread. If all they wanted to show people was Weedle, then why not blurr out all the numbers/crop the photo? Why is it important to tweet out about a Pokemon like Weedle at all? He also claims it was his first time catching Weedle for a long time, but he has over 200 Weedle candy...

I'm not convinced it is a hint, but I do think it is all a bit odd.

Masuda likes to use that blur filter quite a bit...

It seems to just be his way of emphasizing the focal point of the image- which in weedle's case, is the weedle. XD As for why just not blur out everything else/crop the image- less work to just apply a filter? (which probably has its own limitations since it's a phone, not photoshop)

And Masuda has been playing Pokemon Go for years now- it's plenty possible to have 200+ candy for a species and not have seen one in a long time. Especially with the bombardment of events lately- weedle and caterpie were actually looking pretty rare for awhile.

Possible reason why he might be excited to see weedle in particular- it's one of the easiest pokemon to evolve. XD Easy EXP.

I think getting that Nintendo Direct this month helped a lot, because now we know a Pokemon one is not far off anymore.

Yup. This is what happens when you get actual news to discuss instead of just sitting behind a computer screen waiting for things to happen.

But then, I seem to recall you suggesting that a larger amount of new Pokémon should have been added in LGPE - and if that option were on the table, then I do think a beta salvage job would be more fitting. (Although, such a thing would almost certainly revolve more around designs like Crocky and Gorochu rather than Wolfman and Rinrin, yeah? Since the latter are more connected to Gold & Silver than Red & Green.)
Yes, although the likes of Madame would fit Kanto even though they didn't exist during Red and Green's development. As far as we know, anyway.

You know, considering that Masuda uses that blur filter to emphasize the focal point of the picture, I think it's safe to say that the 226 candies are definitely not a hint because the blur starts right on top of it. If it was important, he wouldn't have put the blur there.

I think one could argue that he might not want the hint to be the focal point. Isn't part of the fun of clues having to find them to begin with?

Masuda likes to use that blur filter quite a bit...

It seems to just be his way of emphasizing the focal point of the image- which in weedle's case, is the weedle. XD As for why just not blur out everything else/crop the image- less work to just apply a filter? (which probably has its own limitations since it's a phone, not photoshop)

And Masuda has been playing Pokemon Go for years now- it's plenty possible to have 200+ candy for a species and not have seen one in a long time. Especially with the bombardment of events lately- weedle and caterpie were actually looking pretty rare for awhile.

Possible reason why he might be excited to see weedle in particular- it's one of the easiest pokemon to evolve. XD Easy EXP.

Oh see I dont follow his tweets, so I didnt realize this was normal/a filter. But I do think it's odd he applied a filter on a photo that was a screenshot instead of a photo though. If he grinded weedle to evolve for exp he shouldnt have that much candy... 2/26 isnt so far away. I think it will be one of those "let's wait and see with a groundon in our pocket" kind of thing

Last edited:
I do hope that some sort of reveal happens in February, but I’m also prepared in the case we won’t get something.

It’d be perfect if GF tweets to follow Pokémon Day, or if Nintendo announces a Pokémon Direct so we won’t have to wait up to the last minute to know if something will happen.

Oh see I dont follow his tweets, so I didnt realize this was normal/a filter. But I do think it's odd he applied a filter on a photo that was a screenshot instead of a photo though. If he grinded weedle to evolve for exp he shouldnt have that much candy... 2/26 isnt so far away. I think it will be one of those "let's wait and see with a groundon in our pocket" kind of thing
Two of the tweets Oriden showed were also screenshots.

And if the 226 is what's important, why is it partially blurred in the photo?

View: https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/1096222887810293761

I dont know. I never said I believed in it. I just think we have had a news drought and 2/26 is so close from us anyway that i might as well keep my eyes peeled. If 2/26 turns out to be true we could look at the other potential meanings; if we get a Groudon on 2/26 we can dismiss it. I dont really see anything else we have going for us rn.

Also I replied earlier stating that I wasnt aware that masuda commonly blurred out pictures. Its still odd to apply a filter on a screenshot though

It could be disproved if we dont get anything for Pokemon Day : )

Honestly I wouldnt say it's TRUE of we got 2/27 over 2/26 because weedle is already pushing. I just think its an odd thing to tweet. Who gets excited over Weedle? I dont think the chances of someone who grinds weelde for experience would have 200 candy or someone who doesnt see it often enough would have 200 candies. Tweeting about weedle is the equivalent of tweeting about zubat or ratatata...

That's the main reason I'm suspicious tbh

It’d be perfect if GF tweets to follow Pokémon Day, or if Nintendo announces a Pokémon Direct so we won’t have to wait up to the last minute to know if something will happen.

Cool. Hope you like waiting until the day before for that Pokémon Direct, because those aren’t typically announced that far in advance.

It could be disproved if we dont get anything for Pokemon Day : )

Honestly I wouldnt say it's TRUE of we got 2/27 over 2/26 because weedle is already pushing. I just think its an odd thing to tweet. Who gets excited over Weedle? I dont think the chances of someone who grinds weelde for experience would have 200 candy or someone who doesnt see it often enough would have 200 candies. Tweeting about weedle is the equivalent of tweeting about zubat or ratatata...

That's the main reason I'm suspicious tbh
Masuda has been playing Go for years, though. Spawn rates in Go change all the time, so there was a time when weedle were plentiful and amassing 200+ candy was easy. And then there was a long period of time where events made them rare. Some events double the amount of candy you get for trading in your Pokémon, or for catching them. Your candy could easily stock up during an event period and then the Pokémon stops appearing for awhile so you've got no more to evolve.

The need to grind for experience also varies- sometimes you've got events that hand exp out like candy (snrk) and sometimes getting exp is a pain and it's nice to get a weedle that you can easily evolve twice at little cost. Rattata and zubat are okay, but they don't have low cost third stages.

This thing will never be really disproven by the community since we were already very likely to get something by Pokemon day, and thanks to bias those who want to believe in the 2/26 thing will think that it was a hint to information on the 27th.

As @Freak-Pokemon said, if nothing is revealed on Pokemon day that will prove the tweet was nothing.
If games are revealed, and they are something royal/regal or something to do with bugs (bug poision legend) that will prove the tweet was a hint.

Also 27th February in Japan is 26th February in the rest of the world due to time differences. Similarly 30th May in Japan is 29th May in the rest of the world.

As @Freak-Pokemon said, if nothing is revealed on Pokemon day that will prove the tweet was nothing.
If games are revealed, and they are something royal/regal or something to do with bugs (bug poision legend) that will prove the tweet was a hint.
If nothing was revealed on Pokémon day even though Pokémon day is the 27th, of course.

Also 27th February in Japan is 26th February in the rest of the world due to time differences. Similarly 30th May in Japan is 29th May in the rest of the world.
Only part of it-timezones are only hours apart, not entire days. For example, as I type this right now, it's past 2am in Japan on Feb 20th, but three hours ago, Japan was in 2/19 with the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom