• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wants to visit a place where only 4 near identical people walk around town on a set path for all eternity?

This makes me newly curious about what could happen with the supporting cast of the games in either Gen 8 or 9. At some point it would really become possible to give some of them very detailed programming that might allow them to generate their own routines randomly! (Certainly not to the point of any just walking around freely and getting stuck in corners).

It would be amazing for, when we entered a Pokemon center (as long as enough time had passed) there could be different cast members in there each time, including ones with interesting gifts, trade opportunities and stories! The same could be true for the towns and cities, although some characters and cast members would stay in relatively the same areas.

Perhaps this exact idea is too complex, but, something closer to this would add a very wonderful new dimension to the game experience! :) :)

Does anyone else feel like pokemon lost some charm when they moved to 3d?

The closer Pokemon moves to realism the more Pokemon loses its childhood magic honestly, but at the same time it needed to happen. Pokemon has always been far and behind most JRPG games as a franchise it does need to play catchup in a lot of regards. It couldnt use 2D sprites forever.

No matter what Gen 8 gives us, many will feel Pokemon isnt the same anymore.

Imagine if Gamefreak actually rendered cutscenes to be anime-styled - and that's what they were trying to hint at. A bit like on the new Fire Emblem. If the story was big enough to have proper dramatic cutscenes. That would be cool. It would suit a cell-shaded in game art style.

Or they could use some kind of name that doesn’t put the species inspiration on-your-face.

They’ve done such names before that either include a broader classification (‘simian’ in passimian) or names which do not reference any animal species at all.

Passimian takes references from Prosimian which is a group of primates that Lemurs belong to. They could do something like this with the Capybara and use a group or subgroup they belong to, problem solved.

The closer Pokemon moves to realism the more Pokemon loses its childhood magic honestly, but at the same time it needed to happen. Pokemon has always been far and behind most JRPG games as a franchise it does need to play catchup in a lot of regards. It couldnt use 2D sprites forever.

No matter what Gen 8 gives us, many will feel Pokemon isnt the same anymore.
The thing is, X/Y animations are pretty plain, and only have one animation for physical moves, and one for special moves. Maybe an extra one or two for signature moves. If they would have kept the style they had from Stadium to Battle Revolution things would look better.

The thing is, X/Y animations are pretty plain, and only have one animation for physical moves, and one for special moves. Maybe an extra one or two for signature moves. If they would have kept the style they had from Stadium to Battle Revolution things would look better.

Gamefreak didn't make Stadium, the shadow series or battle revolution, I kinda wish they would revisit some of the concepts from those games.

I really think Battle Revolution had the crispest style, but I think some attack animations were better in Colosseum such as Flamethrower for example, where its an actual stream of magma like fire instead of fire sprayed everywhere.

This makes me newly curious about what could happen with the supporting cast of the games in either Gen 8 or 9. At some point it would really become possible to give some of them very detailed programming that might allow them to generate their own routines randomly! (Certainly not to the point of any just walking around freely and getting stuck in corners).

It would be amazing for, when we entered a Pokemon center (as long as enough time had passed) there could be different cast members in there each time, including ones with interesting gifts, trade opportunities and stories! The same could be true for the towns and cities, although some characters and cast members would stay in relatively the same areas.

Perhaps this exact idea is too complex, but, something closer to this would add a very wonderful new dimension to the game experience! :):)
That would be fun. It would be even better if they have their own dialog instead of like the people in Castelia or Alola. I was kind of let down when you talked to them and all they did was say "hi" or "oops" and didn't have much else to say.

It would also be cool if like depending on the day, week, month, or total play time static NPCs had different dialog. Like for example the nickname example NPC talks about how little Feary the Spearow is about to evolve and then you come back to their house and it's evolved into a Fearrow and they tell you how big and strong it got and how it now pecks holes in the walls.

Also the fact they skipped Orange Islands means this countdown isnt strictly anime.

Last edited:
So it really looks like it's happening. I mean, while we also got a countdown last year, this one seems too convenient. We have 7 regions and they coincidentally started this tweet thing yesterday, leaving the actual Pokémon Day without a proper region. That's too suspicious.

1D38D341-ADBD-4AB2-9674-19FCFC5FE442.jpeg

Well if the region countdown does indeed end with the Gen 8 region on Pokémon Day, then even if the only other thing they reveal is the names and logos of the games, we should at least be able to deduce what place is the region is based on. I remember how the yellow emergency vehicles and the rainbow license plate was the biggest thing that tipped off that Alola was based on Hawaii, rather than just any old tropical island.

Remind me again how long was it before we actually got to see the map of Alola when SuMo was revealed?

So it really looks like it's happening. I mean, while we also got a countdown last year, this one seems too convenient. We have 7 regions and they coincidentally started this tweet thing yesterday, leaving the actual Pokémon Day without a proper region. That's too suspicious.
Well this is how countdowns work. No one can deny this is a countdown to pokemon day. There's even a pokemon day hashtag in the tweets. What we don't know if this actually means anything cause tpc has done several countdowns last year that brought to nothing at all. I mean, this could easly be a pokemon day countdown and not a gen 8 one.

@Velvet, Looks like it was in May. But they could just be releasing the region first this time. Or they plan on a big reveal like the first XY teaser where we knew Kalos was France this whole time.
Nah, don't expect any map. The coundown is simply a countdown, this time with all the regions. It doesn't really mean that if an announcement happens it will show the new region. An x/y-like trailer may include some shots of the new cities and routes but we will never get the whole region until later this year.

Ah okay. I was just curious seeing as I remember the map of Alola being revealed much later after SuMo was revealed, kinda thought and played with when the map for Gen 8 may get revealed or if they'd handle the reveal differently.

TPCi doesn't get much revenue for DVD sales, the distributors have more control about that. The Pokemon TV App got a major update today and the Twitch marathon isn't covering early seasons so it has to be about something else. I think they used anime footage so they could be more or less comparable to each other, and using game footage would lead people to get interested into 5-12 year old games.

Calling it now, the 3rd Version will be 4CHAN CHATTER.

Why not SEREBII CONFIRMED?

We also had Magearna revealed before Sun and Moon was announced, and they stretched her thin for a couple months to distract from the news gap before May. We don't really have anything this time around, so unless they're planning to run Mewtwo flat with not-news for a few months... they definitely gotta give more meat than they did with Sun and Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom