• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said around May. So I include April, BW2.
A whole month is a pretty strong difference. It's not like BW2 was introduced at the end of April, it was announced at the start.
Also did you even read what I said about SM? it should've been announced in May.
According to no one but yourself. Unless you work for Game Freak, I don't think we can take your opinion on a hypothetical situation.
Only 2 of 9 games weren't revealed on or after April.
Just because you think SuMo should have been revealed after April doesn't alter history so that it was. It's an undeniable fact that SuMo was revealed in February, making it 3/9 games that were revealed before April of their year. And DP were revealed a whole year before their release. It's hardly fair to say it should be included in the same category as the games announced mere months ahead of their release-the point was about whether games would be announced early or not.

Hmm, I am not sure I'd consider DP's 2004 reveal as any different than "Pokemon Switch" in 2017. The titles meant diddly squat and we had to wait more than 1.5 years for screenshots.

Did they advertise Xy and SM months after their reveal in Japan and other countries ?

I had to scroll very far for these:

Not exactly the same, but the USUM promotion kept going up until LGPE was announced.

It's also possible that Japan just now got the bundles so they probably need to advertise it to get the units out. It doesn't mean anything.

• DP-Announced in late 2004, pretty early for games that weren't expected to be released until 2005, and didn't get released until 2006.
  • Pt-Announced May 15
  • BW-Announced on April 9
  • BW2-Announced on Feb 26
  • XY-Announced on Jan 6
  • ORAS-Announced on May 7
  • SuMo-Announced Feb 26
  • USUM-Announced June 6
  • LGPE-Announced May 30
Of the past nine pairs of games, four were announced close to May, and five were announced at least a month before. May's certainly still a possibility, but to say that it's "total BS" to expect a game earlier or that 4/9 is "almost every Pokemon game" is just factually incorrect.
BW2 was a June release for Japan, of course it's revealed earlier. The 2019 games arent coming in June, and are without a doubt coming in November. Shouldn't really be on the list.

I had to scroll very far for these:

Not exactly the same, but the USUM promotion kept going up until LGPE was announced.

It's also possible that Japan just now got the bundles so they probably need to advertise it to get the units out. It doesn't mean anything.

This is different. Probably let's go promotion will keep going till gen 8 is released or a couple of months before that, but I don't think that promoting it the day before gen 8 should be announced would be a smart move.

Also worth noting that when Sun/Moon were announced during February, there was no game that released in 2015, so they didnt have to worry about cutting the game's legs short.

In this instance, we have LGPE, which can still sell some more.

This is different. Probably let's go promotion will keep going till gen 8 is released or a couple of months before that, but I don't think that promoting it the day before gen 8 should be announced would be a smart move.
Well, it's also Pokemon Day coming up, so it's a good time to promote everything Pokemon- and like... what difference does it really make? We've still got months before we can play Gen 8, so it's not like LGPE and Gen 8 are competing, and encouraging people to go out and buy the game that they can actually play now isn't going to do them any damage.

Whether they choose the Pokémon Day or not to reveal the games, I think that due to the importance of these titles they deserve a proper Pokémon Direct to be announced, so we should get a Direct announcement very soon if it's really happening that day.

Would people actually be content with just a title reveal, and then nothing else significant till May? I suppose it would put some of the "royal rumors" to rest (or fuel them depending).

BW2 was a June release for Japan, of course it's revealed earlier. The 2019 games arent coming in June, and are without a doubt coming in November. Shouldn't really be on the list.
I don't see how you can say for certain that the game would be released in November, as opposed to October like XY or September like BW, but let's go ahead compare the games that were released in November.
  • SuMo-Announced Feb 26
  • USUM-Announced June 6
  • LGPE-Announced May 30
(That's literally all of them. DP, Pt, and BW were all released in September, and XY was released in October)

In this scenario, yes, most of the games are announced in May. But they're also all remakes or third versions. I don't think it makes sense to argue that we should only be looking at these kinds of games when we know that the 2019 games will be a new generation like BW, XY, and SuMo.

Well, it's also Pokemon Day coming up, so it's a good time to promote everything Pokemon- and like... what difference does it really make? We've still got months before we can play Gen 8, so it's not like LGPE and Gen 8 are competing, and encouraging people to go out and buy the game that they can actually play now isn't going to do them any damage.
There's a reason if they delete some of the previous directs before a new announcement, because they don't want old marketing campaigns to interfere with the new ones. I'm not saying they will stop promoting let's go games but promoting them a day before the new announcement is not a smart move from my pov. There's litterally no reason for them to not have waited till the first week of march or so if they want to announce gen 8 tomorrow or the day after. This looks weird guys, that's what I honestly think right now.

I don't see how you can say for certain that the game would be released in November, as opposed to October like XY or September like BW, but let's go ahead compare the games that were released in November.
  • SuMo-Announced Feb 26
  • USUM-Announced June 6
  • LGPE-Announced May 30
(That's literally all of them. DP, Pt, and BW were all released in September, and XY was released in October)

In this scenario, yes, most of the games are announced in May. But they're also all remakes or third versions. I don't think it makes sense to argue that we should only be looking at these kinds of games when we know that the 2019 games will be a new generation like BW, XY, and SuMo.
Well, I'm not certain of the games launching in November. They could be October too. But November is most likely by far. Pokemon has had the week before Black Friday on lockdown for the games (even in 2015, Super Mystery Dungeon filled that void). That's five straight years of a pokemon game launching a week before black friday (2014-2018).

Sun/Moon I think were revealed early because:
A) 20th Anniversary of Pokemon was on that year, so it would fit to announce the game on that day.
B) The preceding year, 2015, had no mainline pokemon game, so they didnt have to worry about cutting the game's legs short.

There's a reason if they delete some of the previous directs before a new announcement, because they don't want old marketing campaigns to interfere with the new ones. I'm not saying they will stop promoting let's go games but promoting them a day before the new announcement is not a smart move from my pov. There's litterally no reason for them to not have waited till the first week of march or so if they want to announce gen 8 tomorrow or the day after. This looks weird guys, that's what I honestly think right now.

The pokemon marketing schedule is honestly really out of whack sometimes like in this situation. There's countless ways it could be improved and they often seem to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

It's probably better that they promote it while we've got nothing better to focus on than to try to promote them while everyone is focused on the next generation, though?

Don't know if they don't count because they were early releases but I'm including them anyway:

GS: Apparently March/April 1997? I don't know if MicroProse works/worked like Corocoro.
Ruby/Sapphire: March 2001? I can't find a clear date, but that was when they revealed Wailmer, Kecleon and Azurill.
FireRed/LeafGreen: August 2003, from what I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom