• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, it could be Postman Dragonite, I don’t think we’ve had merch shown for it yet, but there’s definitely going to be merch for it according to Pokeshopper.

The last direct was announced at 7:30pm where I am (in Sri Lanka), which is in just under ten hours. I think if we’re getting it today (the 25th), that’d be our best bet.

Edit: My bad, the Takara Tomy figure is referred to as “Mewtwo-related”, so it’s probably another Armoured Mewtwo, rather than Postman Dragonite
Well the "new Pokémon" figure is also listed as being small... Pokémon A is most likely armored mewtwo but the new Pokémon wouldn't be the same thing as Pokémon A and I don't know how likely it is that postman Dragonite would be a "small" figure so I figure that Pikachutwo would be the next most boring candidate. XD

Unless it's baby mewtwo. I suppose that could count as a new "form" too.

The pokemon marketing schedule is honestly really out of whack sometimes like in this situation. There's countless ways it could be improved and they often seem to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

I've always considered the marketing schedule of Pokémon to be one of the best examples in the game industry. I know it's a bit off-topic, but just out of curiosity, how do you think it could be improved? What are the mistakes you are talking about?

Edit - (Best*)

I've always considered the marketing schedule of Pokémon to be one of the better examples in the game industry. I know it's a bit off-topic, but just out of curiosity, how do you think it could be improved? What are the mistakes you are talking about?

The Pokemon schedule somehow manages to have annoying droughts as well as ends up giving ‘too much information’ at the same time.

So maybe giving information at regular intervals without drought periods, while keeping the overall amount of information revealed the same would be an improvement.

Just little over two hours to go before we might hear anything about the potential Pokemon Direct announcement.

The Pokemon schedule somehow manages to have annoying droughts as well as ends up giving ‘too much information’ at the same time.

So maybe giving information at regular intervals without drought periods, while keeping the overall amount of information revealed the same would be an improvement.

Well, about the "too much information" thing, that can be bad for some people (I also don't like it), but it's relative. They convince more people to buy the games that way (which is the purpose of marketing).

About periods of drought, I believe they all had a reason to have happened. But there have been many periods (I mean, are you talking about the pre-release of Sun and Moon, about the break years, or about some other?), So it would be hard to discuss this, we would have to review it one by one.

About periods of drought, I believe they all had a reason to have happened. But there have been many periods (I mean, are you talking about the pre-release of Sun and Moon, about the break years, or about some other?), So it would be hard to discuss this, we would have to review it one by one.

I meant the ‘nothing till May’ thing Sun/Moon decided to do.

Having evenly paced reveals would keep desperation at a minimum from fans and would make the information bursts more bearable.

I've always considered the marketing schedule of Pokémon to be one of the best examples in the game industry. I know it's a bit off-topic, but just out of curiosity, how do you think it could be improved? What are the mistakes you are talking about?

Edit - (Best*)

The modern era has complete drought periods, no word or real communication from the company for months on end then you get bombarded with a much needed reveal which is good, then you get more drought periods after the initial tease followed by a season of constant in your face updates until release which are fairly hard to avoid. It clearly brings in the money as sales have showcased but they literally reveal everything about the game before release.

I do wish they would withhold some info or Pokémon.

I will give Pokémon credit, they are on the ball with their social media game once the reveals do happen.

I meant the ‘nothing till May’ thing Sun/Moon decided to do.

Having evenly paced reveals would keep desperation at a minimum from fans and would make the information bursts more bearable.

I see. As I've said here once, I don't believe games with short marketing periods necessarily mean less content or less advancements. But regarding Sun and Moon, I think that may have been the case. The games didn't show a significant graphic advance like other generation starter games. And there may have been other reasons. Of course, unless they say something about (unlikely) we will never know the real reasons because we didn't work at TPC.

But thinking of Sun and Moon's pre-release marketing campaign in retrospect, and knowing the content of the game (now that we've played them), I think it would be difficult to have extended the campaign beyond May. What else could we put in the trailers? They basically revealed everything important before the release, excluding only the battle against Lusamine and other minor things.

The modern era has complete drought periods, no word or real communication from the company for months on end then you get bombarded with a much needed reveal which is good, then you get more drought periods after the initial tease followed by a season of constant in your face updates until release which are fairly hard to avoid. It clearly brings in the money as sales have showcased but they literally reveal everything about the game before release.

I do wish they would withhold some info or Pokémon.

I will give Pokémon credit, they are on the ball with their social media game once the reveals do happen.

As a player, I understand what you mean, as I've said here before, I also hope they stop spoiling everything from the game before the release. But as you yourself said, "it clearly bring in the money". Isn't that the purpose of marketing, to begin with? So whether it will be subjectively good or subjectively bad will be relative. But it doesn't mean that they are making mistakes.

About the "no word or real communication from the company part", I don't understand what do you mean. We already had several means communicating to us that the game will be out this year. They will show us when they find it more convenient according to the marketing plan they set up.

Not talking about you specifically, but I get the impression that some people think it's Masuda or some other developer who manages the games marketing, and obviously it's not. There are TPC/TPCi/Nintendo professionals who manage that. Game Freak probably doesn't even care about that part, they're just the developers. So, we're talking about professionals here. I know that as players we may not like the practical results of how it works for us (like the game being spoiled before the release), but I think that the marketing of Pokémon as a whole is brilliant, and the ability that it has to excite the community each time shows us that.

Last edited:
Reading some of the frustrated reactions and the daily disappointment all around, it's kind of sad to me and makes me not want to keep up with this thread anymore. I would like to see news on the upcoming games as much as anyone here, but getting angry at GF, Masuda or TPC won't make the information come out any sooner. In contrast, that negative attitude might only make the wait feel longer. I think this announcement is something to look forward to, not something to be let down by every day.

Reading some of the frustrated reactions and the daily disappointment all around, it's kind of sad to me and makes me not want to keep up with this thread anymore. I would like to see information on the upcoming games as much as anyone here, but getting angry at GF, Masuda or TPC won't make the information come out any sooner. In contrast, that negative attitude might only make the wait feel longer. I think this announcement is something to look forward to, not something to be let down by every day.
I think you're grossly misinterpreting the so-called negativeness here.

I mean, I would agree with you if it were the case, but it isn't.

If they take the same marketing approach they did with Sun and Moon, maybe a later reveal isn't a bad thing. It would certainly shorten the wait time between news drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom