• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But not being open world doesn't mean that the game is not at the level of BOTW (from what King Zell said), these games are promoted among people who work at Nintendo as the BOTW of Pokemon. This and what Joe says cannot really fit together...am I wrong?
I think you're forgetting that no matter what the games look like, there is going to be a group of loud complainers for no good reason?

But not being open world doesn't mean that the game is not at the level of BOTW (from what King Zell said), these games are promoted among people who work at Nintendo as the BOTW of Pokemon. This and what Joe says cannot really fit together...am I wrong?

They can. As you said, not being open world doesn't mean that the game is not at the level of Botw. At the same time, the team that worked on these games was much smaller than the one that worked on Botw, and the development time was also shorter, so I do not expect a Botw, but I still expect a lot from these games.

Well, we don't want the new pokemon games to be linear (or, at least, not as linear as recently) so that could be the thing that makes gen 8 special. We finally get less linear.
Well, in the case of them, it was a return to norm after the Galaxy and 3D World games were frickin' linear. The levels in Mario Galaxy 2 are even in a line!

Pokemon super mystery dungeon was called "the definitive pokemon mystery dungeon game" (on the back of the box, no less), so I kind of got the impression that it was the final one.

It can. As you said, not being open world doesn't mean that the games is not at the level of Botw. At the same time, the team that worked on this game was probably much smaller than the one that worked on Botw, and the development time was also shorter, so I do not expect a Botw, but I still expect a lot from these games.
That's ok. But when you saw Mario or BOTW didn't you really think: "This is not like any other Mario or Zelda games"? I mean saying that it's a normal pokemon game feels like you see a traditional pokemon game on the switch and that would be not good at all, not because it should be open world but because we are on a totally different console from the past. I want a game that was created for the switch not a traditional game adapted to the switch like Let's go.

When I saw oddysey I thought the exact opposite of that. I thought "this is a normal mario game with a fun gimmick."

In my case, when I saw Oddysey, I saw it as a good game after being disappointed by the last non-RPG Mario games I played: Galaxy 2 was too much linear after liking Sunshine and 64, and New Super Mario Bros. 2, a game where you could not get a Game Over without trying. This comes from someone that sucks at platformers, so seeing one where I could not lose was surprising.

That's ok. But when you saw Mario or BOTW didn't you really think: "This is not like any other Mario or Zelda games"? I mean saying that it's a normal pokemon game feels like you see a traditional pokemon game on the switch and that would be not good at all, not because it should be open world but because we are on a totally different console from the past. I want a game that was created for the switch not a traditional game adapted to the switch like Let's go.

I think Joe is only saying that because some people will never be satisfied, and others are expecting too much. But he's always saying that. I don't think it means he saw the games or something.

Last edited:
I saw a dynamic camera, several immersive worlds, open world environment, new mechanics, a lot of risks. Guys we are not getting Pokemon Breath of the wild for sure and I seriously know that. But having the usual game, with a fixed camera in a linear region where you have to battle 8 gyms and then the league is kinda lazy for the console it is released on. I stopped playing Let's Go after 4 days. It's a 70 dollars game, it cannot simply be a 40 dollars game with better graphics.

To me, at least, I can say that I didn't really think that, at least not about Odyssey. I couldn't say for BotW because it's only the third Zelda game I've played and the others were handheld games, but with Odyssey, I can say that it certainly had a different atmosphere than the recent 3D Mario games, but at the end of the day, I thought it was in the same boat as Sunshine (a game I adore, one of my all time favorites, in fact, and if you don't like it, just know that the comparison is from my perspective, so if you thought they were nothing alike, that's okay, too ;u; ). To me, the games being a "natural progression" from one gen to the next like we've gotten before is completely accurate to what I'm expecting-- Sun and Moon already started to take away the grid-based layout and design of regions, which is a step up and will probably be furthered in the new game. They seemed to put a lot of focus on the story, which I kind of expect to happen progressively more in most RPG series, the lore behind the region was amped up (ghost girl side quest in USUM, for example) which I'd also expect to be expanded upon. I'm not expecting it to suddenly shift away from being a game about collecting 'mons and badges or crystals, and I'm not expecting to travel wherever I want to go at any point, but I am expecting it to change at least as much as the previous gens have changed from each other. But that's just what I'm thinking.

It's going to take all my willpower not to be on my phone during lunch lol but probably by the time I get home spoilers will be everywhere.
My class starts at the same time as the Direct, so my plan to avoid spoilers is to pull of the Official Pokemon Youtube Channel before I go and leave it up, then refresh the page when I get home so no other channels have a chance to spoiler-thumbnail me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom