• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Generation I-VIII Travelog Thread

Well, as I said a little while back, my relative gave me yet another gift: Pokemon Shield. I swear, the man must be psychic or something, as I was planning on getting Shield around the Christmas holidays, but he sent me over a brand-new copy. Sheesh, he's getting a bit too generous. So, now I can play Shield, which is what I've been doing for a while (though Thanksgiving and Christmas tree hunting did eat up some time). Anyway, I won't bore you with all that I've done, so I'll give you the brief version.

Got Scorbunny as my starter (what a surprise) and managed to beat Milo, Nessa, and Kabu, catching a Shellos (now Gastrodon), Croagunk (been wanting to raise one for a while now), a Hattenna (now Hattrem), hatching a Snom Egg (now a Frosmoth), and even obtaining a Rookidee with its HA in a Max Raid Battle (now a Corviknight). Beat the snot out of all of my rivals and are now in Stow-and-Side. I've been spending some time catching whatever I can, as well as trading over version exclusives with my Sword version (this particular Shield playthrough is on my Switch Lite, which I felt was fitting, since both are from the same relative). Still haven't caught a Galarian Corsola (keep getting stuck with snowstorms in the area where you catch it, so it won't spawn until I get overcast instead), but I'm making my way to Allister soon enough. Also spent some time in Camp to raise the affection levels of my Mons, with everyone now in the mid/upper 30's as a result. Will play some more later once my Switch Lite recharges. My team is as followed:

Flare the Cinderace
Nevermore the Corviknight
Snow White the Frosmoth
Slick the Gastrodon
Junko the Croagunk
Bewitched the Hattrem

I just completed the game last yesterday.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the game. The latter half went through at a far too brisk pace, but the general exploration of the overworld and how the story progressed was fun.

I was very pleased with the battle with Eternatus, the way the battle went was really fun and very different. I like that there’s a real connection with the legendary.

Leon was quite challenging in that my team struggled a bit with some of the surprise advantages his team had. Iron Tail took Grimmsnarl out in one hit, and an unexpected flamethrower almost took out Corviknight.

Charizard was actually worrying for a second, I foolishly thought Intelleon would wipe it out in one move. Charizard knocked me out with a great strategy.

In the post game now trying to catch as many as I can to come up with the perfect Champion team.

Okay, made some double progress in both Sword and Shield today. Though because most of Sword's "progress" was just catching new Mons for the dex, I won't bother posting my catches, though I will say I'm now at the 302 Mon mark. Still need a few more version exclusives and the other starters, but I'm making good progress in completing the dex. Also managed to win a few more 5-Star Max Raid Battles and such. Now, onto Shield.

I decided it was time to face Allister. My God, was he forgettable and bland. Not as bad as the Kanto or Kalos leaders, but the whole "shy-person-behind-a-mask" shtick is rather meh. Plus, one more factor that I didn't like was that his ace was Gengar. I hate that thing, as it always gets glorified via new gimmicks, mainly thanks to its creator's pet status. There were much more deserving Ghosts that could've benefited from G-Max, like Spiritomb or Dusknoir, but nooooo, it had to be Gengar again. I could rant on more about my hatred of Gengar, but that would be counterproductive in this post. Anyway, beat Allister real easy. Only Cursola gave me problems, since I wasn't sure how to approach it, but everything else was cakewalk, topping it off with Flare one-shotting G-Max Gengar with his Pyro Ball-fueled Max Flare. Also, Junko the Croagunk evolved just after the battle into Toxicroak, allowing me to teach him X-Scissor for the upcoming fight.

Anyway, once again I beat the snot out of Bede, along with watching karma biting him where the sun doesn't shine for attacking the historical site. Got some story elements and moved on to the next Gym. I spent a lot of time searching for Mons in Glimmerwood Tangle, especially ones like Galarian Ponyta, since it's a version exclusive. After collecting all the goodies from the next town, I went to Opal's Gym. This time I got all the answers right, including the "favorite color" trick question and the one that I didn't get last time in Sword because I won before she could ask it (the "what's her age" question). For the most part, Flare, Nevermore, and Junko did the heavy lifting, with Nevermore doing the most work (along with D-Maxing during the final round). Overall, beat her and got my badge/TM, then returned to Hammerlocke. Sheesh, Opal, couldn't you find someone a little less... prickly, for your successor? Oh, well, at least I know he'll go through a humiliation conga in Fairy boot camp until the next time I see him, so I guess it's okay. Bought all the TMs from the third Pokemon Center, battled Hop on Route 7, caught a bunch of new Mons, and made it to the sixth Gym town, where I stopped for the night. Will continue on tomorrow, since I've been snowed in from a recent storm, so I won't have much else to do. That's all folks!

I did try to post some pics of my final team but files were too big.

It was a tough decision on my first playthrough so I ended up rotating between 8 Pokemon.

My final team and mostly throughout the game also was/is:
  • Rillaboom
  • Toxtricity
  • Obstagoon
  • Centiskorch
  • Corviknight
  • Arctozolt
  • Grimmsnarl
  • Runerigus

For my Shield playthrough I'll be starting with Sobble for sure, but I did adore playing through with the Grookey line, probably one of my favourite grass starters ever now.

I finally decided to take on Leon. Thanks to spending time completing as much of the Pokedex as I could, my team was a little over-levelled for the battle and we won without any difficulty.

My final team ended up as Cinderace, Bolthund, Hatterene, Frosmoth, Grapploct and Cursola.

I then followed the post-game story with the two weirdos (hated them so much, they were so annoying), but it was great to revisit (most of) the Gyms again. Although it was pretty short, it was nice to have the Gym Leaders do a little more and have some more interaction. Particularly Allister, who I thought was a bit forgetful as a character.

I battled through the first few levels of the Battle Tower in order to unlock the Judge function so I can start breeding some Pokemon that are a bit more suited for competitive battling.
I bred a female Ralts, Modest nature, and with the Trace ability. Doing lots of Max Raid battles, she is now a Level 100 Gardevoir with:
HP 277 (Hyper Trained)
Attack 150 (Best)
Defense 166 (Best)
Sp. Attack 383 (Best)
Sp. Defense 268 (Best)
Speed 256 (Hyper Trained).
And her moves are Psychic, Moonblast, Shadow Ball and Calm Mind, and she is holding the Wise Glasses.
Sorry for the in-depth rundown, I've never done anything like this before by myself and I think she turned out great, so I'm super excited!

Now I'm really just trying to complete the Pokedex, I have seen 393 and caught 378. I'm really just missing a few version exclusives (like the Seedot, Gothita and Darumaka families, plus Stonjourner and Zacian). I've been doing lots of Max Raid battles and Surprise Trades, but unfortunately no luck in actually obtaining anything I need. So I figured I would start my playthrough of Sword and get what I need in preparation for Pokemon Home coming out.

Right now, I've just arrived in the Wild Area and have Drizzile and Dottler on my team.
Also, I noticed something neat, at the start of the game when I first visited Sonia's lab, she didn't have any cushions or such but at the end she has some in the same colours Opal and Bede wear.

Didn't get as much done as I wanted to today, thanks to getting a bad migraine around 11 AM, so I spent most of the day in trying to sleep it off after taking my migraine meds (keyword: trying. Results: utterly failed). But I did do something noteworthy.

After doing a bit more catching, I went to challenge the Ice Gym. Fortunately, since I was a bit more familiar with the Gym's layout thanks to my previous Sword run, I didn't fall into as many pitfalls as before. That being said, I still fell into a fair few, especially in the "whiteout" section (at least the sandstorm section in the Rock counterpart is a bit easier to see in), but at least it wasn't as many as the first time around. Around that time, Bewitched finally evolved into her final form, just before the Gym Battle itself, giving me my full team right when I needed it.

Then came the Gym Battle with Melony itself. I have a hard time figuring out why people find her so fixated with her (especially in certain communities like DA), other than the "melon" jokes about her bust. Guess I'm just not a thicc lover (probably because it reminds me of my own weight issues... damn those early psych meds and their brutal side-effects...). Anyway, despite it being my favorite type, the Gym Battle was relatively normal. Junko the Toxicroak proved to be the main fighter (Flare did open things up, but I didn't want to depend on him all the time). The only Mon that really gave me trouble was Esicue. I had heard that its ability was resistant to physical attacks, but special attacks cut right through it, so I went with Bewitched. That round turned into a stalling match, as I didn't expect it to have Amnesia in its arsenal. Spent most of the time using Calm Mind + Life Dew to stall it and Hail out while chipping away at it with Psybeam and Dazzling Gleam. What really got my Gogoat was how frequently that penguin Mon managed to inflict the freakin' FREEZE status on Bewitched, forcing me to use a few turns thawing her out. Eventually, with some patience, I managed to not only beat Skipper's long-lost cousin, but outlasted the Hail for the final round. I was tempted to use Flare, but then I remembered that Melony's ace was a Lapras, which is part Water, so I went with Junko and his Dry Skin ability. Proved to be the right choice. D-Max Junko managed to deal some heavy damage to G-Max Lapras with one Brick Break-powered Max Knuckle, gaining the Attack boost, while Lapras ended up wasting its turn by trying to use Max Geyser, which utterly flopped thanks to Dry Skin. One more Max Knuckle later and it was over. Got my badge and TM and moved on from there.

After that, went to Bob's Your Uncle (I always get a chuckle out of that name) with Sonia and Hop for more story elements, then had another battle with Hop, with him finally going back to his old team and getting out of his depression. While I like Hop, his cockiness always grated on my nerves, but he does get good character development in these games. After that I stopped because my migraine was starting to rear its ugly mug and pretty much disabled me for the rest of the day. Hopefully I can get a bit more done tomorrow. Until then.

I'm playing Pokemon Shield still, I've been taking my time and have spent a lot of time in the Wild Area. Anyway, I just took on Melony at the Circhester Gym. She really wasn't that challengeing..

I don't remember if it was caught in the Wild Area or obtained through a trade, but I have a Throh that was level 40 that knows Circle Throw, Storm Throw, Vital Throw, and Seismic Toss. So I took advantage of it, and I sent him out first had Throh use Circle Throw to rotate out all of Melony's Pokemon and damage them. He took care of 2/4 of her Pokemon. I used Cinderace to finish Eiscue, and when she sent out Lapras, I sent out Drednaw. I dynamaxed him and with the dynamax rock move, took out her Lapras in two turns.

So now I'm probably going back to the Wild Area to do more max raids. I like getting the TR's and items that I can sell for high money (and then buy the TM moves I want).

Drednaw with the strong jaw ability is actually my favorite Pokemon to use - it gives a boost to Ice Fang and other biting moves, plus with liquidation or waterfall, and a decent powered rock move, it has great type coverage. *steps off soapbox*

Ignoring the curries made from the version exclusive Bob's Food Tin, I've completed the currydex in Shield to the fullest of my capabilities. It's a bit disappointing that I can't finish the whole thing. Hopefully they'll do an event in the future where they distribute the exclusive ingredients.

Ignoring the curries made from the version exclusive Bob's Food Tin, I've completed the currydex in Shield to the fullest of my capabilities. It's a bit disappointing that I can't finish the whole thing. Hopefully they'll do an event in the future where they distribute the exclusive ingredients.
I had no idea that the food tins were version exclusive items. I have a similar problem with bach's food tin.

Wait... there is version exclusive CURRY INGREDIENTS?! Okay, that's taking the whole "version exclusive" shtick a bit too far. Right up there with version exclusive colors for customization options in the past gen. Glad I didn't bother with the Curry Dex or I'd be wondering why I don't have all the the recipes.

Anyway, finally, after much procrastination (and Mon hunting, which is the same thing in the Poke-world), I finally did, and finished, the post-game story in Sword. My God, Swordward and Shieldbert were even more annoying than Hop's arrogance during the main game, and they were probably the closest to being actual "villains" for the games. Plus, those absurd hairdos. I've seen crazy anime hair before (Yugi comes to mind), but those two take the concept and run with it to the end zone, even for Pokemon standards. But it made beating the stuffing out of them more enjoyable. And I liked having Piers join up for this little mission, especially since he spent a lot of time snarking at the situation. And we finally see the conclusion of Hop's character arc, and, for the first in Pokemon's history, the jerk rival actually did something USEFUL by GIVING Hop that character development. Guess miracles do happen.

Anyway, after doing all those events I caught Zacian (though I did have to soft-reset the first time, as I got a Timid nature at first), and, as a result, finally retired Dusty for Zacian. Normally, I have a "no legendary" rule, but since the two-pair cover legend is actually in the post-game, with the third Legendary taking center stage instead, it kinda mitigates that. Plus, well, I like wolves, so I wanted Zacian around. Fought Hop one last time and, for the first time, it wasn't a total curbstomp battle. Ironically enough, his Dubwool and Rillaboom actually proved their worth this time around, with, obviously, Zamazenta throwing its weight around. Sure, I still won without having a single Mon faint, but it was Hop's best effort to date. And so ends the tale of Galar's greatest champion in history. That's all folks!

Got Pokémon Sword.

I started with Sobble named Dover.
Caught a Rookidee called Storm and a Yamper called Lightning.
Went to the Wild Area and got beat by a level 26 Onix.
Ran around the Wild Area and collected watts.
Caught Charred the Sizzlipede.
Dover and Storm evolve.
Started the Gym Challenge.
Won against Milo with Charred and Storm.
Caught Strike the Farfetch'd and she evolved.
Beat Nessa and Kabu.
Caught Silicobra called Quicksand.

Last edited:
After finally receiving the game and a Switch Lite(!!!) yesterday, I started the game this morning. I am now Natalie, the basic SwSh female character. (I have to say, out of all the basic player characters, SwSh’s are my favorites, especially the female). I accompany my good friend Hop (who expresses his excitement quite similarly to a trainer from Alola we saw on t.v (Hau was his name)) to pick up his brother, Leon. Leon is the undefeatable Champion with a powerful Charizard by his side (and he will not let you forget it). Leon has brought some Pokémon with him, Pokémon he intends to give to us. The Grass Pokémon Grookey, a cute playful monkey that likes to climb, the Fire Pokémon Scorbunny, a cute hyperactive rabbit that loves to run, and of course the Water type Sobble, a cute but easily scared chameleon that likes to swim. At first, I consider choosing Scorbunny, the one that is looking at Hop and I with such eagerness, following my every move, but then I notice Grookey. Unlike Scorbunny and Sobble who watch us eagerly, Grookey, while smiling, just seems like it wants this to be over, a Pokémon who has been denied of a loving trainer and a warm home. It is then I decide to pick Grookey. There is no denying it’s (or his) happiness as Grookey leaps into my arms, giving me a high five. I name him Sarunori. Hop picks the Sobble and Leon takes in the Scorbunny. We then celebrate Leon’s return and our newfound friendship with a barbecue.

The next morning, Sarunori and I have our first battle against Hop. A series of Scratches take out his Wooloo and a tap of Grookey’s stick knocks out Sobble. However after the battle, we discover one of the baby Wooloo from the flock Hop got his first Pokémon from have gotten past the fence and ran off into the mysterious and dangerous Slumbering Weald. Hop and I search through the Weald cautiously, Sarunori taking out any Skwovets and Rookidee that come at us. Eventually we reach an extremely foggy patch. As we look around, an extremely scarred red wolf appears before us. Sarunori comes out to defend us but none of his attacks do anything. Everything goes white and the next thing I know, Hop and I are lying on the ground, Sarunori watching over us worriedly. That wolf must’ve knocked us out. Fortunately Leon arrives seconds later, the escaped Wooloo in tow. After scolding us, Charizard leads us all out of the Weald. I talk to my mother and she gifts me my dad’s special Meowth.

I head out on Route 1 where I catch BaaBaa the Wooloo, Sir Dinadin the Rookidee, and Darkheart the Nickit before getting back to Wedgehurst and meeting up with Leon and his associate, Professor Assistant Sonia and her adorable little Yamper. From there, I take my team to the Pokémon Center and then we head down Route 2 to Professor Magnolia’s house where we capture and battle many Pokémon (including several trainer battles). We reach her house and Hop and I have to battle each other to prove to Leon we can take on the Gym Challenge. The combined efforts of Darkheart and YIYIYEE!!! the Chewtle take down Wooloo, Sarunori sweeps through Sobble, and Meowth defeats his newly acquired Rookidee with ease. Just as we receive our letters of endorsement, something dashes across the sky and lands in Magnolia’s yard. Wishing Stars! With our letters and shiny new Dynamax bands in hand, Hop and I head back to the train station. I catch a Yamper and a Purrloin along the way and stop by the local botique then we’re off.

The train has to stop because of a Wooloo crossing so Hop and I get off the train to explore the Wild Area. It’s getting dark so after gathering some ingredients and Berries for dinner, I set up camp and spend the rest of the night playing with my Pokémon.

Thus ends Day 1 of my Galar adventure.

So I’m up to a little over 330 Pokémon registered in my Pokédex, with my most recent addition being a Laprus.

I just started a second play through of Shield, this time as a female character. My aim is to not use any Pokémon I actively used frequently in the 1st run through.

Currently about to hit Turfield with:

Raboot Lvl 17
Sneasel Lvl 20
Roselia Lvl 17
Cutiefly Lvl 20

Sneasel and Cutiefly were both Max Raid mons.

I wasn’t able to do much today but I was able to make some progress.

Day 2 of my Galar adventure begins in the Pokémon Camp where I cook up some (moderately) delicious Spicy Pasta Curry for my team’s breakfast. As we eat, Sarunori and Sir Dinadin have an enjoyable discussion about their hopes and dreams. Sarunori wants to see a lot of different places while Sir Dinadin wants to continue to get stronger and someday evolve! I’m glad to see that they’re starting to get along with each other. After taking down the camp, I walk around the Wild Area collecting Berries from the trees and Watts from the glowing dens. One of the dens contains a Blipbug that Sir Dinadin, a fellow Dhelmise, and two Pokémon I can’t recall sweeps through with Max Airstream. The Blipbug was a pretty good capture (at lvl 20!!!) but the greatest thing to come from that raid was a TR X-Scissor. This is something I’m going to need for a future Pokémon so I’m really happy about that. During our exploration, we came across a field of Stufful. The first one we encountered was pretty easy to catch, a lvl 12 male I named Baby Bear (mostly for a friend) The next one though got us in quite a tough spot but eventually I was able to escape to heal my team. I then went back in hopes of catching a female Stufful (fans of the SM anime will recognize why). It took a while but I was finally able to find a female Stufful and boy can I tell you she was a strong one! First off, it was already lvl 15, one level higher than Sarunori. And even after Bolteleta (my Yamper) paralyzed her with Nuzzle, she continued to escape every Pokéball thrown at her and took out Bolteleta, Sarunori, Sir Dinadin, and Meowth (was hoping to use Fake Out to my advantage) in quick succession. It wasn’t until I sent out YIYIYEE!!! and was down to nine Pokéballs that I was finally able to catch her, Kiteruguma the powerhouse Stufful! From then on, we had a new team member and I learned a valuable lesson about the Wild Area; always have a Pokémon with Run Away on you there (thus BaaBaa was back on the team). From there on our travel to Motostoke was pretty uneventful; we collected up some Watts, shook some Berry trees, found new areas, battled and caught some wild Pokémon, collected ingredients for curry, I took some pictures of some of the powerful Pokémon walking around (Mudsdale, Bewear, Corviknight, Liepard), we even battled some Breeders.

After one more round of curry (where I was able to achieve Milcery Class, my highest score yet!), we went to Motostoke where I was able to create my League Card, change my hair and eyes, and get some new clothes. Unfortunately we ran into a small detour where there was a really cute pink plaid rucksack that I wanted but I couldn’t afford. None of my other bags matched my new look and because I didn’t want to show up to the Opening Ceremony looking mismatched, I had to go around selling and collecting rare treasures that I found in the Wild Area (also I battled at the Cafe but I was unable to get an Alcremie sweet :(). My team and I were able to explore some sunny new areas but we ran into a little trouble with some lvl 38 Mudbray. I apparently had not learned my lesson from the Stufful about having a Pokémon with Run Away on me because we were nearly done for from those Mudbray. On the bright side, I have not forgotten to bring Wooloo with me to the Wild Area since, I had an amazing view of a passing by Corviknight, and I was able to collect enough honey, mushrooms, and pearls to sell in order to buy my much wanted rucksack. I was ready to set off to the Opening Ceremony when my sister came in, saying she had found another Gigantamax Butterfree Raid and wanted to know if I wanted to catch this one. I joined her with Sir Dinadin (it was actually kind of awkward because she already had a fully evolved Corviknight. I’m certain participating in that raid had a profound affect on Sir Dinadin) along with two trainers with a Hawlucha and a Togepi. They were actually quite the big help in that battle with Hawlucha being the one to land the final blow. I was able to capture the Giga. Butterfree in a Net Ball. I named it Mothra and it was off to the Opening Ceremony.

After receiving a Pokéball from someone called the Ball Guy, I met up with Hop and we got signed up for the gym challenge. While heading up to the desk, some rude kid with a purple (PINK Opal intensifies somewhere) and a blond afro pushed through us. I select my uniform number (653 after my favorite Pokémon), get to know the other competitors, and head to the Budew Inn. There we find Sonia, trying to find answers to the mysterious Pokémon we encountered in the Slumbering Weald. I head upstairs to check in but there’s a bunch of thugs hastling the guy at the front counter and the other gym challengers. I step up and Sarunori and Kiteruguma make quick work of their Zigzagoon and Nickit respectfully. Even when two of them double team us, Sarunori’s Razor Leaf finishes them off quick. A friendly girl named Marnie calls them off and says she’s excited to see us in the gym challenge. I settle into my hotel room. The bed is quite comfy and soon I, along with my team curled up all over the bed, fall asleep.

Thus ends Day 2. Tomorrow, onto the Opening Ceremony!

Beat the last two Gyms.
Caught Dreepy's evo. Expected it to be difficult. Got one after first failed attempt.
Heading to the League.

So I’m up to 356 Pokémon registered in the Pokédex, meaning that I’m 44 ‘mons away from the shiny charm. 29 version exclusives, 9 starters, and 6 Pokémon that can be obtained without trading, which I believe are Mawile, Milotic, Mimikyu, Weavile, Slurpuff, and Rhyperior. Time to farm dens I guess...

Back
Top Bottom