• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ok, two suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

8BitPoipole

Ghosts and Fairies are kinda my jam
Reaction score
Basically, I have two suggestions for this forum.
One of them is a rom hacking section like PokCommunity's but easier to navigate, and the other is a game development forum.
Basically, there are a series of popular game engines. RPG Maker XP, RPG Maker VX, RPG Maker VX Ace, IG Maker among several others. In RPG Maker XP, there is a starter kit called "Pokemon Essentials" (Which I think may be the main motivation to start up this section) that lets you create a Pokemon game from scratch. The other game engines have no such system as of yet, but it's being worked on.
So, Bulbagarden, I come to you to request that we have a Rom Hacking section and a general Game Development section.
What do you think?

One of them is a rom hacking section like PokCommunity's but easier to navigate, and the other is a game development forum.
Basically, there are a series of popular game engines. RPG Maker XP, RPG Maker VX, RPG Maker VX Ace, IG Maker among several others. In RPG Maker XP, there is a starter kit called "Pokemon Essentials" (Which I think may be the main motivation to start up this section) that lets you create a Pokemon game from scratch. The other game engines have no such system as of yet, but it's being worked on.
So, Bulbagarden, I come to you to request that we have a Rom Hacking section and a general Game Development section.
What do you think?

No. We will not have sections on Bulbagarden entirely dedicated to copyright violation.

What do you think?

No. We will not have sections on Bulbagarden entirely dedicated to copyright violation.
*Reads Skaraflame's post. Disregards half of it*

No, he did not "disregard half of it," because you say yourself in the original post that the main motivation for starting up a game development forum would be to infringe on Game Freak's intellectual property.

And in any case, this topic does not belong in the Bulbawiki forum.

No, he did not "disregard half of it," because you say yourself in the original post that the main motivation for starting up a game development forum would be to infringe on Game Freak's intellectual property.

And in any case, this topic does not belong in the Bulbawiki forum.
No, I'll break it down.
1. Rom hacking section [Which is now a certain no no].
2. Original games made with legit engines like RPG Maker XP (which can be used to create a Pokemon game from scratch).

And let me point out to you where you quite clearly implied that the main draw to the general game dev forum would be creating original Pokemon games.

In RPG Maker XP, there is a starter kit called "Pokemon Essentials" (Which I think may be the main motivation to start up this section) that lets you create a Pokemon game from scratch. The other game engines have no such system as of yet, but it's being worked on.

Emphasis mine.

I would not be opposed to a general game dev forum, as an aspiring game designer myself, but there would have to be STRICT rules against using or promoting dev kits for infringing on Game Freak's (or anyone else's, really) intellectual property. And frankly, it may be more trouble than it's worth to enforce that.

And again, this is not the place for this topic.

To further clarify: The use of copyrighted materials including, but not limited to, Pokemon, Pokemon names and/or Pokemon mechanics in a game, regardless of the type of game, is infringing on the copyright of Nintendo. Using copyrighted materials in an original game is still copyright violation.

I did not disregard any of your post. Both of the proposed sections are copyright violation.

Fair enough. General Game Dev would just not include anything developed in Pokemon Essentials. Shame really, some great games have been made in that.

Just thought I'd comment since I'm reading this. I do wonder why Nintendo hasn't taken any action against pokecommunity for ROM hacking. I can understand not allowing links to illegal distribution of ROMs, but if they were serious about preventing hacking, Nintendo would have forced the staff to shut down that section of Pokecommunity long ago.

It's because of our association with a major site like Bulbapedia.

Adding, there's no good reason for us to run that risk. Sure, it's probably just a takedown notice if it catches Nintendo's attention. But what if Nintendo decided to get serious and file civil or criminal charges against the owners and staffers of Bulba? There's just no good reason I should expose myself to that kind of liability and I can't ask it of any of my colleagues here. I don't think that's fair to them. So we aren't going to be allowing ROMs, either extant or designed to create new Pokemon games that infringe on Nintendo's IP.

It's worth noting here also that Nintendo has previously shut down a game project that was developed by Bulbagarden. The original Pokémon Online (POL) was brought to a halt back in 2000 (or was it 2001?) after receiving a C&D letter.

PokéCommunity might be able to get away with it, but there's greater expectations of Bulba to set a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom