• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
What if they take a week off a month to release the 100th episode on March 11 (or 18)? And perhaps Serena will appear in it.

In honor of PM2019's second anniversary, a roll call of old characters who've graced it thus far:

Lance
Korrina
Gurrkin
Matori and her Grunts
Kiawe
Lana
Sophocles
Mallow
Rotomdex
Lillie
Gladion
Kukui
Burnett
Chuck
M1 Mewtwo
Wikstrom
Iris
Drayden
Gary
Dawn
Johanna
Volkner
Anna
Cynthia
Drake

Referential Appearances:
Lt. Surge (flashback) and the Kanto GLs (silouettes)
Professor Elm (picture)
Diantha (magazine cover)
Lusamine, Faba, Wicke, and Hobbes (photo)
Clair (fantasy)
Cilan (flashback)
Gary's Cheerleaders (flashback)
Tracey (thought balloon)
Paul (flashback)
Brock (flashback and thought balloon)

Here's to more special guest appearances for the third year! :D

It's too bad the first year barely had any returning characters. For example Morty should have been in the Ecurteak episode with Ho-oh, maybe seeing Flannery at Lavaridge city, Lt. Surge instead of the stand in character, etc.

They definitely changed their minds about bringing back past characters more after the first year of the series. Still remember that awful Piplup/Croagunk ep and whatever the hell that was supposed to be.

It's too bad the first year barely had any returning characters. For example Morty should have been in the Ecurteak episode with Ho-oh, maybe seeing Flannery at Lavaridge city, Lt. Surge instead of the stand in character, etc.

They definitely changed their minds about bringing back past characters more after the first year of the series. Still remember that awful Piplup/Croagunk ep and whatever the hell that was supposed to be.
Hopefully I can forget that Piplup/Croagunk episode ever even happened, uggggh. Also, I think that director change may have helped matters.

Flannery's appearance would help that episode, giving something more than a retread of an Advanced Generation episode and giving Ash an actual role in the plot.

I don't think that really counts for either of them when they're going to be based on their video game counterparts, not how they are in the anime. Not to mention Serena didn't really do anything in her Evolutions cameo.

Better than nothing, anyway. About Serena's cameo, I agree with you. I even made a post about it somewhere on the forum. What an unfortunate use of character. Calem had already been depicted as the protagonist of Pokémon Y in Generations, why didn't they put Serena in the lead this time?

I hope that May's appearance is more relevant, at least that's what the promotional material suggests, where she appears several times. Otherwise, Pokémon Company will have deal with me Lol.

Last edited:
Better than nothing anyway. About Serena's cameo I agree with you, I even made a post about it somewhere on the forum. What an unfortunate use of character. Calem had already been depicted as the protagonist of Pokémon Y in Generations, why didn't they put Serena in the lead this time?

He hopes May's appearance is more relevant, at least that's what the promotional material suggests, where she appears several times. Otherwise, Pokémon Company will have deal with me Lol.
It is kind of nothing when they aren't the same character. Seeing Serena or May in Evolutions doesn't mean much when they aren't the same characters from the main anime. It doesn't tell long time fans what either of these characters are doing after leaving the main cast. Serena being the lead in Evolutions instead of Calem wouldn't have meant much since she would have been silent and possibly having her face hidden. May at least might show off more personality in her short than Serena did, but it's hard to say when these episodes are usually less than ten minutes long and the promotional material can easily be misleading too.

It is kind of nothing when they aren't the same character. Seeing Serena or May in Evolutions doesn't mean much when they aren't the same characters from the main anime. It doesn't tell long time fans what either of these characters are doing after leaving the main cast. Serena being the lead in Evolutions instead of Calem wouldn't have meant much since she would have been silent and possibly having her face hidden. May at least might show off more personality in her short than Serena did, but it's hard to say when these episodes are usually less than ten minutes long and the promotional material can easily be misleading too.

Well, I have to agree that the episodes are short and bring little personality to the player's characters, not least because they are never the main characters in the shorts. However, neither this nor the fact that the characters in the games are not exactly "the same" persona in the anime disallow any fan interest in relation to the appearance of a certain character.

If it is "kind of nothing when they aren't the same character", why the constant interest of the Pokémon Company that various characters in the anime be drawn out characters from the games, including the protagonists? And worse, the anime often keeps the appearance, the name, Pokémon and other characteristics related to that persona.

By the way, affection to a certain character, in the case of Pokémon, is not always linked or limited to a specific media. In my case, I first met the May in games (and I played a lot of Pokémon Sapphire), and only later in the anime or manga. Furthermore, the fact that the main characters are somewhat bland in games certainly makes it easier for us to associate them with theirs counterparts.

So, I'm very interested in how May will be portrayed in this short. Will it show a trace or resemblance to its Anime or Manga counterpart or nothing will be shown? From the trailer, the character seems to have characteristics closer to the manga version.

As for Serena, I see her in-game character as a more mature version of Serena from the anime. So, I'd like to see her as the lead character in the short, opposing the villain with style and confidence, as opposed to the anime's often uncertain and hesitant Serena who, in some moments, also showed a lot of courage.

In short, the value of the appearance of a certain character's counterpart is relative, it will vary from person to person. So, I can't agree with you when you say that this is "kind of nothing", because for me it might be relevant, and even because the Pokémon Company itself seems to say otherwise.

Last edited:

I think they just wanted to not draw attention to old characters until they had established the new ones (somewhat) properly.

I think they just wanted to not draw attention to old characters until they had established the new ones (somewhat) properly.
For former main characters I agree. But old Gym leaders like Morty or Lt. Surge wouldn't have been intrusive to be seen back then, it's basically just anime and game lore for the characters to be there.

As I said, I really do think the writers changed their minds. The first year of this series really did feel almost like it was going to be standalone from past sagas and now we're seeing old characters come back one after another.

HOLY CRAP, TEAM GALACTIC'S COMING BACK FOR THE LEGENDS: ARCEUS SPECIAL!!! :eek:

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom