• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wonder if they left out Burgundy on purpose because she'll appear with Cilan later on. Cause kinda weird they left her out when all the other BW rivals were there. Since characters are appearing in pairs like Reggie with Paul and Volkner/Flint I suppose it's likely.

I wonder if they left out Burgundy on purpose because she'll appear with Cilan later on. Cause kinda weird they left her out when all the other BW rivals were there. Since characters are appearing in pairs like Reggie with Paul and Volkner/Flint I suppose it's likely.
To be fair though, Burgundy wasn’t exactly the nicest person to the group let alone on friendly terms with any of those characters. She was a weak excuse of a rival to give the already perfect Cilan; as such, she was reduced to largely insulting everyone on-screen when she appeared and not really growing as a person or Connoisseuse. I don’t find it surprising at all that the insinuation is that none of them kept in contact with her.

Disappointed Ritchie was relegated to cameo status given how important he used to be.
It's sad, but I can't say I'm surprised as Ritchie is kinda redundant as a character now. His role as mirror showing the potential future Ash could become with enough experience and maturity has been complete now that Ash has gone through so many Generations and has lost all of his notable flaws that used to differentiate them. Unless they retool his character going forward, I can't imagine the writers being capable of coming up with an interesting episode involving him and Ash together.

:unsure:

I know but it's still weird for him not to be the Johto league when him saying he'll use his loss to do better inspired Ash so heavily. That episode is actually my favorite so I'm biased but, the fact that he was in an opening, got those specials and was in Puzzle League illustrated that he had some level of prestige before Ash got multiple new rivals every series.

I'm honestly kind of surprised that they remembered that Trip exists. There have been a lot of nods to past series and events throughout Journeys, but I really wasn't expecting Trip to come back even in a silent cameo given that he seems to be one of, if not the least popular rivals Ash has ever had.

Now rivals from every series have appeared except AG.

We have Gary and Richie from the OS, Paul from DP (although no Barry, oddly), Trip and Stephen from BW and Bianca, Alan and Shota from XY, and Gladion and even Hau from SM.

I don't think they'll throw in Morrison or Tyson because they're minor characters but there's nobody else from AG to use so....

I'm honestly kind of surprised that they remembered that Trip exists. There have been a lot of nods to past series and events throughout Journeys, but I really wasn't expecting Trip to come back even in a silent cameo given that he seems to be one of, if not the least popular rivals Ash has ever had.
Bulbapedia kept mentioning how he was the only major rival not to appear in Journeys, only for him to appear here after all.

If anything, I’m glad they excluded Cameron. At least Trip was a reoccurring character and was in the first Best Wishes episode. Cameron is definitely Ash’s least popular rival overall. Knowing him, he probably thought the Masters Eight wouldn’t happen in three months, he would think all the battles would be 2v3s, and you would be required to go to a movie theater to watch the event. Gross, I’m glad the writers ignored him.

To be fair though, Burgundy wasn’t exactly the nicest person to the group let alone on friendly terms with any of those characters. She was a weak excuse of a rival to give the already perfect Cilan; as such, she was reduced to largely insulting everyone on-screen when she appeared and not really growing as a person or Connoisseuse. I don’t find it surprising at all that the insinuation is that none of them kept in contact with her.
I agree. I’m also glad that Burgundy was excluded. She and Cameron are hands down the worst rivals of BW, even worse than Trip (honestly I just find Trip boring rather than unlikable). She only existed to make everyone else look competent by comparison (this is why I hate the “straw loser” trope, especially when it’s portrayed in Pokémon). She never get a single win onscreen (also, like you said, she never grew as a person/connoisseuse).

If any rival DESERVES to be forgotten, it's Cameron. :p

Now rivals from every series have appeared except AG.
Problem is, Ash didn't HAVE any rivals in AG. Maybe Morrison and Tyson, but Morrison was only in one episode outside of the Hoenn League, and Tyson didn't do anything outside of it.

Problem is, Ash didn't HAVE any rivals in AG. Maybe Morrison and Tyson, but Morrison was only in one episode outside of the Hoenn League, and Tyson didn't do anything outside of it.
Not to mention that Morrison was introduced when Ash already had eight Badges, so yeah, Hoenn was the only region where all of Ash's rivals were League rivals.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom