• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm think Gary Oak would make more of a special guest return for an episode with some kind of Ash runs into him and Gary ends up teaming with him in some kind of situational story for that episode. In other words an over glorified filler episode.

One could say that about many of Gary's episodes....

Oh, and Matori is coming back too after being gone for a while...but she's popped up so many times over the years and done so little I'm not really excited.

The real kicker would be if other TR members were among her group, but chances are more than likely it'll just be the Matori Matrix again.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that Paul should absolutely return and be a recurring rival. Ash and Paul are opposites sides of the same coin and share similar goals/ambitions, just different methods of achieving them. If Ash caught wind of the PWC and entered it, you can bet that Paul definitely did so as well and there's no reason he wouldn't compete.

No other long term rival has the motivation to compete in the PWC except Paul. Then there's the "RIVALS FROM AROUND THE WORLD ASSEMBLE" caption.

Then there's the "RIVALS FROM AROUND THE WORLD ASSEMBLE" caption.

I think that was just for hype. I get the feeling they won't actually go there (which has happened more than a few times over the years)

Then it's a case of blatantly false and misleading promotion, especially more so because that caption is displayed during the Korrina segments and is applicable to Ash. No one else on the main cast has rivals around the world.
I don’t really think they mean Ash's rivals all over the world. It seems like the type of hype-inducing advertising which can be interpreted as older characters returning but ends up being untrue (like Ash getting the rainbow wing). I think it just refers to the fact that rivals who want to battle Leon are from all over the world. Anyone who’s competing in the PWC is technically Ash's rival.

At this point I guess we should be happy to see any old characters return instead of "characters of the day" like the random trainer with a vague relationship with Lt. Surge.

I don't think Lt. Surge himself is all that iconic. His Raichu and Pikachu refusing to evolve are more memorable than him so I don't know why we should care about his anime-only gym trainers.

At least show Surge himself and maybe develop his backstory, which is actually very interesting, if you are going to advertise Kanto even more!

Imagine an episode featuring Surge's backstory when he saved that gym trainer from the games during the war. Maybe this is why his Raichu evolved prematurely since the games mentions that he needed strong electric Pokémon to power up the plane. This would actually make Raichu very heroic instead of just a bully.

This could also explain why Raichu is so agressive since it might have been affected by its experiences during the war. They could have given Pikachu a less random backstory in the first episode that would have explained why it was so agressive in the beginning of OS.

Maybe Pikachu could even relate to Raichu and uhhhh... I want to say evolve but that won't happen lol. But that would have tied the first episode together with the Vermilion gym episode and developed Pikachu if it came to understand its old rival.

It would add to the worldbuilding and character development. Flesh out older characters like the gym leaders instead of having Satoshi just beat them again.

Then while they were at it they could have mentioned the war that took place during the Lucario movie and tied that together with Satoshi's aura powers and Riolu somehow. Maybe have some countinuity between the new episodes and the lore/plots from older episodes/movies.

Not much, but Korrina's bringing Gurrkin with her.

Though I was kind of hoping she'd bring some of those colorful Mega Evolution trainers too...

Well, now that a new Pokémon Snap has been announced I'll at least raise the possibility of Todd/Snap returning for an episode if he's still the player character.

I was just thinking about that, or have a new character that enjoys taking photos of Pokemon, maybe make that Chloe's goal

Hmmm... :unsure:

As much as I'd like to see Todd/Snap back (the First Honorary member of Ash-tachii!), I doubt it, if because New Snap has a new player character they'll most likely want to use more.

Besides, the Show usually doesn't don't promote side games anyway.

It also makes me wonder if Mallow will be used to promote Pokemon Cafe Mix, though I (greatly) doubt that too...

Last edited:
So there's a chance we're seeing Tohru after 20 years? Wonder how he'd be re-introduced into the series after so long.

To be fair he's not a character I really like, there's a ton other side characters I'd rather see instead of him (Nanako, Sakura, etc...).

If Iris appears in a future episode, she better wear her B2W2 outfit and have a better character development. For May, she should wear her ORAS clothing.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom