• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
@Dogasu, your services are required here.

I don't have magazine myself (yet) but here's what Pokémon Matome reports:
  • Characters will the past will regularly show up (Yasuda). The scan of the relevant portion of the interview the site posted reads "Of course, characters from the past will also show up regularly so we hope those who have been anipoke fans for a long time will also look forward to it!"
  • The visuals in the opening theme will change in the near future and will include hints for what may happen in the show. Fans of Kibana will be particularly happy (Kishimoto)
    ※ The opening song itself will not change
  • They wrote the Kibana episode before Sword & Shield came out and so they had no idea that Gym Leader would end up being as popular as he is. They just chose him because they thought he'd be a suitably strong opponent to go up against Dande (Kishimoto)
  • Another quote from Kishimoto: "I can't reveal too much right now...but we're seriously considering bringing Kibana back."
One of the user comments brought up the fact that the show's staff said the same thing about old characters coming back during Sun & Moon and yet we all know how that turned out. In an Animedia interview from 2017, Producer Shuichi Taguchi said the following when asked about other episodes like the "Satoshi and his classmates go to Kanto" ones:

Taguchi: "They might go to other regions and might meet or reunite with older characters as a sort of extracurricular class. "

Other posts in the article have fans saying who they'd like to see come back and how they should take this chance to bring in game characters the show skipped over the first time.

One of the user comments brought up the fact that the show's staff said the same thing about old characters coming back during Sun & Moon and yet we all know how that turned out. In an Animedia interview from 2017, Producer Shuichi Taguchi said the following when asked about other episodes like the "Satoshi and his classmates go to Kanto" ones

Taguchi: "They might go to other regions and might meet or reunite with older characters as a sort of extracurricular class. "
I've had the theory for a while that the PM2019 was conceptualized in 2017 during the 20th anniversary hype. I believe that their plans of bringing back characters and travelling to other regions were scrapped at the time, with the intention of delivering those promises in this series as it is would be way more suited given the premise. I don't have proof of this, but the timeline seems to check out, at least in my head.

As for predictions:

Alola Crew - That's a given. Hopefully his classmates will be met in various regions since we know they are travelling.
Cynthia - Most likely a given, they're just saving her for later.
Brock and Misty - It may be an unpopular opinion at this point, but I'm always down for seeing these two again.
Serena - Highly possible, especially since Korrina showed up. And there's that Sylveon in the calendar.
Dawn and May - Unfortunately I don't think so. May/Haruka's voice actress is out of the picture and PM008 exists. If they had any intention of bringing Dawn back I don't think they would have made an episode about a COD Piplup with a near identical personality to Dawn's. I hope I'm wrong here, or maybe they changed their mind after hearing feedback from fans.
Paul - I would die, but realistically not happening.

Also, they wrote episode 27 before even the games were released? That puts a lot into perspective.

Last edited:
Raihan focus? *is visibly hyped, tho afraid to know a part of the reason why he's popular in Japan...*
This time they said they'll reappear more regularly, I'm expecting the rest of the master class to be returning characters and Brock and Misty are very likely, hopefully SM classmates too, maybe a Sophocles episode in Mossdeep space center, hyped to see hunter J returning.

Last edited:
Thanks for translating!
I didn't know they'd said something similar (though seemingly phrased as a possibility while this seems more definite) during Sun/Moon though.

It's worth pointing out that Mr. Taguchi made it a point to say "might" a bunch of times when answering the question. I think that's probably a Japanese cultural thing; you don't want to just outright say "no" and so you give the most vague non-answer you can.

I just got this PASH issue, out of curiosity, from honto and it's mostly consisted of a bunch of interviews with the voice actors of Satoshi, Gou, Dande, Noctis (oops, Kibana xD) and the producer and director.

Right now I just skimmed through so I don't know much. Though one of the things the producer\director talked about was about Messon and who'd caught it (they never say Gou did it).

I just got this PASH issue, out of curiosity, from honto and it's mostly consisted of a bunch of interviews with the voice actors of Satoshi, Gou, Dande, Noctis (oops, Kibana xD) and the producer and director.

Right now I just skimmed through so I don't know much. Though one of the things the producer\director talked about was about Messon and who'd caught it (they never say Gou did it).
What’s interesting from what Dogasu gave us is that they wrote at least episode 27 before the games released. Since the prospect of Sobble’s capture was also tied to that episode, I wonder if their plotting of who got what starters was based on who they thought would be the most popular vs which it turned out to be. Ergo, if the plans are for Ash to get Grookey, they thought it’d be more popular within the 3 than it ended up being and thus they could really show it off for publicity.

Vidication, baby :D (or so it seems <_<)

At the very least I'd like to see more honorary members of Ash-tachii as a middle ground. :unsure:

I want her to wear the dress he wears on Black and White 2. What the anime has done to Iris is an injustice.
It's a nice dress, but I think it is too much for a regular outfit. Unless there is some sort of occasion, I don't think she would be wearing that giant, glorified dress.

Just as long as she didn't get to evolve that Gibble in record time AND Mega-Evolve it...

...though that might actually be LESS BSy than a lot about BW. Or fitting for Isshu.

I want to see May, Drew, and Harley (but in a Maractus costume). Although I don't know what's the point of bringing them back if there is no Pokemon Coordination contest present in this series.

YES to all of this (May's rivals are my favorite in the entire show, I would love to see them again!)

I don't think it's totally out of the question to see a Contest this series. Even if it's not an overarching plot, they could easily focus one or two episodes on a Contest as a way of introducing Goh to the concept of them (not saying he wants to or would become a coordinator; just Ash kind of being like "hey, let's go check this out!"). I've said it before, but they could easily bring back the Wallace Cup since it's already been touted as a huge Contest that coordinators travel from other regions for. It'd be an easy way to put all the coordinators back in one spot and showcase a Contest.

What’s interesting from what Dogasu gave us is that they wrote at least episode 27 before the games released. Since the prospect of Sobble’s capture was also tied to that episode, I wonder if their plotting of who got what starters was based on who they thought would be the most popular vs which it turned out to be. Ergo, if the plans are for Ash to get Grookey, they thought it’d be more popular within the 3 than it ended up being and thus they could really show it off for publicity.
I'll read it throughly later and if I find anything important I'll say. I'm not translating anything since I still need some study on Kanji and I don't want to write something inaccurate.

Anyway all interviews are pretty lenghty (lenghtier than the Animedia ones for example), so there should be a bit more info than what's on Pokemon Matome (I figured they listed the major stuff mostly).

I wasn't expecting much in the way of returning characters before episode 50 or so but with Korrina appearing as early as she did I shouldn't be surprised. This is very welcome news.

I'm hoping that shot of the Prism Tower was a teaser for Clemont and Bonnie showing up.

I can't wait to see my fan favorite companion girl Iris.

I honestly wouldn't mind. I'm guessing she'd be less annoying if not tied to BW's writing style.

Dawn and May - Unfortunately I don't think so. May/Haruka's voice actress is out of the picture and PM008 exists. If they had any intention of bringing Dawn back I don't think they would have made an episode about a COD Piplup with a near identical personality to Dawn's. I hope I'm wrong here, or maybe they changed their mind after hearing feedback from fans.

It might depend on Sinnoh remakes but I'm not counting Dawn out.

May I agree is unlikely - and does that leave Hoenn in limbo? Would they bring in Max, Norman, Caroline, or May's rivals without May? Most of Hoenn's recurring cast is connected to her. There's Steven Stone but he barely appeared in Hoenn.

I really hope that means some of Ash's reserves as well. I want the lesser famous to appear, and of course some returns. Lapras never sat well with me.
Not to mention they could pull a Quilava and evolve some of Ash's old Pokémon that seriously deserve to evolve. coughsnivycough.

I don't think it's totally out of the question to see a Contest this series. Even if it's not an overarching plot, they could easily focus one or two episodes on a Contest as a way of introducing Goh to the concept of them (not saying he wants to or would become a coordinator; just Ash kind of being like "hey, let's go check this out!"). I've said it before, but they could easily bring back the Wallace Cup since it's already been touted as a huge Contest that coordinators travel from other regions for. It'd be an easy way to put all the coordinators back in one spot and showcase a Contest.

Yeah. If we're gonna be going to old regions, they more or less NEED to use their distinguishing features, otherwise what's the point?
(even though that's all that's happened except the Kalos episode...)

I think that if they are holding out Alola this long is because it's definitely gonna have some continuity, even if it's just Kukui, Burnett, Mallow and Ash's Pokémon.

New opening visuals...Cool, hopefully they are very surprising and aren't just "Celebi will appear".

It's left ambiguous whether Raihan will have a bigger role or not, but if he doesn't have his personality from the games I can't say I'm looking forward to more of him.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom