• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cilan appeared in one of the last few XY&Z episodes, though Ash already left the region by then and he only interacted with Clemont in that episode (and just like the Brock/Cilan episode, neither of them realized they both knew Ash).
Right, I forgot about the special episodes (seems that one never got dubbed for some reason, too). My mistake.

I find it funny that we’ll be seeing Alola when Ash’s current party only has two pokemon with compatible Z-crystals.
Riolu can easily make use of Steelium-Z after it evolves into Lucario. Galarian Farfetch'd can learn Leaf Blade, which would also give it access to Grassium-Z (as well as a move that isn't a Dark-type move). If the writers want to showcase the Z-Crystals that weren't featured in the original Sun and Moon anime, then they could give Ash a Psychium-Z so that Gengar can use it.

Though all things considered, I think it's more likely that Ash will just use Pikachu or his other Alola reserves instead of his current Journeys captures to showcase Z-moves.

It would be pretty cool to see Ash's SM team, if only for them to interact with his current team members. I don't know if they'll finally let him start using his reserve Pokemon, but getting some interactions between Ash and his SM team would be nice, especially when he didn't have a proper goodbye to them at the end of SM.
And poor Incineroar didn’t even get showed off much. Post evolution it was seen fainting and eating food later, nothing else. I think in the final battle against Kiawe he should've used Incineroar instead of Lycanroc, but this is an opportunity to showcase it again.

Well, the new intro certainly gives us something to talk about.

It's theoretically possible the classmates appearing means nothing (like when characters of the day sometimes appeared in OS openings) but I doubt it. They were major characters. It is still a bit odd we didn't see the companions from the immediately prior series get cameos during the XY--SuMo era, though. Hopefully the ones who missed out get a chance during Journeys.

My hope is that we also see Lycanroc and the other Alola Pokémon, which could maybe lead to other reserves appearing.

I don’t find it odd since they basically did the same thing with the BW companions.

I am meh on the Alola gang returning. Lillie is the only one that has any story potential left. Hopefully, Kiawe is participating in the WC, that would at least be something.

(or even Kukui because this show isn't about babies).

In fairness, SM was very big on family themes. Kukui and Burnet's baby could basically be considered a psuedo younger sibling for Ash, which is sweet because he's an only child. They wouldn't necessarily have to dedicate an entire episode to it, but it would be a nice way to incorporate those themes into Journeys, which honestly hasn't done the best job of working in what makes the different regions unique.

If Ash doesn't battle Kiawe, this will go down as gratuitous fan service. I just don't see what new things can be done with Lana, Mallow or Sophocles (or even Kukui because this show isn't about babies). Another UB encounter would be very lame.
Misty and Brock in Sun/Moon were fanservice so I think I’ll let this one slide.
This is a series about World Tours after all and the population of Alola is so small that Ash is bound to come across someone he knows.

“The show isn’t about babies” is odd since Kukui having a baby won’t shake up the show by a lot. It’s a progression of story, an indication that something is happening while Ash went away: just like how Misty and Brock weren’t static when Ash left and had Mega Evolutions.

As much as I like Kiawe, I don't know if I could see him entering the World Championship. It would be cool and a natural way to potentially allow for Kiawe and/or the rest of the SM cast to make future appearances, but unless he caught at least three more Pokemon after SM, I don't think it would be believable to see him enter into the tournament. I know that it is basically free for anyone to enter and it would be good training for Kiawe to become an Island Kahuna, but I really can't see Kiawe doing that well within a huge stage like the World Championship with just three Pokemon on him. Granted, Ash had less Pokemon on him when he first heard about it, but at least he does have reserves he can potentially use. Kiawe has only three Pokemon and while he is easily the strongest of the SM classmates, I can't see him being able to get that far within the World Championship stage.

The whole "the show isn't about babies" complaint is also quite strange to me. Not only because they wouldn't necessarily have to devote a full episode to Kukui and Burnet's baby, but it would make the reunion between Ash and his Alola family even more touching if they already had the baby by the time he appears in Alola. Besides that, I think a full episode devoted to Professor Kukui and Burnet becoming parents and/or dealing with taking care of their new baby would be a good idea. It would be extra cute if Ash tries to help them out for awhile and basically becomes an older brother to the newborn. I'd watch the heck out of that. The romance between Professor Kukui and Burnet didn't have a good buildup for me, but they had some cute moments as the series progressed and that helped to make the ending of the two of them having their own baby more satisfying to me.

I literally gasped when I saw the Alola group :') Even though it hasn't been long since SM ended it's going to be so good to see them again since they're among my favorite characters in the entirety of the Pokemon anime. Sad that Lillie probably won't be with them but maybe she can show up later?

(also yes to Kukui/Burnet baby please)

Misty and Brock in Sun/Moon were fanservice so I think I’ll let this one slide.
This is a series about World Tours after all and the population of Alola is so small that Ash is bound to come across someone he knows.

“The show isn’t about babies” is odd since Kukui having a baby won’t shake up the show by a lot. It’s a progression of story, an indication that something is happening while Ash went away: just like how Misty and Brock weren’t static when Ash left and had Mega Evolutions.

Well... yes and no. It was fanservice, but also introduced Gym battles and Mega Evolution to the Alola gang.

The only way they could do Alola justice is if it’s 2 episodes or more, but 2 episodes should be fine. They can’t cover everything they need to in just 1 episode. The Kalos episode suffered a bit from not being 2 episodes but overall it still worked fine, but having to fit all of the Alola human and Pokémon characters, places like the Pokémon School, Z-Moves, and other remaining factors like Goh’s Alola captures and Team Rocket stuff would be impossible without being rushed to hell and back.

I really am interested in the old mons of Alola. We see Ash's Lycanrock in the ending credits, that for me must have some meaning.
If Ash does indeed use some reserves, what will most likely happen, I am curious to see if he leaves them there or if we're gonna have some of them travelling back to the dome and meet the new mons.
Making things like this, 1 or 2 pokémon each time, would be, for me, the perfect way to present everybody to everybody as well as let us watch it

The whole Sun & Moon saga already focused on a large main cast + Ash, so I don't think the Alola kids (minus Lillie) + Ash and Go will be too hard to handle, especially for a little bit. All I hope is that we'll get more than just one episode, since I miss them a lot and want to get more than just a single episode of focus on them.

But yes, very eager to see how they'll handle Kukui and Burnet. Part of me thinks they will avoid showing them so they don't have to deal with handling the passage of time and their child, but... I just want to see their cute baby. please! one can hope!

The easiest excuse they could use to avoid showing Burnet is just having all of Ash’s Pokémon be at the Pokémon School when Ash arrives so they don’t have to physically go back to Kukui’s house to get them, and then just say that Burnet is feeling sick or something so she can’t go.

His Alolan team are his most likely Pokémon to return, they’re still fresh in people’s minds and some of them have specific reasons to come back (Incineroar having never battled after evolving and Melmetal to most likely promote it’s Gigantamax form when it becomes available).

I am really, really looking forward to seeing the SM gang and Goh interact. I love all of them and seeing them together will be awesome. I wonder if he’ll still be nervous to accept all these new people as friends or if his recent experiences with Tokio will have opened himself up to more and more human friends (which could eventually lead to being friends with other companions and such). Having such a close-knit group of friends like the Alola gang would do Goh a lot of good.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom