• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tracey was never meant to exist, and was only created because the execs were concerned that Brock would be viewed as a racist stereotype in the West. Eventually, Brock was brought back because he ended up becoming extremely popular, and the rest is history.

A character that I think would tie in well with the whole travel/research themes of Journeys is Todd Snap.

Of course, I would only want him back if other characters did appear as well. I just think his character is somewhat similar to Goh’s but with and added obnoxiousness the latter could look at and learn from if the writers ever realise they aren’t handling their co-protagonist well (fat chance, but hey).

Tracey was never meant to exist, and was only created because the execs were concerned that Brock would be viewed as a racist stereotype in the West. Eventually, Brock was brought back because he ended up becoming extremely popular, and the rest is history.
This hasn’t stopped him from reappearing in the series in the past.

That doesn't mean that he should automatically disappear. He is literally Oak's personal assistant and the one companion who's technically closest to home for Ash. He's not even gotten a silent cameo or even a passing mention ever since the BW finale.

Last edited:
I’m still surprised they didn’t have Tracey cameo in JN002. It would’ve shown right off the bat that there would be more continuity in this series than there would usually be.

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but if you remove the fact that Tracey replaced Brock, he isn’t that bad. I liked how he always tried to be nice but also had a temper if people crossed the line. He had a unique goal as well, though there’s no real clear sense of progression on how to become a Pokemon Watcher.

A character that I think would tie in well with the whole travel/research themes of Journeys is Todd Snap.

I have a feeling that any chance of Todd Snap reappearing were probably crushed when Todd was replaced by a new MC for New Pokemon Snap, unless he just got a complete redesign or something.

Lame reason. He "was never meant to exist" and yet he does...including after Brock returned, for a while at least. Tracey never being shown anymore, even in a non-speaking capacity, had always bugged me.

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but if you remove the fact that Tracey replaced Brock, he isn’t that bad. I liked how he always tried to be nice but also had a temper if people crossed the line. He had a unique goal as well, though there’s no real clear sense of progression on how to become a Pokemon Watcher.

I share your opinion! I always enjoyed Tracey. He was especially interesting in the Chronicles episodes...I loved seeing the relationship he had with Misty and her sisters, even away from Ash. As a Pokemon Watcher, I could see him taking a real interest in the number of different Pokemon Goh has caught and wanting to observe them, teaching Goh more about his own Pokemon in the process.

I always viewed Kenji as a flat character, not that interesting.

At least one personality quirk he had was taken from Takeshi (drooling over women, remember he sketched them instead in some instances?), and the whole watcher thing never convinced me... Seemed like the writers just picked a hobby out of random and slapped the Pokemon title so it would look like something official in-universe.

I wonder if he'd tag along in Jouto had Takeshi not come back... Probably yes.

I just want to see Ash use his reserves, since it was so cool to see him use them at the Sinnoh League. Heck, maybe Quilava could evolve once more and become a Typhlosion, that'd be nice, especially since Typhlosion is the final form starter with the least anime appearances out of all of them (it's only major role was in the Raikou special, and it didn't have a proper main series debut until Advanced... as a split second cameo fighting a Feraligatr). In particular, most of Ash's Unova team could benefit from a return; I kinda would love it for Unfezant to pull a Noctowl and return with an improved moveset and defeat a PWC opponent.

A racist stereotype of what exactly?

Last edited:
I know it's a stretch, but I'd definitely be keen to see Paul come back at some point in the PWC. It just seems like a great opportunity for him, and I can really see him up in hyper class. He was on Ash's level, and worked as a great counterpart to him. His relationship with Ash would've improved as well - he'd be way less antagonistic to him and would respect him a lot more. Who knows, he might've even beaten Brandon at some point before, or wants to get stronger to take him on (hence the PWC).

I could even see them both competing in wanting to battle Cynthia, if that even happens of course.

The "racist stereotype" reason, I'm assuming, is a mistranslation of this Takeshi Shudo blog entry where he talks about why Kenji was brought in to replace Takeshi. Here's my translation:

And then another issue came up. We got word that the show's upper management wanted to remove Takeshi as a regular member of the cast. The reason they gave was because of the shape of Takeshi's eyes. Almond-shaped eyes make people aware that he's an Asian, and an anime where Asians appear can't be successful in the West. So make it so he doesn't appear, they said. But I wouldn't say it was racism or anything like that. I just think the idea that Westerners wouldn't accept Asian-looking characters to be old-fashioned. I don't know who ordered it but I remember thinking the whole thing was stupid. Later, upper management noticed that Takeshi was surprisingly popular in the West and so they allowed him to be brought back.

it didn't have a proper main series debut until Advanced... as a split second cameo fighting a Feraligatr
It was also briefly seen during the first Lavaridge Town episode, but even there, it wasn't the main focus. My favorite Johto starter deserves better.

I would love to see the more competent members of team Rocket return, Cassidy and what's his name though one character I wish to see most is Tracey

Just been watching a video about him, he has so much potential but got wasted.
Speaking of Tracey, it strikes me as funny that Journeys would have an anime original member of the main cast who joins a Kanto Pokémon Professor as a research assistant whose tasks often amount observing wild Pokémon and recording them...Tracey must be crying himself to sleep that he debuted like 20 years too early. :ROFLMAO:

Now that I've just realised that, it makes me sad that the writers didn't include Tracey at all as they would have had the perfect justification. I don't mean as a main character on the same level of Gou, but even once in a while when the plot of the day involves a research task (as opposed to PWC or catching sprees) Professor Oak could loan out Tracey to tag along as a pseudo-companion. It would certainly shake up the dynamic of the eternal Ash/Gou bromance and hell, Tracey could even bond with Chloe because her mom does art as a living as well so she'd get an insight into what it's all about from someone more her age. :unsure:

It was also briefly seen during the first Lavaridge Town episode, but even there, it wasn't the main focus. My favorite Johto starter deserves better.

Typhlosion definitely deserves some focus, would be nice to see Goh get a Cyndaquil that he could evolve all the way, hopefully giving Quilava some screen time

I would love to see the more competent members of team Rocket return, Cassidy and what's his name though one character I wish to see most is Tracey

Just been watching a video about him, he has so much potential but got wasted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMbY-kpnYc

I've always found Tracy to be a completely boring character, and assumed people were just being hipsters when they say he's underrated. I find him harmless as Oak's assistant, and I'll take whatever continuity I can get in this series, but I don't think he's ever added anything of value outside of being the butt of the joke. I haven't watched chronicles though, so I guess I could be missing out on something.

Of course, I would only want him back if other characters did appear as well. I just think his character is somewhat similar to Goh’s but with and added obnoxiousness the latter could look at and learn from if the writers ever realise they aren’t handling their co-protagonist well (fat chance, but hey).
It seems they replaced him in "new" Pokemon Snap, sadly. There could have been some fun cross-promotion (again) having him return for an episode or two in PM. He could photograph all of Gou's Pokemon, especially Aerodactyl.
The "racist stereotype" reason, I'm assuming, is a mistranslation of this Takeshi Shudo blog entry where he talks about why Kenji was brought in to replace Takeshi. Here's my translation:
:LOL: So they were just assuming that us westerners were racist and hated Brock for being Asian. How lovely.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom