• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am certain that the producers are aware that Ash is "too iconic and marketable". It is not by chance that every time that anime has reinvented itself (Hoenn, Unova, Alola and Journeys) Ash was kept as the protagonist. However, this is the first time that Ash, indeed, has to share the protagonism. Plus, unlike the other anime protagonists (Brock, Misty, May, etc...), Goh does not represent the new generation of games, but the immeasurably successful Pokémon Go. Therefore, I believe that the current situation of the anime is quite peculiar.

Futhermore, take Goh goal:"catch them all", it is not only the motto of the series as an objective that tends to the infinite, given that every generation new Pokémon are created. Still, the Pokémon that Goh most wants to capture is Mew, a very iconic creature, the first Mythical/Legendary Pokémon and the most elusive of them all. Goh was not created to be a secondary character, but a protagonist. This is why Goh is a Kanto character and not a Galar one, to strengthen his bond with the entire franchise and not just one region.

In my opinion, the producers are using Goh to test "the waters", this is, whether or not Ash is irreplaceable or if other character(s) can take the lead. I am not saying that Goh will replace him, but I believe that the producers want to know if the anime can carry on without Ash and if, given enough time, they are capable of create a replacement to match him. Since Sun & Moon, the Pokémon anime is in transition, looking for different approaches, and eventually, or not, this can lead to a change of protagonist.

Regarding the fate of Goh, I believe that if Goh don't become a very marketable character he will be replaced in the next generation, but if he succeeds he will continue as co-protagonist (or even the protagonist eventually) for quite a time. In short, Goh is a gambit, while Ash is the safe haven.

Dawn too was a co-star.

If I recall correctly episodes are recorded two months before they air, so it's possible that Gary just won't appear for 8 episodes (and that's assuming recording hasn't been suspended because of COVID). Maybe it would have been more prudent of her to don't say anything, but that's the era we live in.

Surely if you're bringing a character back, you inform their voice actor? Even if they haven't done episodes featuring Gary yet. If this appears to be true, then this reeks of poor management.

I get that Tracey’s a background character and all, but it Chuck of all people has appeared I don’t think that the orange island focus will play a huge role in case they want to bring Tracey back.
As much as I would love Tracey to make a reappearance (that isn't just being a breathing stage prop), Journeys is admittedly an awkward series to try and give him an episode dedicated to since his lifestyle of being a Pokémon Watcher doesn't correlate well to the PWC or Gou's catching spree.

Ironically he would have been far better served if the writers had stuck to the initial premise of Ash & Gou being Research Assistants since the episode where they were observing the Dragonite Island felt perfect for the sort of thing Tracey might be sent out to do on Oak's behalf. :unsure:

As much as I would love Tracey to make a reappearance (that isn't just being a breathing stage prop), Journeys is admittedly an awkward series to try and give him an episode dedicated to since his lifestyle of being a Pokémon Watcher doesn't correlate well to the PWC or Gou's catching spree.

Ironically he would have been far better served if the writers had stuck to the initial premise of Ash & Gou being Research Assistants since the episode where they were observing the Dragonite Island felt perfect for the sort of thing Tracey might be sent out to do on Oak's behalf. :unsure:

I'd be fine with him appearing in a Prof. Oak-centric episode.

I think this series would suit him just fine. I imagine he would have a field day at Sakuragi Lab. Also during research episodes, like the Beautifly one.

Sadly, in this age of Rotom smart phones, I fear Tracy's skillset may be obsolete. How can his sketches compete with Gou taking under water pictures of Lugia's scales?

Apparently, Shigeru/Gary's voice actor may not be reprising her role in this series. If so, this is huge. If this precedent is set, than suddenly all VA related character restrictions may no longer exist. We can see characters like May return, whose VA has a 0% chance of returning.

This is bittersweet of course, replacing voice actors is always a bummer. The consistent voices are one of the many things that make subs so valuable to me.

Gary won't come back?

I hope Iris and Gary will return in the next episode when it announces in February, March, April or any other months.

Sadly, in this age of Rotom smart phones, I fear Tracy's skillset may be obsolete. How can his sketches compete with Gou taking under water pictures of Lugia's scales?
To be fair to Tracey, there's more to being a Pokémon Watcher than simply recording images during field research. In addition that one other Watcher we saw in the anime, Quackenpoker iirc had a tripod camera so I guess different strokes for different folks.

Plus if they did have Tracey return, it could be a situation where Gou loses his Rotom Phone and so Tracey has to teach him to not be so reliant on technology and use his eyes and brain a bit more.

Apparently, Shigeru/Gary's voice actor may not be reprising her role in this series. If so, this is huge. If this precedent is set, than suddenly all VA related character restrictions may no longer exist. We can see characters like May return, whose VA has a 0% chance of returning.

This is bittersweet of course, replacing voice actors is always a bummer. The consistent voices are one of the many things that make subs so valuable to me.
I just read Kobayashi's twitter, and I 100% agree with Dogasu. Seems way more like a joke to me.
Anyway I wouldn't really mind Shigeru getting replaced by, let's say, Green's VA from Origins. Of course they are completely different characters, but I'm not really that fond of Shigeru's voice.

You remember that we said yesterday about May.

I will tell you something sad, the disappointment returns and it never worked. Nine years ago, we remember we hope that May will return with Ash and his new friends in any all episodes of Pokémon the Series: XY until the last episode that was announced eight years ago, the video games of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire to guide in anime but it does not work and disappoints. And another about Serena goes back with Ash in Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon we are hoping that she will appear the same as May in Diamond and Pearl and Dawn in Black & White but they were disappointed that they are not the same as before and that made us sad.

Sorry. Oh, well. We'd better continue Ash's older friends without May, nor Serena.

Looking at the information we got for the new Pokemon Snap, if the anime decided to do a episode like the game or based on plot elements, I don't see Todd Snap returning
Todd snap could be professor Mirror. They kind of look alike. I hope we get to visit areas not often seen in the anime. I would love an episode where Ash talks about the crystal onyx and they go back and try to get it

Tohru has been away from the series for nearly 20 years by now, so no way he's returning. I could see a potential appearance of his in the case he was still the PC in the new Pokemon Snap, but since he's not, makes way more sense to use the new character instead if they decide to use to anime to promote it.

Tohru has been away from the series for nearly 20 years by now, so no way he's returning. I could see a potential appearance of his in the case he was still the PC in the new Pokemon Snap, but since he's not, makes way more sense to use the new character instead if they decide to use to anime to promote it.

Yeah, but i don't think they will use the new character, since they are us.

To be fair, the writers already preformed necromancy to resurrect Chuck of all people for Journeys recently whose last on-screen appearance varies from 15-18 years ago (depending on whether you count flashbacks versus physical appearances).

I wouldn't see it as much more of a stretch if they wanted to revive Todd for one more appearance with a fresh new look based on the new male MC sprite. :unsure:

Last edited:
*sees New Pokemon Snap Trailer*

...Well, there go Todd/Snap's chances. Though it was iffy in the first place. (We're not even sure they'll promote NPS)

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom