• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
What’s really sad is that Serena is the only travel companion to not meet any other travel companions outside the ones she traveled with in said saga. I wonder why. Is it because of the whole shipping thing?
I think it's just because XY seemed to be the most standalone series (didn't the director even comment on that at some point?) with minimal older characters appearing.

Misty knows Brock, May, Max, Mallow, Lana, Kiawe, Sophocles and Lillie.
Brock knows Misty, May, Max, Cilan (doesn't know he traveled with Ash), Mallow, Lana, Kiawe, Sophocles, and Lillie.
Gary knows Misty, Brock, Goh.
May knows Misty, Brock, Dawn.
Max knows Misty, Brock.
Dawn knows Brock, Iris, Cilan. She will meet Goh and Chloe.
Iris knows Dawn, Cilan, Goh.
Cilan knows Dawn, Iris, Clemont and Bonnie (doesn't know they traveled with Ash).
Serena knows Clemont and Bonnie.
Clemont knows Serena and Cilan (doesn't know he traveled with Ash).
Bonnie knows Serena and Cilan (doesn't know she traveled with Ash).
Mallow knows Misty, Brock, Goh.
Lana knows Misty, Brock, Goh.
Kiawe knows Misty, Brock, Goh.
Sophocles knows Misty, Brock, Goh.
Lillie knows Misty, Brock.
Goh knows Mallow, Lana, Kiawe, Sophocles and Iris. He will meet Dawn.
Chloe will meet Dawn.
Gary also met Dawn.

Oh hey, surprise bonus cameo by Johanna! :eek:/ :D

Last edited:
And when they announces a new title of episode 76 or 77 that Dawn is no longer main characters, it will change other new posters with Ash's oldest friends in August.

No more ignoring me, answer to me.
Genuinely missed this post somehow. We honestly don't know. It doesn't seem like Dawn will rejoin the cast beyond the Sinnoh two-parter, and we have no idea when we'll be getting a new opening or a new poster.

What’s really sad is that Serena is the only travel companion to not meet any other travel companions outside the ones she traveled with in said saga. I wonder why. Is it because of the whole shipping thing?
She's the only character that hasn't appeared at all since her departure (not even in a special, while Lillie got a cameo). She is way too dependent on Ash, who treats her just like the run-of-the-mill companion. If she comes back now, what will she even do? Not that Dawn is doing much, but she's the Piplup girl.

Dawn is kind of doing what in theory Serena, and May for that matter, could do if they were brought back. Which is a problem since it would be redundant. Also, the crush is an issue. Serena liking Ash is fine, the problem is she already confessed. So Ash would have to either reciprocate or reject her and they aren’t going to do either.

Serena liking Ash is fine, the problem is she already confessed. So Ash would have to either reciprocate or reject her and they aren’t going to do either.
Why do they have to do either? They could just ignore it entirely. The show is very experienced at ignoring past events.

Why do they have to do either? They could just ignore it entirely. The show is very experienced at ignoring past events.

Because it wouldn’t be a satisfying outcome for the character. I don’t even like Serena and I think the crush was cheap bait, but even I would feel bad for fans of her and her ship if that were to happen.

Because it wouldn’t be a satisfying outcome for the character. I don’t even like Serena and I think the crush was cheap bait, but even I would feel bad for fans of her and her ship if that were to happen.
I agree, but I also don't see that stopping the writers; characters get unsatisfying conclusions all the time; Pokémon get suddenly removed for no real reason just to clear space (like Ambipom or Pidgeot) and plot lines just get dropped.

I agree, but I also don't see that stopping the writers; characters get unsatisfying conclusions all the time; Pokémon get suddenly removed for no real reason just to clear space (like Ambipom or Pidgeot) and plot lines just get dropped.
That is true, they can do whatever they want. But I feel like they would avoid it here since I don't think they are getting some kind of mandate to bring Serena back.

I still really hate it whenever people make a big deal about Serena's crush and claim that she can't come back because of it or that the crush would make her return kind of messy. I always felt like fans made a bigger deal about Serena's crush than the series did and that's still the case despite XY ending years ago.

She's the only character that hasn't appeared at all since her departure (not even in a special, while Lillie got a cameo). She is way too dependent on Ash, who treats her just like the run-of-the-mill companion. If she comes back now, what will she even do? Not that Dawn is doing much, but she's the Piplup girl.

Oh, man. In my personal opinion, Piplup is ridiculously overrated. Especially Dawn's Piplup, which is extremely pretentious and obnoxious. What's the importance of being the Piplup girl? For me the importance only exists because of the remake and the prequel, and yet it's minimal.

On the other hand, per se, Dawn is a great character.

Pokémon is no stranger to Chekrov's guns going unfired (oh hello GS ball!) and plot lines getting forgotten about.

Which is, imo, the overall biggest flaw of this entire anime. They just drop stuff and leave a lot of unfinished threads, even back in OS.

I think you're giving too much credit to him. Pochama barely did anything in the last episode, they mostly focused on Hikari and Koharu's interactions instead.
I think they focused on Piplup and Eevee about as much as they did on the girls, but it's the big Pochama plush that caught my eye. It was even shown on the screen during the ending, which was a little too obvious.

Now the official Twitter account uses Piplup and Eevee as the mascots. Imagine you were a young viewer who never watched DP. Wouldn't you think of Dawn as the quirky Piplup girl?

Now the official Twitter account uses Piplup and Eevee as the mascots. Imagine you were a young viewer who never watched DP. Wouldn't you think of Dawn as the quirky Piplup girl?
No, I would think her as Koharu's quirky new friend. And I doubt that most young viewers use twitter. If they just want to push Pochama plushies they could just just give to Gou or Koharu one.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom