• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
It is frustrating when people affect how you feel about a character like that. That's happened to me before and it is so upsetting. As much as I'd rather see Dawn get a Contest episode, Serena performing as a Coordinator would be the one good thing to come out of her decision to use Contests as a training journey for Showcases. Serena coming back without any mention or reference of her crush on Ash would be interesting and unexpected, but I imagine that they'd still want to throw a bone to fans of the pairing. I don't really mind that. I'm not sure if there's anything the writers can do to shake off the girl with crush on Ash characterization fans put on Serena sadly. I'd just be happy with people at least stop treating the kiss as this major roadblock that prevents her from coming back.
If Serena does in fact return, there's no way they won't mention her feelings for Ash in some regard. It's just too large a part (but not the only part!) of her character to ignore.

I very much doubt they’d follow that route, but I really wouldn’t mind if Serena just… moved on. Yeah, Ash was a huge part of her growth, but it would be such an interesting decision to acknowledge that they are just children (regardless of what some may claim regarding XY’s art style) and that childhood crushes very rarely last into adulthood.

Besides, detatching her existence from Ash would be a well deserved glove smack on everyone who reduces her whole character arc to shipping bait.

Guys, girls and friends, I just found out that every time koharu meet a "new" eeveelution she gets a souvenir gift for her eevee. And so, it seems that the ribbon she will use could be the souvenir provided by Sylveon's trainer, which would most likely indicate a return from Serena.

In addition to that, the air date of some episodes has been reversed, an episode focusing on Koharu will be aired soon after Ash's reunion with Clemont and Bonnie (PS: I just found out that the two will return too, Lol). So, can we expect a surprise appearance from Serena?

I really hope so, because, according to the poll, after we dispatch these characters it will be May and Max's turn Lol.

Guys, girls and friends, I just found out that every time koharu meet a "new" eeveelution she gets a souvenir gift for her eevee. And so, it seems that the ribbon she will use could be the souvenir provided by Sylveon's trainer, which would most likely indicate a return from Serena.

In addition to that, the air date of some episodes has been reversed, an episode focusing on Koharu will be aired soon after Ash's reunion with Clemont and Bonnie (PS: I just found out that the two will return too, Lol). So, can we expect a surprise appearance from Serena?

I really hope so, because, according to the poll, after we dispatch these characters it will be May and Max's turn Lol.
I mean, people are saying Sylveon's trainer is going to be Lisia instead of Serena. If that ends up being true, I'll be disappointed, ngl, since I......just don't care about Lisia in the slightest. Again, like many people have said before me, it's the perfect reason to bring her back. Plus, as you just said yourself, the air date of the episode has been reversed to fall right after the Bonnie and Clemont reunion episode; it'd be the perfect tie-in. Finally, and I know others have said this too, but the word "reunions" is pretty suspicious. I mean, what, a reunion with Wallace? Ash knew the guy for all of 4 episodes. Doesn't really seem worthy of the term "reunion."

Tracey would be a fantastic returning character, and he was mentioned in one of the Project Mew episodes so the current writers do remember he exists. He'd be a great mentor figure for Goh since he's been Oak's assistant since the end of Orange Islands, and the B-plot being Ash just playing with the pokemon on the ranch is fanservice I'm more than willing watch for the nostalgia alone.

Tracey is the only traveling companion to have had a Pokemon who has canonically produced an egg, as his Marill produced an egg that hatched into the Azurill Misty has at the start of Ash's Battle Frontier campaign (near the end of the Advanced Battle dub season). Given that Professor Elm studies breeding, an episode where Tracey travels to Professor Elm's lab and Ash and Goh are there as well ticks a few more boxes.

Last edited:
Not only did we get Serena (who got to do more than I thought she would), but bonus referential appearances by Steven and MAY!

She may not get a full appearance because of her VA, but at least it's nice to see her remembered. :love:

Now all that's left is a Max cameo or reference and EVERYONE who's ever been on Ash-tachii will have appeared somehow this series.

Last edited:
Oof, May didn't even get any update to her character. Like Lisia could have mentioned May was a famous coordinator from Hoenn or something. And May only got a shared flashback screen with Dawn so May herself was basically an afterthought.

If this was May's one and only reference in this series then it feels like she got the Tracey treatment.

Oof, May didn't even get any update to her character. Like Lisia could have mentioned May was a famous coordinator from Hoenn or something. And May only got a shared flashback screen with Dawn so May herself was basically an afterthought.

If this was May's one and only reference in this series then it feels like she got the Tracey treatment.
Chloe's Contest Costume was said to have been worn by "the Princess of Hoenn", which I'm 90% sure means May.

Misty, Tracey, May, Max, Cilan and Lillie are the only companions that haven’t returned physically just yet. May and Cilan had flashback appearances, though.

The chances Misty will make a return is guaranteed in my opinion. May and Max have this obvious fate so I am not expecting them. Cilan may be out of reach due to his Voice Actor being too expensive. Although I can’t cross him out entirely, I’d say chances are rather slim. Lillie, along with her family, is most likely to return with a conclusion to search of her father. I assumed they left it unsolved in the end of the SM series to conclude it in the upcoming series.

Last edited:
Misty, May, Max, Cilan and Lillie are the only companions that haven’t returned physically just yet. May and Cilan had flashback appearances, though.
If we count fantasies and flashbacks, Max is that only one who's yet to appear.

Is it bad that I don't really have a problem with that? Like, I don't miss that kid. Not really. (Although, and I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll miss Goh even less than Max, and that kid got on my nerves a lot, so that gives you an idea of my opinion of Goh overall.)

Is it bad that I don't really have a problem with that? Like, I don't miss that kid. Not really. (Although, and I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll miss Goh even less than Max, and that kid got on my nerves a lot, so that gives you an idea of my opinion of Goh overall.)
Max is probably the most annoying main character for me. Goh isn't even near the bottom in my personal opinion.

Max is probably the most annoying main character for me. Goh isn't even near the bottom in my personal opinion.

-Max's teasing and mockery of Ash's battle techniques was forgivable when it came from little man, a cunning child with no real experience, but not when it came from Iris, who was a lesser trainer than Ash. Not to mention that, in the end, Max kind of becomes a fan of Ash.

- Still, for me, Cilan was the most bothersome, annoying and tiresome characther.

-Well sometimes flashbacks have a lower value than a simple mention or reference. And, in my opinion, that's what May received.

-I think Wallace's mention of her name and the simple reference to her contest dress were more relevant than "her flashback", an static image in which May is displayed in profile and with virtually no focus, while Dawn and Wallace steal most of the scene.

Last edited:
Max was basically ‘dead weight the character’. To this day I can’t even imagine what the writers were thinking with inventing a younger sibling to attach to May who couldn’t really contribute anything due to being too young to even have a Pokémon. Considering that we can’t get past a year within the anime as to allow him to age enough to be able to become a trainer, I can’t imagine what we could even get out of a potential return unless he’s paired with Norman or May.

Max was basically ‘dead weight the character’. To this day I can’t even imagine what the writers were thinking with inventing a younger sibling to attach to May who couldn’t really contribute anything due to being too young to even have a Pokémon. Considering that we can’t get past a year within the anime as to allow him to age enough to be able to become a trainer, I can’t imagine what we could even get out of a potential return unless he’s paired with Norman or May.

-I believe the producers don't agree with you, as they later did it again, this time with Bonnie, a younger sibling attached to her brother who was incapable.....

- And, honestly, I don't see many people complaining about Clemont's little sister. So, if there's a problem with Max, I don't think it's for the reasons you've explained.

- On the other hand, yes, like Bonnie, it's hard to see Max without his older sibling, although it's also possible that he shows up with his father, Norman.

- Futhermore, being Max and Bonnie the only two "little childs" in the anime, and considering that they are quite different characters, I've always been interested to watch an episode focused on a joint adventure of both, although I think that it will never occur.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom