• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
He can just return without a speaking role, just like tracey
It is still not out of possibilities, hence why I said a "proper" return in flesh and bones with actual dialogues and the capacity to carry on an episode plot, or two. That being said, the same could be applied to May since the beginning of this series, as well. But the writers have not decided to apply that option to her either, at the very least not just yet. I guess they do not want to "cut the corners" (if I may say) with Ash's past companions, since most of the cameo appearances were other important/remarkable characters.

Also a side note, I would like to see Eusine in an episode dedicated to him. Since Goh caught a Suciune, he had an actual chance to be relevant without making his appearance out of nowhere. He could have met Goh and we could have had an episode regarding the lore of the legends of Johto.

I'm kind of surprised (and, admittedly disappointed) we're halfway through the battle between Ash and Leon and the past companions and rivals have been so scarce. I know they can still show up, but the timing is starting to come across as weird, especially since they devoted four episodes to the battle. While I can appreciate Journeys bringing back these old characters, the execution has been pretty abysmal. I was hoping this big battle would take it in a better direction, but so far, it definitely doesn't seem like it.

I'm kind of surprised (and, admittedly disappointed) we're halfway through the battle between Ash and Leon and the past companions and rivals have been so scarce. I know they can still show up, but the timing is starting to come across as weird, especially since they devoted four episodes to the battle. While I can appreciate Journeys bringing back these old characters, the execution has been pretty abysmal. I was hoping this big battle would take it in a better direction, but so far, it definitely doesn't seem like it.

tbh, the thing thats the most odd to me is that Brock and Misty aren't in the stadium to support Ash... they are his longest friends (Brock was even his mentor and his best friend). But even if they didn't make it to the stadium, at least let them appear watchig at Oaks, alongside the others (But also show Psyduck, Geodude, Staryu, Crobat and Steelix, since they have been with Ash and Pikachu the longest).

With this series seemingly priding itself on having old characters returning left and right, if we end it without seeing each of his past companions at some point (seriously, where is Kasumi??) in some capacity I'll be super confused.

Especially considering all of the random cameos we've gotten during this tournament, how hard is it to show Haruka watching on a TV somewhere? Or Kasumi watching on her phone? Or Dent listening on the radio?

With this series seemingly priding itself on having old characters returning left and right, if we end it without seeing each of his past companions at some point (seriously, where is Kasumi??) in some capacity I'll be super confused.

Especially considering all of the random cameos we've gotten during this tournament, how hard is it to show Haruka watching on a TV somewhere? Or Kasumi watching on her phone? Or Dent listening on the radio?
There are still two episodes left in this battle, though. I'd start worrying about more companion or rival cameos if we don't see any in the third part since there would be an awful lot to cram into the fourth episode if we don't see any in the third part. However, since I think it's about 50-50 that this battle will initially end in a tie, with Eternatus being Leon's seventh Pokémon going up against a seventh Pokémon of Ash's, I think we should see some more companion and rival cameos in the next episode, and probably more in part 4.

The cameos are probably being saved for the climax of the battle.

I honestly thought that the Arceus specials would have been the last time we'd see Dawn again, since there's no more Sinnoh based games to promote.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see her return during the Ash vs Leon battle. I think Dawn is one of Ash's female traveling companions (aside from Misty), to have made the most appearances outside of their respective series. At this point I wonder if she has surpassed Misty in the number of appearances.

I feel like the writers could've also made Serena show up at the stadium to cheer for Ash, as her and Chloe have already met before. I wonder why they only decided to have Dawn return?

I honestly thought that the Arceus specials would have been the last time we'd see Dawn again, since there's no more Sinnoh based games to promote.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see her return during the Ash vs Leon battle. I think Dawn is one of Ash's female traveling companions (aside from Misty), to have made the most appearances outside of their respective series. At this point I wonder if she has surpassed Misty in the number of appearances.

I feel like the writers could've also made Serena show up at the stadium to cheer for Ash, as her and Chloe have already met before. I wonder why they only decided to have Dawn return?
Avoiding Amourshipping

Not gonna lie, for a series that people keep saying is meant to be a celebration of the anime's history, I have been greatly let down by the cameos in it which have been both few and far in-between, plus not that terribly substantive. Even if we end off with a big cavalcade of past companions watching the finale, that would be the bare minimum at this point and wouldn't do much to get me excited. :unsure:

I am not one of those who feels a cameo of an old companion is something to feel grateful for. Like, you know, any fan artist can draw a still image of Haruka watching Satoshi’s match from home. It’s such a bare minimum that it actually feels disrespectful to be thrown such pitiful bones by the producers to then say ‘look how we’re honouring the history of the show!’

The reason why Kasumi and Takeshi’s returns in Alola, for example, felt worthwhile was because they were not just showing their faces for the sake of it. Both demonstrated growth, pushed along the plot and integrated meaningfully with the cast in the setting of that time. Some of the companion returns in PM may have achieved this (although I don’t know if to the same extent) but definitely any upcoming cameos will not.

(I think I’ll genuinely be more cross if Kasumi makes a one-off cameo appearance watching Satoshi’s match from far far away than if she doesn’t show up at all in this series.)

Not gonna lie, for a series that people keep saying is meant to be a celebration of the anime's history, I have been greatly let down by the cameos in it which have been both few and far in-between, plus not that terribly substantive. Even if we end off with a big cavalcade of past companions watching the finale, that would be the bare minimum at this point and wouldn't do much to get me excited. :unsure:
The quarterfinals of the Masters Eight Tournament were filled to the brim with cameos.

I am not one of those who feels a cameo of an old companion is something to feel grateful for. Like, you know, any fan artist can draw a still image of Haruka watching Satoshi’s match from home. It’s such a bare minimum that it actually feels disrespectful to be thrown such pitiful bones by the producers to then say ‘look how we’re honouring the history of the show!’

The reason why Kasumi and Takeshi’s returns in Alola, for example, felt worthwhile was because they were not just showing their faces for the sake of it. Both demonstrated growth, pushed along the plot and integrated meaningfully with the cast in the setting of that time. Some of the companion returns in PM may have achieved this (although I don’t know if to the same extent) but definitely any upcoming cameos will not.

(I think I’ll genuinely be more cross if Kasumi makes a one-off cameo appearance watching Satoshi’s match from far far away than if she doesn’t show up at all in this series.)

I've honestly not been sure how to accurately describe the way I feel about how Journeys has utilized certain character returns but...this is it. You said it 100% better than I ever could've.

I will fully admit that Misty not showing up at all yet, sans a one second silhouette at the very beginning of the series, has really ticked me off. Part of it may very well just be selfish because she's my absolute favorite companion, but the other part aligns with exactly what you're saying: she and Brock were the original companions. Why are neither of them there? I'm really supposed to believe the only two companions who actually sat on the field while Ash used to battle in these big competitions aren't even in the stands? Freaking Alain's gotten more screen time than either of them this series (no, I'm not counting the Arceus special Brock was in.) Same with Cilan, May, and Max. And even though those might be under different circumstances, it's still a bummer. And, like you also said, a lot of the returning characters' appearances haven't really done much in terms of relating to the plot or having meaningful integration. The time for any of that is pretty much up at this point in the series.

I kept trying to tell myself I'd be grateful even if Misty and Brock were just shown watching him on TV, but honestly, I wouldn't be. I'd be super annoyed.

So, I guess at this point, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed for a probably poorly timed in person appearance, because the other option, as much as I've tried to deny to myself it wouldn't be, would be a total letdown.

I spy with my little eye

Todd Snap
SPOILER_vlcsnap-2022-11-11-07h41m46s981.png

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom