• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Older Ash???

Obviously. But it's still stupid as hell.

To older people but it makes sense for the kiddies. Plus it might get them interested in the older games.

I don't take "advertisement" as valid explanations for anything in the shows I watch. No matter how much it's the truth in reality.

Nevertheless, it's still rather stupid either way. Dogasu is owned by Homika in the Black 2 and White 2 games. Kids don't need to play the older games to know what it is...

I don't think they're going to make him older because Pokémon's main target audiance are kids around the age of 10.
There are plenty of anime series that are aimed around that age which use older protagonists.

Where the games out then(and for how long??), I can't remember, I try to block out that travesty of a battle.

Where the games out then(and for how long??), I can't remember, I try to block out that travesty of a battle.
The episode came out a week before the games came out. Regardless, the kids were going to find out what a Dogasu was either way, and Satoshi himself could have explained what a Dogasu was to the viewers if the writers really felt they were that slow.

The episode came out a week before the games came out. Regardless, the kids were going to find out what a Dogasu was either way, and Satoshi himself could have explained what a Dogasu was to the viewers if the writers really felt they were that slow.

Yes but it made sense at the time, we didn't know her team at the time and it was like the first pokemon not native to Unova outside of Pikachu and Meowth that Ash had seen.

Yes but it made sense at the time, we didn't know her team at the time and it was like the first pokemon not native to Unova outside of Pikachu and Meowth that Ash had seen.

Again, they could have had Satoshi explain what a Dogasu was instead of dexing it. Japanese viewers of all ages, let alone international fans, know that this show has been going on for a long time. They wouldn't have batted an eye if Satoshi knew what particular Pokemon were before they knew about them.

Again, they could have had Satoshi explain what a Dogasu was instead of dexing it. Japanese viewers of all ages, let alone international fans, know that this show has been going on for a long time. They wouldn't have batted an eye if Satoshi knew what particular Pokemon were before they knew about them.

I don't really blame him though, a lot has changed since Kanto so it's always good to get a refresher. I mean he hadn't seen that pokemon in ages.

I don't understand how Ash could be older in X/Y when he boarded the plane to Kalos after being in Pallet Town for a few days at the most. What, did he stay on board the plane for over a year or something? I just don't understand how he could suddenly age several years [as most people assume] when the latest episode kinda put that theory to rest.

I don't understand how Ash could be older in X/Y when he boarded the plane to Kalos after being in Pallet Town for a few days at the most. What, did he stay on board the plane for over a year or something? I just don't understand how he could suddenly age several years [as most people assume] when the latest episode kinda put that theory to rest.

What *I* want to know is, how the hell does his hair grow that much after one plane ride (as well as his physique)?

1378202_673265856019146_72568653_n.jpg

I wish there was rhyme and reason in suddenly changing the character designs sometimes...

What *I* want to know is, how the hell does his hair grow that much after one plane ride (as well as his physique)?

1378202_673265856019146_72568653_n.jpg

I wish there was rhyme and reason in suddenly changing the character designs sometimes...

Retcons, dear friends! Retcons...

Last edited:

I only really thought that aspect got stupid when Ash started scanning Pokemon he'd already scanned another 3, maybe 4 times (pretty much every time they showed up, honestly).

I only really thought that aspect got stupid when Ash started scanning Pokemon he'd already scanned another 3, maybe 4 times (pretty much every time they showed up, honestly).

The dexter gives different data in different regions. Looking up the same Pokemon in different regions might give you newer information.

Tell me what will you do if you have a easy-encyclopaedia that gives information just by putting it against the object you want to know about, and you have updated this encyclopaedia from time to time, then isn't knowing the updated information somewhat relevant? Satoshi has always relied upon Dex for information. What is wrong with learning if the dex maytell something new? Pokemon are mysterious creatures and no matter how much you know, you will always have some new information about it. It makes sense if you look at it in the right way.

Finding problems with the writing is easy, but searching for valid explanations is difficult.

Coming to the topic of dicussion, the older Ash theory or time skip theories have been disproved by yesterday's episode. Ash is still ten or is slightly older than ten. He isn't 16 or 26.

The dexter gives different data in different regions. Looking up the same Pokemon in different regions might give you newer information.
Yeah, that's how I always rationalized it. But in some cases, I thought it would portray Satoshi a bit better if he were the one telling, say, Iris about these Kanto Pokemon the younger viewers don't know about, instead of scanning it with the Zukan.

Coming to the topic of dicussion, the older Ash theory or time skip theories have been disproved by yesterday's episode. Ash is still ten or is slightly older than ten. He isn't 16 or 26.
Unless there's a side-story of the plane crashing onto a deserted random island, with a whole story that takes place in three years. Or it was a very, very long plane trip...

I still wished there was rhyme and reason for them making his character design look a bit older. There's no logic in it other than to give false hope. Not even in Pokemon would I believe that hair grows like that in a day...

Yeah, that's how I always rationalized it. But in some cases, I thought it would portray Satoshi a bit better if he were the one telling, say, Iris about these Kanto Pokemon the younger viewers don't know about, instead of scanning it with the Zukan.

Unless there's a side-story of the plane crashing onto a deserted random island, with a whole story that takes place in three years. Or it was a very, very long plane trip...

I still wished there was rhyme and reason for them making his character design look a bit older. There's no logic in it other than to give false hope. Not even in Pokemon would I believe that hair grows like that in a day...

Yes, that part has always been unsatisfactory to me too. But I think he does explain Iris in a few rare cases, like in the Rotom episode in Da! That was one rare case where Satoshi talks about his Sinnoh Adventure.

@second part: The one reasonable explanation would be that Dialga boarded the plane and decided to let time flow for once. Just for the heck of it.

(I am kidding of course).

I think you misunderstood my gripe: Ash scanned Pokemon he'd already scanned in Unova with the Unova Pokedex several times after the initial scan.

For example, say he scanned in an Eevee. That's all well and great, he does have a new Pokedex. However, the next time he encountered an Eevee, he'd scan it again. And then he'd scan it yet again the next time he met one. It's kinda pointless, since he didn't do it with every Pokemon he'd encounter (after scanning them once).

I don't think it matters how much time has technically passed, nor does his actual canonical age really matter (would being 13 instantly be an improvement over 10?), it's more based on if the writers will portray him as maturer. Which, in my opinion, it looks like they might...sure, I don't think they're gonna completely erase his typical shonen hard-headed moments and such, but I do feel we're not going to have another Nimbassa Gym "I forgot my Pokemon!" moment.

I mean, if they can make him look younger and act younger in Best Wishes despite no large amount of time passing, I don't see why the opposite can't happen.

I think you misunderstood my gripe: Ash scanned Pokemon he'd already scanned in Unova with the Unova Pokedex several times after the initial scan.

For example, say he scanned in an Eevee. That's all well and great, he does have a new Pokedex. However, the next time he encountered an Eevee, he'd scan it again. And then he'd scan it yet again the next time he met one. It's kinda pointless, since he didn't do it with every Pokemon he'd encounter (after scanning them once).

Once again, I can show why he does that.

One example of Ash dexing two Pokemon in the same saga is Herdier.

Episode Pokémon Source Entry
BW016 Herdier Ash's Pokédex Herdier, the Loyal Dog Pokémon, and the evolved form of Lillipup. Herdier's hard black fur softens its opponent's attacks like armor.
BW111 Herdier Ash's Pokédex Herdier, the Loyal Dog Pokémon and the evolved form of Lillipup. Always obedient and faithful to their Trainers, Herdier have helped them raise other Pokémon since long ag

See the difference?

Now take a look at Herdier's Game entry

has black, cape-like fur that is very hard and decreases the amount of damage it receives.
White
It loyally follows its Trainer's orders. For ages, they have helped Trainers raise Pokémon.
Black 2
White 2
This very loyal Pokémon helps Trainers, and it also takes care of other Pokémon.

See? This is why Ash dexes Herdier twice in the same saga. It makes sense, you just have to be patient enough to look for the explanation.

I'd have taken that if your anime to game comparison actually paired up, which it doesn't. By comparing it to the games' Pokedex entries (the difference being that the B2W2 entry is a reworded version of the one in BW), all you did was show me the second time he scanned said Pokemon he was provided the proper 'dex entry as is per the games. The first was anime-original, likely even dub-original (in episode 16).

Don't pull at straws man. Ash scanning a Pokemon 2+ times is dumb, especially when he doesn't scan EVERY Pokemon more than once.

To older people but it makes sense for the kiddies. Plus it might get them interested in the older games.

I don't take "advertisement" as valid explanations for anything in the shows I watch. No matter how much it's the truth in reality.

Nevertheless, it's still rather stupid either way. Dogasu is owned by Homika in the Black 2 and White 2 games. Kids don't need to play the older games to know what it is...

I don't think they're going to make him older because Pokémon's main target audiance are kids around the age of 10.
There are plenty of anime series that are aimed around that age which use older protagonists.

This is true, but I've read a couple of articles that that's the main reason why Ash stays 10. Something about japanese kids being able to relate more to him that way. I'm not saying that kids can't relate to older characters, just stating that this is the opinion they had about it. At least that's what i read.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that kids can't relate to older characters, just stating that this is the opinion they had about it. At least that's what i read.
Of course. I'm saying whoever decided that Satoshi *needs* to be ten in order to relate to younger kids has terrible logic, 'tis all.

(Those older characters in BW, and a certain mustached plumber and mute teen with a Master Sword sure keep kids from playing Nintendo games!)

I'm not saying that kids can't relate to older characters, just stating that this is the opinion they had about it. At least that's what i read.
Of course. I'm saying whoever decided that Satoshi *needs* to be ten in order to relate to younger kids has terrible logic, 'tis all.

(Those older characters in BW, and a certain mustached plumber and mute teen with a Master Sword sure keep kids from playing Nintendo games!)

hahaha well said!

Yeah the protagonists from Black and White 2 were amazing. I was so happy to see that they added in older characters. Even their anime trailers showed how much potential a story line like that would have.

I personally think Ash has not aged. Its only the animation style that makes him look older and taller. Here. A little comparison. ash change.png
(click on the pic to make it bigger. clearer to see) :bounce:

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom