• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Older Ash???

SammyW27

Reaction score
Ash's new design makes him look a bit older, or at least bigger. But the idea of him aging sounds just...bizarre :dizzy:. Welcome, but bizarre.

So here's the thing: you think the producers will finally have the cajones to make our boy older? Or is it just his new look?

And if (that being the keyword) so, will they say there was time-skip between BW and XY? Or will there be a big, heapin' helping of retconning?

I apologize in advance for coming off stupid, but one has to wonder and you NEVER know what kind of stunt the producers will try to pull...

Last edited:
I think that it's just his new look and the animation. I can't really see them making Ash older when they went out of their way to remind the audience that he is ten years old at the beginning of BW. I wouldn't be against the idea of making Ash older, but I still don't quite see the point of it when Ash most likely wouldn't act any differently if he was eleven instead of ten.

I think that it's just his new look and the animation. I can't really see them making Ash older when they went out of their way to remind the audience that he is ten years old at the beginning of BW. I wouldn't be against the idea of making Ash older, but I still don't quite see the point of it when Ash most likely wouldn't act any differently if he was eleven instead of ten.

I've heard that him being older might help flesh out how much he has matured, and now that he seemingly doesn't have somebody to fill the mentor role in the group, him being older could make him fit being a mentor more. He already filled such a role before, but there was always somebody older than him when he did. I wouldn't really mind if he aged or not, but this is the perfect time to age him with the role he could fill.

Even if Ash doesn't age, the very fact he seems to be the oldest next to Serena (unless Clemont turns out to be the oldest, but is just short), makes me look forward to how Ash will act in presence of a much younger child. The last time Ash traveled with someone younger than him was with Max and I enjoyed that kind of Ash so here's hoping we get more of that same Ash.

I wouldn't mind Ash tutoring Bonnie or maybe even helping her catch a Pokémon.

I've heard that him being older might help flesh out how much he has matured, and now that he seemingly doesn't have somebody to fill the mentor role in the group, him being older could make him fit being a mentor more. He already filled such a role before, but there was always somebody older than him when he did. I wouldn't really mind if he aged or not, but this is the perfect time to age him with the role he could fill.

I don't think that he would need to age to fit the mentor role. Brock was around when he was the mentor for May and to a lesser extent for Dawn, but Brock didn't do much mentoring by comparison, so aging him just for that would seem rather unnecessary to me.

I don't think that he would need to age to fit the mentor role. Brock was around when he was the mentor for May and to a lesser extent for Dawn, but Brock didn't do much mentoring by comparison, so aging him just for that would seem rather unnecessary to me.

I think it might make for a more interesting group dynamic since Ash being older might make the others look up to him more being an older figure, but like I said I wouldn't mind and it also wouldn't matter much.

Let me just say this. Prior to BW nobody new Ash's age. Everyone thought he was older then 10. BW seemed to de age him for the sake of the BW arc. I still think he was at least 14 in DP myself. Maybe they plan to do the same this time and not say how old he is and let the fans decided. Of course if they do come out and say he is older I'm cool with it.

Well, he does look older than the rest. Maybe at least 11, two year time skip wouldn't make sense, than again time in Pokemon often doesn't :/

I like the idea though, him being a mentor to every one and maybe even cooking? The world would surely end though if that ever happenedXD

I don't really care what people say, or even at this point what the canon says....if they don't explicitly reveal his age in XY, he's aged. End of story. Good night.

If the narrator says he 10 again in XY then will people leave it alone? So what if there are three 10 year olds and an 8 or 7 year old in the group? I rather see a change than to see another older person who looks like they really shouldn't be there.

I can't see it myself. They'll end up not mentioning his age and then when we get to gen 12 they'll tell us he's STILL 10.

Let me just say this. Prior to BW nobody new Ash's age. Everyone thought he was older then 10. BW seemed to de age him for the sake of the BW arc. I still think he was at least 14 in DP myself. Maybe they plan to do the same this time and not say how old he is and let the fans decided. Of course if they do come out and say he is older I'm cool with it.

Not everyone thought that he had aged. It was speculated around by some fans, but people still said that he was ten. Although, I was one of the people who did speculate on how old he was. I just don't see the point of making him older when they reaffirmed that he's still ten at the start of BW.

5 series and he stayed 10 so I don't see him aging until he wins a league which will pretty much never happen.

Not everyone thought that he had aged. It was speculated around by some fans, but people still said that he was ten. Although, I was one of the people who did speculate on how old he was. I just don't see the point of making him older when they reaffirmed that he's still ten at the start of BW.

Well BW was all over the place in more then one ways it was almost as if they wanted to reboot the series and then later were like "screw it" just felt like such an odd of place series in my book. But I don't think aging him would be such a bad move myself. I suppose we can only wait to see what happens. The truth is most of the time anime character never look the age they are. Also what I always found weird is Ash is 10 but he looks older then most 10 yr olds like the girl who got her stater from Juniper and the kid in that AG ep. But I'd rather Ash just have a good personality like in AG and DP and whatever AG he is is fine. The fact he doesn't have an older friend however is what makes me think he could be older however. But whatever they do I'll live with XD

I say that since they have already established that he doesn't age, they might as well just stick with that now.

Though, I know I'm in the minority when I say that.

I'd give it about a 75% chance they either just don't mention his age or he stays 10. Either way, my advice? Don't let yourself start thinking he will definitely be older because you'll just be that much more upset if things don't go that way. Keep chill, writers gonna do what writers gonna do.

Ash aging may be cool, but he can stay ten and be a mentor too. But yeah sure that would make people stop complaining about that he never ages so I can not see something bad in it. But I agree with @Hidden Mew; about Ash aging.

I always think Ash looks nice and older in the previews but then he's always a short little ten-year-old when the actual anime comes around :(
Previews always make him look more intense xD

If the narrator says he 10 again in XY then will people leave it alone? So what if there are three 10 year olds and an 8 or 7 year old in the group? I rather see a change than to see another older person who looks like they really shouldn't be there.
Only if they treat the 8 year old like Max and not give them a Pokemon - which isn't a plot I'd want them to do a second time.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom