• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Older Ash???

I'm still surprised the whole age thing is still a big issue for people. It feels like people use it as a reason to just rag on the anime and the Ash Ketchum character.

If the narrator says he 10 again in XY then will people leave it alone? So what if there are three 10 year olds and an 8 or 7 year old in the group? I rather see a change than to see another older person who looks like they really shouldn't be there.
Only if they treat the 8 year old like Max and not give them a Pokemon - which isn't a plot I'd want them to do a second time.

They could still give Bonnie one or two pokemon and Ash could still be more of a mentor type. She still is young, so she definetly can learn something from him.

They could still give Bonnie one or two pokemon and Ash could still be more of a mentor type. She still is young, so she definetly can learn something from him.
The whole reason Ash (and Dawn and May) was 10 in the first place was because that was the age when you get your stater Pokemon - a major part of the storyline of the characters is the finally turning 10 and getting a starter Pokemon.

Especially considering how much I wanted Max to be able to catch some of the Pokemon he befriended, it would suck if suddenly in Kalos a younger kid could have Pokemon.

Though even if they did age Ash, Bonnie still looks younger than '10' so it still would be strange if she got a Pokemon.

The whole reason Ash (and Dawn and May) was 10 in the first place was because that was the age when you get your stater Pokemon - a major part of the storyline of the characters is the finally turning 10 and getting a starter Pokemon.

Especially considering how much I wanted Max to be able to catch some of the Pokemon he befriended, it would suck if suddenly in Kalos a younger kid could have Pokemon.

Though even if they did age Ash, Bonnie still looks younger than '10' so it still would be strange if she got a Pokemon.

Not really because we don't know if Serena will be a beginning trainer or not and we know Ash isn't one. However, we've seen young kids carrying cute sometimes small pokemon on the show before, so I don't think it will put her in jail if she were to have at least one small pokemon. I like Max, but that's one thing they could have bent the rules for especially when there were kids his age he interacted with that had pokemon while he didn't.

I'm so sad at how they chibified clemont and serena. Now ash looks like the oldest member of th group.

Ash does look noticeably taller than Clemont, which is saying something since the latter looks older than he does in the games. Serena clearly looks younger than her game counterpart, but I think that she still looks older than 10. So if I had to guess, both Ash and Serena are around 12 now, but their ages won't be confirmed.

Ash won't age because if that happens, eery character has to age, even including somebody with her intimal cloth under her shirt should be of big size.

Last edited:
If they do such a controvercial thing, i belive they will make him age to the glorious age of 10 and 2 days

It makes sense that he is 11 NOW, because Nurse Joy told Ash on several occasions that "The Unova League is only Three Months Away!" At the beginning of BW Ash was 10 Years and 10 Months Old. The Unova League has already taken place, so 10Months+3Months=13 Months which(in time) means that Ash already celebrated his eleventh birthday, so in Kalos he will be 11

It makes sense that he is 11 NOW, because Nurse Joy told Ash on several occasions that "The Unova League is only Three Months Away!" At the beginning of BW Ash was 10 Years and 10 Months Old. The Unova League has already taken place, so 10Months+3Months=13 Months which(in time) means that Ash already celebrated his eleventh birthday, so in Kalos he will be 11

Dude, don't try to do time math with this show (or most other Anime for that matter). It NEVER works :dead:

Just as the Indigo League was only "two months away" after Ash earned his Earth Badge, the Johto League also only "three months away" following Ash's Blackthorn City Gym battle victory, etc.. Therefore, it should make more sense for Ash to be older than eleven by now, but he's not - because he doesn't age.

Last edited:
Just as the Indigo League was only "two months away" after Ash earned his Earth Badge, the Johto League also only "three months away" following Ash's Blackthorn City Gym battle victory, etc.. Therefore, it should make more sense for Ash to be older than eleven by now, but he's not - because he doesn't age.

The times until the league given actually generally correspond with the time until the first league episode airs in real life. As I doubt the series is actually supposed to progress in real time for multiple reasons, I wouldn't take "x months until the league" as in-series literal.

The times until the league given actually generally correspond with the time until the first league episode airs in real life. As I doubt the series is actually supposed to progress in real time for multiple reasons, I wouldn't take "x months until the league" as in-series literal.
Looking through the original airdates, I can see that this is indeed the case for at least some of the leagues, but not for the Unova League - there was a five-month gap between the Virbank Gym challenge and the league (of course, the Junior Cup Tournament took up a full month...).

Still... you may be right. That would make more sense at least, anyway.

I would hope that he has aged but I wouldn't really mind if he didn't by this point. Also, Satoshi probably looks older because they added teeth to his design.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom